Ratt: I Don’t Get It

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

500DaysofNight
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Re: Ratt: I Don’t Get It

Post by 500DaysofNight »

It's hard to top their first 4-5 albums. That's a better, more consistent run than just about every other band from that era. Not to mention Infestation, which blew away anything else those bands had done in years except for maybe Tales from the Strip by LA Guns.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

OOTC was great. Invasion was 50% filler. After that? 2-3 good tunes per release.

Dokken destroyed RATT.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

I liked that the first two full Ratt albums had that EuroMetal/Schenker type of 8th not riffing that was really powerful. They later had some pretty cool songs with more blues feel, but their playing always fit the EuroMetal mold better.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Ratt are awesome. Admittedly their output declined in quality as Robbin's involvement in the songwriting decreased, but it kicked ass. One of the greatest bands of the whole hair metal genre, IMO.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

dmbrocker wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:23 pm Ratt are awesome. Admittedly their output declined in quality as Robbin's involvement in the songwriting decreased, but it kicked ass.
Once he ran out of songs to steal from his old band, his songwriting output declined. He was able to fill the void with drugs tho.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:39 pm
dmbrocker wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:23 pm Ratt are awesome. Admittedly their output declined in quality as Robbin's involvement in the songwriting decreased, but it kicked ass.
Once he ran out of songs to steal from his old band, his songwriting output declined. He was able to fill the void with drugs tho.
As far as I know, none of his contributions on Invasion or Dancing (or the EP, for that matter) had anything to do with his old band.

He did owe them co-writes on the last two songs on Cellar, which they eventually got, from what I understand.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:14 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:39 pm
As far as I know, none of his contributions on Invasion or Dancing (or the EP, for that matter) had anything to do with his old band.

He did owe them co-writes on the last two songs on Cellar, which they eventually got, from what I understand.
No, they didn't... they got the ol' "undisclosed settlement", which according to them wasn't very much.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
LocoBenno
Opening for Slaughter

Post by LocoBenno »

My introduction to Ratt was Detonator in the early 90s and I liked it, but it wasn't until their S/T album in 99 that I found any inspiration to visit their 80s material. I really dug that 99 album, that and Infestation. Saw them live in around '08 at the Metro in Sydney, fantastic show. But to me their 80s albums are spotty and I prefer a best-of over any of them start-to-finish. Can't recall what its called, Tell Me The World? Something like that, that's mostly good.
Cheers and beers

Benno

\m/
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

They are just a good solid rocking band with some very good tunes. Love the first two albums, and their other 80s material is enjoyable. Infestation sucked though. Don't understand what people saw in that album.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

I know what our kid Tom means but it's funny to read the title like he doesn't understand Ratt, that their songs are beyond his comprehension.

That could also be true. I've read Tommy's posts.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:38 pm I know what our kid Tom means but it's funny to read the title like he doesn't understand Ratt, that their songs are beyond his comprehension.

:lol:

I'm actually surprised he hasn't argued with himself in multiple posts in this thread so far.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:38 pm I know what our kid Tom means but it's funny to read the title like he doesn't understand Ratt, that their songs are beyond his comprehension.

OH! Leave me out of this.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Tommy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:49 pm

OH! Leave me out of this.
:lol:

Sorry.

Do not confuse Good Tommy with Bad Tommy, people.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Mikky_Five
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Mikky_Five »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:51 am Was Winger and Warrant really that bad compared to these clowns?
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:21 am Yes.
They was.

End thread.

Ratt were the among the best clowns of the era.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Mikky_Five wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:53 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:51 am Was Winger and Warrant really that bad compared to these clowns?
They was.

End thread.

Agreed. If there's one thing that this forum has indisputably proven, it's that hair metal did NOT get better as time went on.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:42 am
They was.

End thread.

Agreed. If there's one thing that this forum has indisputably proven, it's that hair metal did NOT get better as time went on.
Maybe, but a lot of it was still just as fun to listen to as Ratt, IMO. I still enjoy the likes of Warrant, Sleeze Beez, Slaughter, Trixter, etc. in all their cheesy glory, but that's just me, I guess.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Homogenized cheese.
ImageImage
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

FreddyFender wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:14 am Let me help ya out buddy: millions and millions of people liked the songs, their look was cool to teenagers, ladies were crazy about Pearcy, guys loved the the guitarwork, and their videos were huge hits on MTV.

That’s why they’re all over hair nation.

Winger and Warrant? Hilarious.
Millions and millions of people loved U2 at the time too, something else I didn’t really get.

Van Halen had more fans than Ratt and they aren’t all over Hair Nation and yes, they were pop metal just like the rest of the lot we discuss here.

Warren was good. Stephen was lame. The only lamer frontman I remember seeing was Don Dokken.

Winger and Warrant were also produced by Beau Hill. That’s one reason and the main reason why I name dropped them. The other reason was, I saw them live too and they were both better than Ratt.

While it may not totally apply to Warrant, you could substitute Winger for Ratt in your first paragraph and it would still be a true statement.
The Sacred Cowman
Headlining Clubs

Post by The Sacred Cowman »

They had better songs than 95% of their peers, Pearcy wasn't a great singer but he had a distinctive voice that fit the music, Warren De Martini was a great guitar player, and Juan and Bobby were capable musicians. I think they are a bit overrated, but their success is understandable.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

500DaysofNight wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:48 am It's hard to top their first 4-5 albums. That's a better, more consistent run than just about every other band from that era. Not to mention Infestation, which blew away anything else those bands had done in years except for maybe Tales from the Strip by LA Guns.
Opinions are interesting. You and I completely disagree on this issue. As much as I dislike Motley Crue these days, I would have to give them the advantage in the album comparison. I always liked Motley’s albums way better than Ratt’s. The songs were just better even with some of the filler Motley had. As much as I don’t like it, I’ll take GGG over Dancing Undercover every time.

Dokken has been getting thrown around in this thread too. I always found T&N, UL&K and BFTA far superior to anything Ratt put out at the time.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

The Sacred Cowman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:18 am They had better songs than 95% of their peers, Pearcy wasn't a great singer but he had a distinctive voice that fit the music, Warren De Martini was a great guitar player, and Juan and Bobby were capable musicians. I think they are a bit overrated, but their success is understandable.

You’re high. Ratt had some good songs and singles, but 95% of their peers? Gtfo.

The 80s had no shortage of great guitarists. Juan is a good bassist. Blobs was very average. I could name twenty drummers from the genre that I liked better with average Mick Brown being at the top of the list. Blobs might’ve been slightly below average.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:42 am
They was.

End thread.

Totally disagree. As cheesy as some of them might’ve been, I’ll take bands like Winger, Extreme, Poison, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Mr Big, Chip’s all time favorite band, White Lion and yes, even f*cking Warrant over the likes of Quiet Riot, Ratt, WASP and Black N Blue.

Come to think of it, I’d reach for a Trixter cassette over those four bands these days and often have over the last thirty years.

Face it friends, you’re giving yourselves away. Ratt kinda sucked.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:47 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:25 am
They haven't hit me yet. Any in particular I should give another shot?
Go with this winning trio: Wanted Man, Round and Round, Back for More. And add You Think You're Tuff for good measure. Might as well watch the videos for full effect.

And I second the whiskey recommendation. "I drink whiskey..."
I always hated Wanted Man and YTYT. I still do. RAR and BFM are good.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:46 amCome to think of it, I’d reach for a Trixter cassette over those four bands these days and often have over the last thirty years.
Give it to me good, Steve! OW!
PhrozenInferno
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by PhrozenInferno »

Never got it either.

Sure they have some good songs, but much like people say AC/DC's stuff all sounds the same - that's how I feel about Ratt.

I have respect for Warren, however. He has had memorable guitar parts and seems like one of the only dudes to escape the era with his sanity intact. Good for him.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:55 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:46 amCome to think of it, I’d reach for a Trixter cassette over those four bands these days and often have over the last thirty years.
Give it to me good, Steve! OW!
LOL that’s right, Chip. It’s good to see you’re a Steve Brown fan.

Did you see Warren on TMS? Absolute shiite. Warren is almost as overrated as Ace Frehley.

Ratt suck