Who believes Greta van Fleet is an "Arena act"?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

CANT_GET_ENUFF69
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Who believes Greta van Fleet is an "Arena act"?

Post by CANT_GET_ENUFF69 »

Just saw they announced a tour playing all major NBA arenas. Look, I understand they have some sort of a fan base, but in no way do I believe they are an arena band. If you look at the sales, there's a shit load of tickets available at these shows too...

What optics have you seen that show they are a major band? I never see their shirts being worn at any show or anywhere for that matter. They have no real hit songs, and you could most likely go up to anybody in public and they wouldn't know any of their songs either. The only way I ever hear about them is through carefully crafted press releases about how great they are and how they are the saviors of Rock n roll or them getting placed onto bigger shows like Metallica (even though the audience could care less about them).
Even Eddie Trunk, one of the biggest supporters of boomer rock and 70's inspired shit, doesn't get it. Their biggest claim to fame is they "ripped off" Led Zeppelin.

If you look at other rock bands who have reached arena status, there's a real thing you can see. Like Ghost for example. There's no denying them. You see their shirts everywhere, you see the buzz, it's real. People "get it". I have a feeling your gonna be getting some nice 4 for 1 ticket offers to see Greta very soon....
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Who believes Greta van Fleet is an "Arena act"?

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Agreed. GVF must have a very wealthy person or company behind them pushing this. Where as Ghost getting to arena level happened organically. You could feel the buzz in the air increasing at their live shows as well as on social media. Their upcoming tour is selling really well also. Tobias also has done a great job in all aspects getting the band to this point. And like u said, ghost merch is super popular and still growing. GVF seems very forced, not only in their ripped off music and image, but also this arena tour and everything about them
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Took a look, and they seem to be selling really well. Detroit pretty much sold out, most of the arena's I looked up are about half sold.

Prices are pretty reasonable, so looks like will work out.

What surprises me most is that they have no real "name" openers. They are selling the tickets themselves.

These guys are the new Nickelback, where everyone hates them, but they thrive regardless.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

GVF need to add Mudvayne to the tour
Then I believe it’s an arena act

Trunk would get all you can eat pop corn deal
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
CANT_GET_ENUFF69
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by CANT_GET_ENUFF69 »

https://www.ticketmaster.com/greta-van- ... 8C1D8E4B9A

Their Forum show is selling horribly
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

CANT_GET_ENUFF69 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:30 am https://www.ticketmaster.com/greta-van- ... 8C1D8E4B9A

Their Forum show is selling horribly
The entire floor and most of the lower bowl is sold. How is that selling horribly?

Turn off the filters for the re-sale and Platinum and you will see what has actually been sold
Last edited by daveg on Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I just looked up the Ticketmaster chart for the T-Mobile Arena in Vegas and every section is dark blue. Prices are more than reasonable, I'll give them that.

Some of the "sold" seats seem like bullshit promoter holds too. Like... why would somebody buy seats in the last row of a section when there are plenty of better seats for the same price?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

I saw them about six months ago in a small arena.
Obviously some promoter thinks they can play the larger ones.
You all sound like cranky old men.
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

daveg wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:19 am These guys are the new Nickelback, where everyone hates them, but they thrive regardless.
Except Nickelback has sold 50,000,000 albums. The idea that "everyone hates them" has always been ridiculous.
HORRORHOLIC1979
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HORRORHOLIC1979 »

CANT_GET_ENUFF69 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:34 am Look, I understand they have some sort of a fan base, but in no way do I believe they are an arena band.
Except they absolutely are. I went to their concert in August to see The Pretty Reckless who were opening, it was at Scotiabank arena in Toronto. That's about 20,000 or so and it was completely packed. That whole tour was an arena tour too.

Even when I got the tickets a few days after they went on sale it was nearly sold out. So since they've already done successful arena tours I would say they are clearly an arena band.
"They're never gonna find your face, it's hidden away
I found a very special place where you used to play"
- Alice Cooper
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

TheCULTofMANSON wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:44 am Agreed. GVF must have a very wealthy person or company behind them pushing this.
Been that way from the beginning, when their middle-management fathers bought them their amps, instruments, lessons and outfits. The ultimate corporate-dad-rock band.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

CANT_GET_ENUFF69 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:34 am Just saw they announced a tour playing all major NBA arenas. Look, I understand they have some sort of a fan base, but in no way do I believe they are an arena band. If you look at the sales, there's a shit load of tickets available at these shows too...

What optics have you seen that show they are a major band? I never see their shirts being worn at any show or anywhere for that matter. They have no real hit songs, and you could most likely go up to anybody in public and they wouldn't know any of their songs either. The only way I ever hear about them is through carefully crafted press releases about how great they are and how they are the saviors of Rock n roll or them getting placed onto bigger shows like Metallica (even though the audience could care less about them).
Even Eddie Trunk, one of the biggest supporters of boomer rock and 70's inspired shit, doesn't get it. Their biggest claim to fame is they "ripped off" Led Zeppelin.

If you look at other rock bands who have reached arena status, there's a real thing you can see. Like Ghost for example. There's no denying them. You see their shirts everywhere, you see the buzz, it's real. People "get it". I have a feeling your gonna be getting some nice 4 for 1 ticket offers to see Greta very soon....
Well, they kinda are.

Except LA is so oversaturated with events right now and they already played the Pond in Anaheim a few months ago.

But thanks for the heads up, got my eye on this for bargains right now.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

This is second hand info, but was told they had a good crowd here in Greenville at the hockey arena (15k capacity) in March.
Deege
Headlining Clubs

Post by Deege »

Here's the thing...a girl I used to work with, I met for dinner once, and she was cranking GVF in her car when she pulled up and drove away...she's not someone really hugely into hard rock/heavy music, probably into a lot of pop. So I took that as indicative that they have a pretty random fanbase. Old guys who miss Zeppelin...their kids...and tons in between. A lot of people dig them for some reason. I can't get past the singer's voice...yeah, he sounds a lot like Plant...but Plant's voice isn't nails on chalkboard annoying, and his is. Plus I don't find the lyrics to be worth a damn. It's a shame, I want to like them, the band are great players and I like a lot of the riffs.
http://www.FuzzRecordingStudio.com
Affordable Multitrack Recording (Ohio)
http://www.SDMFworldwide.com
The Official Black Label Society Fan-Site
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

Here is a packed arena for GVF in Manchester New Hampshire last fall. I didn’t even know they were there or I would have been too:

https://youtu.be/ttrzpcP2loA

https://youtu.be/ttrzpcP2loA

https://youtu.be/28exvD7zDZk

https://youtu.be/XTYO41UPPHc

https://youtu.be/79rzJzrKIn4

You can see videos from all over America like this!
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

I know a 17 year old girl, who Winger wasn't singing about, and she's not really into rock and her and her teen friends love them. Obviously if they're heading Madison Square Garden and Wembley in London, they're doing something right. I saw them open for Metallica and was looking forward to seeing them but they were boring as shit. Regardless of the Led Zeppelin comparisons, they're a rather bland band live. They sound fine and all but you could watch a YouTube video of them and have the same experience. I wanted to like them and root for them but they just stand there in their outfits and it looks awkward. But if young kids like 'em, well more power to them I guess. At least they're playing instruments.
Last edited by JackieDaytona on Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Biggest thing in rock from the last five years = I want to root for a band like GVF even if I’m not a fan myself.

But I saw them open for Metallica at an indoor football stadium in Atlanta in late 2021 and it was just pitiful. I’m very skeptical of how ‘live’ the guitar was. I was on the floor 10 feet from the barricade and kept taking video because what I was seeing the guitar player do with his hands did not match what I was hearing.

Not sure how well they’ll sell on an arena tour or if they’ve improved in the last 18 months. Lotsa luck I guess.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Promoters, Marketers and when all is said and done, probably the market itself...
Last edited by GreatWhiteSnake on Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

LOL at the ghost pud pullers hating on GVF yet Tobey did it “organically”

Ghost taking the mantle from Kiss.
Or at least the fans are
REO Cokewagon
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by REO Cokewagon »

CANT_GET_ENUFF69 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:34 am Just saw they announced a tour playing all major NBA arenas.
Where did u see this? Electric Eye??
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

DangerZone wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:51 pm LOL at the ghost pud pullers hating on GVF yet Tobey did it “organically”

Ghost taking the mantle from Kiss.
Or at least the fans are
Youll be a Ghost pud puller very soon
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
Hootchietoad
Headlining Clubs

Post by Hootchietoad »

I was fairly early in the GVF world and enjoyed the first EP for what it was… comfort classic rock. Very familiar and easy to listen to. Saw them live the summer prior to the first full album release and they were good live, talented no doubt (well, excluding the incredibly awkward screecher, haha.) On the one hand I agree it is a positive that a rock band is gaining traction with a younger audience, palms were greased, narratives solidified and here we are.

I can only give my take as a get off my lawn guy, but GVF have paid no dues, and that is important to some of us oldsters. Cut your teeth, earn your status…GVF havent done that. Rival Sons, the Struts, Blackberry Smoke all have. I saw GVF last fall because they played 10 minutes from my house, I would not have traveled. It was a 7,000 capacity arena pretty much sold out, though tix could be had for $1 on secondary sites day of. You could cut the pretentioness with a knife. If I recall I may have had more fun at a funeral. The show is not fun, for me at least. I reiterate they are talented, Jake can play no doubt. But for a band this early in their career to leave several popular songs out of their 2 hour set and play multiple 8+ minute solos is shameful and disrespectful to the audience imo.

GVF was anointed the rock band for this generation, good or bad. They are good musicians, the singer is grating AF and there is not an ounce of fun in their shows (seen them twice.) Pretentious and pre-packaged…everything this generation thrives on so it makes total sense they would be successful.

BTW, TD Garden for 9/15 is a sea of red and blue dots. Anyone wanting to go will get in dirt cheap starting in Sept.
Image Image
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Hootchietoad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:01 am

I can only give my take as a get off my lawn guy, but GVF have paid no dues, and that is important to some of us oldsters. Cut your teeth, earn your status…GVF havent done that. Rival Sons, the Struts, Blackberry Smoke all have.
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever read on here. I appreciate you admit to be get off my lawn guy...and I am to a point as well. But you have issues with them cause they wrote a song that happened to catch on?
From what I remember, they met in High School, and practiced and played for years. Not every band is gonna have the same path, and as CEO has always said, luck and timing are important, and they have appear to have had both.

They are gonna have a mostly sold out arena tour. Sure, is gonna be cheap to get in.... but, shouldn't that be a good thing.
Hootchietoad
Headlining Clubs

Post by Hootchietoad »

Sorry, the they were just kids schtick is just that. Three brothers and a friend growing up in an era where everything is documented with video. There is nothing special about this. By the time their first album came out they were about the same age as Eddie Van Halen when VH I came out, Vince and Tommy when Too Fast came out. My take, right or wrong, is that they were fast tracked, undeservedly so, and their reality doesn’t even come close their hype. Seen em twice and each piece of music since the EP is less satisfying. The best thing they could do is ditch the singer but that will never happen since he is a brother.
Image Image
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I pulled up their new single on YouTube to see what I'm missing. Figured maybe they've got a sure-fire hit in the works they're banking this tour on.

It was actually uncomfortable to listen to. Had to turn it off before the end. Yeah, the singer's a big part of it. But the music was some bloated Zeppelin-esque demons and dragons ballad with strings. And totally lacking the elements that made Zeppelin great to begin with.

Can't imagine a teenager going "fuck yeah" to this. No wonder they're all miserable.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I’ll join in the “Get Off My Lawn” sentiments, and I am not yet 40.

Back in my day, there was a band of 15 year olds who were actually super fucking talented and evolved into a completely different/artistically brilliant band by the time they were 20, but as teenagers many thought Silverchair sounded a little too much like Pearl Jam and Nirvana and the singer was relentlessly mocked for it until he developed a well-publicized eating disorder.

…fast forward 20 years, “Omigod there’s this band that are barely in their 20s and they sound just like Led Zeppelin, it’s amazing!” :roll:

As Phil Anselmo would say, “Is there no standard anymore?”
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

I've never even listened to them.

Saying that - they're music for young people. We are old. I'm sure this tour will do very well.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

What does Lenny Wolf think?
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

FreddyFender wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:42 am I've never even listened to them.

Saying that - they're music for young people. We are old. I'm sure this tour will do very well.
I saw them a few years ago, and it looked like the same crowd that would be at someone like ACDC. Mostly older rockers, with a a good mix of kids, soccer moms etc.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:34 am Back in my day, there was a band of 15 year olds who were actually super fucking talented and evolved into a completely different/artistically brilliant band by the time they were 20, but as teenagers many thought Silverchair sounded a little too much like Pearl Jam and Nirvana and the singer was relentlessly mocked for it until he developed a well-publicized eating disorder.

I remember being impressed when Silverchair left their grunge phase behind and found their own voice with "Straight Lines." Great song.

The band cut their hair and got better. It's called the inverse-Metallica.