Ratt: I Don’t Get It

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Ratt: I Don’t Get It

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

This band gets a lot of love here and on Hair Nation. They get so much love on HN I have oft wondered if Sep has some stock in the channel. What is the appeal?

I saw them live in the 80s and a couple times since. They were lame AF. I was never the biggest fan of Cellar and lost interest after Invasion. I came back and flirted around during Reach but it sucked too. I don’t really remember Dancing Undercover. I didn’t even bother with Detonator.

Was Winger and Warrant really that bad compared to these clowns?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Ratt: I Don’t Get It

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Yes.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Let me help ya out buddy: millions and millions of people liked the songs, their look was cool to teenagers, ladies were crazy about Pearcy, guys loved the the guitarwork, and their videos were huge hits on MTV.

That’s why they’re all over hair nation.

Winger and Warrant? Hilarious.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

It starts with Cellar. If you don't like that then you're never gonna be a Ratt fan.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Funz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Funz »

Ratt are good they're just not that great in so many ways.
Even Poison has more songs and are generally better in every way.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:51 am This band gets a lot of love here and on Hair Nation. They get so much love on HN I have oft wondered if Sep has some stock in the channel. What is the appeal?

I saw them live in the 80s and a couple times since. They were lame AF. I was never the biggest fan of Cellar and lost interest after Invasion. I came back and flirted around during Reach but it sucked too. I don’t really remember Dancing Undercover. I didn’t even bother with Detonator.

Maybe revisit Invasion. It's their best album for getting a "second wind" appreciation for the deep cuts.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Funz wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:59 am Ratt are good they're just not that great in so many ways.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:07 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:51 am This band gets a lot of love here and on Hair Nation. They get so much love on HN I have oft wondered if Sep has some stock in the channel. What is the appeal?

Maybe revisit Invasion. It's their best album for getting a "second wind" appreciation for the deep cuts.
They haven't hit me yet. Any in particular I should give another shot?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I listened to Dancing Undercover and Reach for the Sky back to back today. A bit of filler here and there but mostly good to great songs. I was surprised at how much I like the former, maybe even as much as Invasion.

Pearcy's got a killer, unique voice, Demartini has some bitchin solos, the lyrics are fun, Ratt is awesome.
Funz

Post by Funz »

EzyRider wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:24 am
Funz wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:59 am Ratt are good they're just not that great in so many ways.
It's called Darwinian reality, pal.
Because Demartini is a better guitarist than CC doesn't erase the fact that even Poison wrote more good songs than Ratt.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I think a lot of it has to do with timing. Ratt was there first. They started in the very early 80's. And they were more hard/heavy rock. More guitar riff driven. Not a pop band. The later bands that came out was more song/pop influenced.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Funz wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:38 am
EzyRider wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:24 am
It's called Darwinian reality, pal.
Because Demartini is a better guitarist than CC doesn't erase the fact that even Poison wrote more good songs than Ratt.
Horseshit from the ground up
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:25 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:07 am Maybe revisit Invasion. It's their best album for getting a "second wind" appreciation for the deep cuts.

Start with "Give it All" and take it from there. Don't overthink it. This isn't fine dining. It's candy.

It helps if you've got a buzz going. Whiskey works.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Psychobolia.com

Go with this winning trio: Wanted Man, Round and Round, Back for More. And add You Think You're Tuff for good measure. Might as well watch the videos for full effect.

And I second the whiskey recommendation. "I drink whiskey..."
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:47 am
Go with this winning trio: Wanted Man, Round and Round, Back for More. And add You Think You're Tuff for good measure. Might as well watch the videos for full effect.

I meant Invasion, dingis.

Thanks, MF.
Psychobolia.com

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:59 am
Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:47 am

I meant Invasion, dingis.
Ah! I like the ballad on there, Closer to my Heart.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

The EP, Cellar, and Invasion all do it for me, and Dancing has its moments. After that, I could take a nap between the guitar solos.

As for deeper cuts on Invasion, I think that “Closer To My Heart”, “Between the Eyes”, “Never Use Love”, & What You Give is What You Get” are all excellent…

…but, of course, I’ve been listening to that album since junior high. :lol:
EuroJR
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by EuroJR »

I found myself searching for a song I Don't Get It by Ratt since you used capital letter with each word...
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

I saw them on the "Dancing Undercover" tour. Stephen Pearcy sucked. Shitty vocalist and boring frontman.

Poison blew them off of the stage.
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Funz wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:59 am Even Poison has more songs and are generally better in every way.
Said no one with a penis ever...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Domino
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Domino »

Ratt is the best band from the L.A. scene, period. way better that the Crue.
that bitch bends over and i forget my name
Domino
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Domino »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:33 am I listened to Dancing Undercover and Reach for the Sky back to back today. A bit of filler here and there but mostly good to great songs. I was surprised at how much I like the former, maybe even as much as Invasion.

Pearcy's got a killer, unique voice, Demartini has some bitchin solos, the lyrics are fun, Ratt is awesome.
absolutely!
that bitch bends over and i forget my name
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

BDG135 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:51 am It starts with Cellar. If you don't like that then you're never gonna be a Ratt fan.
exactly. Its like WTF with GNR. I don't get the love for AFD but I love the Spagetti Incident
Funz

Post by Funz »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:28 pm
Funz wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:59 am Even Poison has more songs and are generally better in every way.
Said no one with a penis ever...
Ha :D

You're right, of course:

I have a cock.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

I like the solo of "Round and Round", that's all.
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

Listen to Ratt n Roll 81-91 and if you don't dig at least half the songs, then you'll never like Ratt and can give up.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

The main problem with 81-91 is that half the songs are from Detonator.
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

EuroJR wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:23 pm I found myself searching for a song I Don't Get It by Ratt since you used capital letter with each word...
Haha. Though I didn't go as far as searching for the song, I was also kind of expecting the thread to be about this song I had never heard.

Ratt has never been a band that has intentionally experimented with their sound to bring something "fresh" and "different" to the table with each album release. If you want that, go listen to Pink Floyd. Actually, I'm having trouble thinking of any 80s hard rock band that would fit that criteria...Guns N Roses?

If you want a band that, at least with their 80s catalog, mostly sticks with a consistent sound and style on every album, minus the differences in production and increased lack of participation from a key member of the band (Robbin) by the end of the 80s, then Ratt fits the bill. If you like that style and sound, then you have a fairly extensive catalog of Ratt songs and albums to choose from on any given day.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Or, you have a band that took MTV by storm with a great debut album, but could never follow it up and then slowly unraveled from there as the drugs and internal struggles took hold.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

They make Motley look like musical geniuses.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts