TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #21 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #18 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES #18 …
WildSide, Dee Snider, Tour Drama, Baywatch, New Label Search and Living in Reseda
#tuff #stevierachelle #tuffdiaries #wildside #drewhannah #deesnider #widowmaker #baywatch #hooters #reseda
#dannywilder #jorgedesaint #michaellean #tourdrama #sludge #goodguyswearblack #theallnewgeneration #metalsludge
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-18-w ... in-reseda/

$tEvil
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #18 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by SikkiNixx »

Watched that Minneapolis show.. you guys were tight and sounded good... everyone plays like pros.. But shit.. it was just too late and in a scene that got too watered down...
Cool that you listened to Slik Toxic.. They're from here and along with Sven Gali, were two bands who were awesome and had the chops, but again.. late to the party. Sven Gali had a great chance to go big, but they literally wasted like 5 - 6 years waiting for the "better deal", which never really came. So by the time they finally got out and rolling on tour with a solid single in rotation in radio and TV, it was over before it left the ground. Sven are from the Southern Ontario/Toronto area, and when they got to the west coast, Whistler B.C. and Much Music did their big Sno Jam live to air concert, Sven Gali were being pelted with snow balls on national TV. Which was funny, I'll admit. But if they took the first offer and got that shit out while the iron was hot, like in 1987, their story might have a different ending. I'll bet there were a lot more bands who did the same thing as far as the "We're great.. so, we'll just reject offers until the right one comes along" attitude.. You can find that Sven show on YouTube if you like seeing hair bands get blasted with snow balls from the audience.
Anyway, we're digging the diary entries bro! It's great to read that stuff from someone who was there to see it all go down in person.
New World Under Attack
No Telling If We'll Make It Out
Or Turn To Black
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

SikkiNixx wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:00 am Watched that Minneapolis show.. you guys were tight and sounded good... everyone plays like pros.. But shit.. it was just too late and in a scene that got too watered down...
Cool that you listened to Slik Toxic.. They're from here and along with Sven Gali, were two bands who were awesome and had the chops, but again.. late to the party. Sven Gali had a great chance to go big, but they literally wasted like 5 - 6 years waiting for the "better deal", which never really came. So by the time they finally got out and rolling on tour with a solid single in rotation in radio and TV, it was over before it left the ground. Sven are from the Southern Ontario/Toronto area, and when they got to the west coast, Whistler B.C. and Much Music did their big Sno Jam live to air concert, Sven Gali were being pelted with snow balls on national TV. Which was funny, I'll admit. But if they took the first offer and got that shit out while the iron was hot, like in 1987, their story might have a different ending. I'll bet there were a lot more bands who did the same thing as far as the "We're great.. so, we'll just reject offers until the right one comes along" attitude.. You can find that Sven show on YouTube if you like seeing hair bands get blasted with snow balls from the audience.
Anyway, we're digging the diary entries bro! It's great to read that stuff from someone who was there to see it all go down in person.

Glad you are digging the Tuff Diaries and that show...

As for how things unfolded for us, Sven Gali, Slik Toxik or WildSide... it's just a mix of timing, and who, what, where, why, when and how.

So many contributing factors go into this stuff... and that's why it's even more mind boggling when guys throw it all away, over dumb decisions, flat out stupidity or chemical abuse.

Name someone... Adler in GNR, Lane, Bach with Skids, Ace in Kiss, DuBrow, Crosby with Ratt, and so on... some alive, some are already dead a decade.

Getting the chance with a major label in itself, is like winning the lottery... not many get that deal or opportunity. And if you do, you should learn from it and appreciate it as well.

Many don't do either...

$tEvil
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Post by BlackCrypt »

Did the house look the same then as it does now??

Constantine wrote:ur a fkn degenerate,
Metal Sludge wrote:It is after all, only a message board...relax!
Trist805 wrote:Chip, You owned me and I will admit defeat. I love big black cocks. Hope you are happy.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

BlackCrypt wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:44 pm Did the house look the same then as it does now??

When we were there... maybe worse. Lol.

Seriously though, we lived there almost 30 years ago... and I kept the place MUCH nicer than that.

I have drive by a few times over the years and thought who ever lived there was a f'ing slob for sure.

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Terror On Elm Street wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:54 am
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: I was intimidating
Obvi you haven't seen me in the little red towel... in person... yet!

$tEvil :lol:
John Oates Mustache
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by John Oates Mustache »

$tevil,

I'm stuck in the hospital. How about an update?
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES #19 …
Michael Resigns, River Phoenix, Thirsty Whale, He’s Got a Gun, Stolen Van and Danny Quits
#tuff #stevierachelle #tuffdiaries #numbernineteen #1993 #jorgedesaint #michaellean #dannywilder #toddchase #atlanticrecords #mtv #metaledge #facesmagazine #circus #hitparader #hollywood #sunsetstrip #sludge #metalsludge
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-19-m ... nny-quits/

$tEvil
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:50 pm TUFF DIARIES #19 …
Michael Resigns, River Phoenix, Thirsty Whale, He’s Got a Gun, Stolen Van and Danny Quits
#tuff #stevierachelle #tuffdiaries #numbernineteen #1993 #jorgedesaint #michaellean #dannywilder #toddchase #atlanticrecords #mtv #metaledge #facesmagazine #circus #hitparader #hollywood #sunsetstrip #sludge #metalsludge

$tEvil
Quite a read!!! Thanks!
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #19 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by Black Stuff »

Wow. Awesome read CEO, yet heartbreaking at the same time
The power of Sludge compels you.
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #19 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by jhenders »

Just finished reading #19. Awesome read! I was at the October 20th Albuquerque show.

Curious to know: did My Hero and Cherry Street do the entire Fall '93 tour with you?
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

jhenders wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:41 pm Just finished reading #19. Awesome read! I was at the October 20th Albuquerque show.

Curious to know: did My Hero and Cherry Street do the entire Fall '93 tour with you?

"""""""Curious to know: did My Hero and Cherry Street do the entire Fall '93 tour with you?""""""""

Oh yeah, I actually meant to mention they were are some shows...

Actually, no, they only did a handful of dates... I wanna say New Mexico, Texas and a few more after, like a week or so.

We were out for close to 2 months, they only did like 6-8 shows give or take.

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Black Stuff wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:35 pm Wow. Awesome read CEO, yet heartbreaking at the same time
Thanks for the props...

Yeah... I wouldn't say "heartbreaking", but... to the average Joe Rocker, MOST guys would have folded and quit early on.

People make jokes about Tuff, Bang Tango, BulletBoys and the name that should not be named... but doing this, for this long, even back then, is NOT an easy road!

I may joke on a lot of these bands as well, but I have plenty of respect for them all... 24 out 25 musicians don't make it past their local bar band gig!

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

SeniorGrande wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:23 pm
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:50 pm TUFF DIARIES #19 …

$tEvil
Quite a read!!! Thanks!
Mucho Thankos Mexicano!

$tEvil :D
soulonfire
Headlining Clubs

Post by soulonfire »

Great read as always. In case you're curious, there is now a storage unit place where The Cell Block once stood. That Red Roof Inn is still there and rattier than ever.
Danzig in the Dark wrote:Roadhead, you are the Jar Jar Binks of Metal Sludge.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

soulonfire wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:11 am Great read as always. In case you're curious, there is now a storage unit place where The Cell Block once stood. That Red Roof Inn is still there and rattier than ever.
Glad you enjoyed it...

Philly was always fun for us...

$tEvil
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

Fantastic read $tevil!
I know this is a labor of love but know many of us enjoy a peak behind real working / touring musicians stories. We know the Jovi / Aerosmith / Metallica types with private jets. Busses. Large crew and support to ensure any issues don’t happen are the exception. So seeing the challenges keeps it real. Especially pre cell phone / Google maps / Orbitz apps for rooms. Etc.

Couple questions and perhaps it’s coming in next installment.
What happened to Danny? Still in biz? Even local level? You guys stay in touch at all? Guessing Alice in Thunderland didn’t have massive success. Honestly that name is / was terrible.

Second question. When you played Chicago at Thirsty Whale. Then the next night at another club in Chicago area. Was promoter upset ? I know many clubs have radius clauses. But hey you hit Chicago again a month later so demand had to be there.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

gtrjay wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:04 am Fantastic read $tevil!
I know this is a labor of love but know many of us enjoy a peak behind real working / touring musicians stories. We know the Jovi / Aerosmith / Metallica types with private jets. Busses. Large crew and support to ensure any issues don’t happen are the exception. So seeing the challenges keeps it real. Especially pre cell phone / Google maps / Orbitz apps for rooms. Etc.

Couple questions and perhaps it’s coming in next installment.
What happened to Danny? Still in biz? Even local level? You guys stay in touch at all? Guessing Alice in Thunderland didn’t have massive success. Honestly that name is / was terrible.

Second question. When you played Chicago at Thirsty Whale. Then the next night at another club in Chicago area. Was promoter upset ? I know many clubs have radius clauses. But hey you hit Chicago again a month later so demand had to be there.

Thanks for the props...

Danny = RIP!

He OD'd in 2005, which I have talked about on here at some points along the way!
>>> https://bravewords.com/news/former-tuff ... g-overdose

Chicago... correct, there was a radius clause... but usually we would do 2 days, 2 shows a day (4 shows total) at the "Thirsty Whale".

On one of our tours, we did 3 days, and added the Sunday, for an All Ages afternoon show, playing 5 shows in 3 days. We drew a good crowd there.

On some of our tours, they didn't mind if we played another suburb, if it was some distance away. I recall playing "Chances R" in Schaumburg on a tour, and playing another show, a day later in the same general area... maybe "Cubby Bear Lounge" or either "Vic" or "Gateway Theater".

$tEvil
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

That was funny how Jimmy went on a tear on you. A simple "No guest list except your mom" would have sufficed but instead he completely unloaded about the bullshit bands pull. I'd have been mad about being yelled at about something I haven't done but you handled it well. I used to work with bands in clubs and I absolutely understand his frustration as some band members will be assholes if you let them.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:32 am That was funny how Jimmy went on a tear on you. A simple "No guest list except your mom" would have sufficed but instead he completely unloaded about the bullshit bands pull. I'd have been mad about being yelled at about something I haven't done but you handled it well. I used to work with bands in clubs and I absolutely understand his frustration as some band members will be assholes if you let them.

Yeah, he was a great guy... old school Italian Chicago guy...

One day we were talking and he went OFF on Jackyl... big time.

Their road manager walked into his office, and said "Where are the 4 loaders, to unload our truck?"

And Jimmy said: "Are you not traveling with any crew?" And the guy said: "Sure, there are 9 of us total with the band."

Jimmy then in some fashion said: "When you get YOUR guys ready, standing at the back of the truck, with their gloves on, I will get my guys ready too."

The guy then started rambling about a contract... and what not.

Jimmy basically told the guy: "I am not having my guys unload all of your shit, while your guys stand around smoking cigarettes watching us."

More rambling from the tour manager...

And Jimmy said: "Get YOUR guys ready, or FUCK OFF and take a hike... I don't NEED your show... you can walk and I am not gonna sweat it!"

The Jackyl tour manager got his guys ready and they unloaded it together.

$tEvil :D
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

Damn. These are the stories I enjoy! Tour managers. Dynamics in band. Talent buyers. I mean play time by a dumpster is fun too but these are gold! :lol:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
MetalSludgeCEO

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #20 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES (Entry #20) …
1994, Northridge Earthquake, Kurt Cobain, forming RLS Records and releasing “Fist First”
#tuff #stevierachelle #tuffdiaries #1994 #northridgeearthquake #kurtcobain #nirvana #jamiefonte #jimilord #dannywilder #michaellean #toddchase #jorgedesaint #brianmcevoy #irsrecords #grandslammrecords #mtv #glam #hairbands #sunsetstrip #hardrock #heavymetal #sludge #metalsludge
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-20-1 ... ist-first/

$ludge
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #20 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I remember that earthquake! I had just gotten back from an after party not an hour before in a ground floor apartment I shared with my dad. Woke up to a deafening rattling and my dad shouting at me to get up. We got under our bedroom doorways but my dad laid flat on the ground with only his head under the doorway. I kept screaming at him to get all the way under but he ignored me. We should have run outside but my dad was too stubborn and I was drunk. This was Newport beach so it wasn't as bad as LA but wow that was terrifying.
bang
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by bang »

I remember my little Hollywood studio apartment shaking like crazy.

Luckily I didn't own alot of the stuff at the time.
I remember the TV flying across the room,
but didn't hit anyone , so no one got hurt.

Spent the rest of the AM hours sitting on the corner Highland Ave talking to my neighbors,
afraid to go back inside because of aftershocks.

Up until this point Earthquakes were still pretty new to me,
and I had actually enjoyed the first couple.
But not this one.
This one scared the shit out of me.

I thought the building was gonna collapse on us.
Mirrored_Iceman
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Mirrored_Iceman »

Hey CEO! Haven't been around here for a while, but came back and caught up on the diaries. Wow, great reads! I know Billy from Philly, went to high school together and we were in our first "band" together (he could play, me not so much). Saw him a couple years ago, he sat in on some jams with me and some buddies (I can play now). He was still or was at that time beating the drums hard as hell.

Any new updates coming? When will we see chapter 21?
....Those who live by

the Sludge die by the Sludge....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/arsace13/m.html ... 7675.l4064
MetalSludgeCEO

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #21 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES #21 …
Fist First Tour, Making F#@%ing Videos, Building Bunk Beds, O.J. Simpson and Rock Club + Strip Club = Awesome
#tuffdiaries #tuff #stevierachelle #fistfirst #rlsrecords #tourdiary #jorgedesaint #jimilord #jamiefonte #hollywood #sunsetstrip #rocknroll #reality #lifeontheroad #ryder #metalsludge
https://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-21- ... b-awesome/

$tEvil
Mirrored_Iceman
Opening for Slaughter

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #21 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by Mirrored_Iceman »

GREAT READ as usual! The makeshift RV in the back of a Ryder truck is crazy but awesome!
....Those who live by

the Sludge die by the Sludge....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/arsace13/m.html ... 7675.l4064
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Mirrored_Iceman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:36 am GREAT READ as usual! The makeshift RV in the back of a Ryder truck is crazy but awesome!
Yeah... some crazy sh!t for sure...

At this point in my life I often look back and think "What the F#@k were we doing?" lol

$tEvil
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Post by SikkiNixx »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:52 pm TUFF DIARIES #21 …
Fist First Tour, Making F#@%ing Videos, Building Bunk Beds, O.J. Simpson and Rock Club + Strip Club = Awesome
#tuffdiaries #tuff #stevierachelle #fistfirst #rlsrecords #tourdiary #jorgedesaint #jimilord #jamiefonte #hollywood #sunsetstrip #rocknroll #reality #lifeontheroad #ryder #metalsludge
https://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-21- ... b-awesome/

$tEvil
I have a neat little story to share here. So when my older brother graduated college, he got hired for a company that he works for til this very day.. and they are one of the world's leading new-tech companies.. and they were developing a new mountable camera operating system for vehicles and they were working on getting a stable video image from a moving vehicle and have the image stay solid.. so they mounted this prototype camera to a helicopter one afternoon, and they're flying it out over LA to test it and then analyze the results.. so they're recording from the air, and look down over the freeway and see a shit ton of police cars lined up behind a white SUV cruising down the highway.. so they stay on it, and an hour later, that footage was on every television in the western world!!
I know, crazy, right? The device my brother's team were working on just caught the biggest
event in America at the time.. OJ Simpson cruising down the highway 😂🤣😅
Needless to say, a year later the company moved from a one story unit in a plaza on the side of the highway to a giant building on the edge of the escarpment overlooking the city and Lake Ontario.. all from that chance encounter on testing day.
The company is Harris L3, and they have a YouTube channel if you want to see what else they have been up to!
New World Under Attack
No Telling If We'll Make It Out
Or Turn To Black
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

SikkiNixx wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:17 am The company is Harris L3, and they have a YouTube channel if you want to see what else they have been up to!
Crazy. I'm in Melbourne, FL and Harris is HUGE here.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12