Am I the only one who thinks Billy Squier’s ‘gay’ video wasn’t so bad?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Am I the only one who thinks Billy Squier’s ‘gay’ video wasn’t so bad?

Post by Spongie »

I was 13 at the time and don’t remember thinking anything was wrong with it. Only within maybe the last 15-20 years did I become aware that it was a career killer.

Still love the song. Still don’t give shit about the video. Billy rules.

https://youtu.be/fR0j7sModCI
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Am I the only one who thinks Billy Squier’s ‘gay’ video wasn’t so bad?

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Yes
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Zabooka »

Is it bad enough to be a career killer? Depends what year you are asking in?

In 1984, being gay, or even appearing gay was not much better than being a criminal. So no straight man would want to be caught dead listening to any song or video considered gay.

Now if this video came out in 2023, and you said anything bad about it, you’re career would be killed.
Last edited by Zabooka on Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Same. I was 16. Yeah it was a little fruity/cringey, but let's also remember this was MTVs biggest star at the time:

So on a relative scale it wasn't all that shocking... a fuckup/misstep? Sure, but it also became a convenient revisionist excuse for the decline and fall of a fading star. He was getting murdered on tour by Def Leppard a year before this was in the concept stage, and RATT wiped the floor with him on this tour as well. 1981-82 was his peak, changing the Cock Me Tonite video concept to 10 hot girls ripping his pink tank top off instead wasn't going to slow his decline any, only better songs would but he was tapped out. Once the hit died down that album got flushed fast.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:19 pm Yes
This.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Saw it for the first time just a few years ago. Didn't seem particularly more cheesy than a lot of the stuff that was released in the 80s.

So no, you're not the only one.

It has become the cliché go to answer.

Kind of similar to when people list "We Built This City" as the worst song of all time. It's not even the worst Starship song of all time!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

pieceofme wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:27 pm Saw it for the first time just a few years ago. Didn't seem particularly more cheesy than a lot of the stuff that was released in the 80s.

So no, you're not the only one.

It has become the cliché go to answer.

Kind of similar to when people list "We Built This City" as the worst song of all time. It's not even the worst Starship song of all time!
People into metal in the 80s dug Billy Squier because he had a cool rock-vibe. The solo "dancing" and pink satin sheets kinda ruined that to teens at the time. (he's a shitty dancer which may be the problem here. If he could move 'smooth & sexy', may not have been an issue)

The Starship song is ripped not because it's a shitty song, but because Jefferson Airplane/Starship's entire vibe in the 60s was counter-culture. They stood against everything that was corporate rock. Then they release this, which is the epitome of corporate, sellout, commercial rock. Would be cool if it was with an ironic wink, but it wasn't.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

How you going to compare Boy George to Billy Squier? lol. Culture Club was never trying to be anything else.
Billy was cool as fuck when The Stroke came out and buried his whole career in one 5 min video because it is that gay.
Even now, it's worse than anything that can be written off as of its time.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

The general concensus is that it's a cool song, bad video.

But I think the song sucks! It's bland, goes nowhere, and has a bad chorus. Compared to the stuff on Emotions in Motion it is boring, and most think the album before that is the best.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i like the song and video.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I think Billy has some Central Park gig that he's had for a while now, helping maintain the park somehow??
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

I remember seeing it for the first time with a buddy of mine after school. It was a laugh riot. Something about those moves really stood out, and not in a good way. And it sucks if you ever heard Billy talk about it he just did what the director asked of him. And he basically said it ruined his career. It's a great f****** song though
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Gayer than 8 guys blowing 9 guys.

- Some Sludger in the ‘2000s.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I never thought much about it. To me it was just another video where they're doing some dumb dance because just watching them stand there would be boring. Pat Benatar in Love Is A Battlefield and ZZTop in Velcro Fly did that too and it didn't end their careers. Elton John's I'm Still Standing video was full on in your face gay and that was on MTV every few hours. Billy had a good album but his shtick was just becoming dated. He tried to fit in with the 80's but it just didn't work.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

EzyRider wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:40 pm I think Billy has some Central Park gig that he's had for a while now, helping maintain the park somehow??
For someone who was nothing more a footnote in rock history 10 short years after Cock Me, ol'Billy's set up pretty well. He's got an apt off Central Park and a spread in Bridgehampton. He wrote all his own stuff and got to keep his publishing, so I guess he doesn't want for money.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:27 pm
EzyRider wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:40 pm I think Billy has some Central Park gig that he's had for a while now, helping maintain the park somehow??
For someone who was nothing more a footnote in rock history 10 short years after Cock Me, ol'Billy's set up pretty well. He's got an apt off Central Park and a spread in Bridgehampton. He wrote all his own stuff and got to keep his publishing, so I guess he doesn't want for money.
Not sure of the accuracy but he’s supposedly the most sampled artist on rap songs. So he would get royalties for that too.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Indy_Rob wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:13 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:27 pm
Not sure of the accuracy but he’s supposedly the most sampled artist on rap songs. So he would get royalties for that too.
Right, apparently there's a loop from The Big Beat that got put on a bunch of rap songs, tho like you said I think it makes for a bigger story that it does a paycheck. It ain't like Hammer and Rick James or anything.
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

His career was already in decline and the video certainly didn't help.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

It was definitely not cool at the time, but 2 years later nobody would have given it a second thought, although he might have got called out for trend chasing the "hair" bands. Time and place I guess.

As for the samples, I don't think he made much, if anything on them. Was basically just the drum beat. A few years later the Beastie Boys used hundreds of samples and didn't pay much at all.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

daveg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:00 am It was definitely not cool at the time, but 2 years later nobody would have given it a second thought, although he might have got called out for trend chasing the "hair" bands. Time and place I guess.

As for the samples, I don't think he made much, if anything on them. Was basically just the drum beat. A few years later the Beastie Boys used hundreds of samples and didn't pay much at all.
Eminem sampled The Stroke on Bezerk in 2013 which was well after all the sample laws were put into place.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Darrien wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:13 am
daveg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:00 am It was definitely not cool at the time, but 2 years later nobody would have given it a second thought, although he might have got called out for trend chasing the "hair" bands. Time and place I guess.

Eminem sampled The Stroke on Bezerk in 2013 which was well after all the sample laws were put into place.
I was referring to The Big Beat. But yeah, that one probably made him a boatload of cash.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

He's got a few other stealth moneymakers too - that Xmas song he wrote still gets a few spins, and every time Fast Times gets played on TV he gets a lil'sumpin.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Homophobia run amok...and it's only getting worse...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Mikky_Five
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Mikky_Five »

or NO.

I had no idea the video was 'gay' or 'shit' at the time. Love the song, still. That whole album is pretty damn good. Not so damn good it should be against the law, tho, Florida.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Mikky_Five wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:18 am
or NO.

I had no idea the video was 'gay' or 'shit' at the time. Love the song, still. That whole album is pretty damn good. Not so damn good it should be against the law, tho, Florida.
Great song and album.
You didn’t see a guy in a Richard Simmons pink workout shirt, flailing on the bed and skipping around as a little fruity?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

I think hes saying what I said, which is that if Boy George was a 6 on the Kinsey scale, this was about a 2 or a 3. It got blown out of proportion as a fatal mistake to explain his decline, which arguably started when Def Leppard was blowing him off the stage a year earlier.
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

+1
uwec95
Headlining Clubs

Post by uwec95 »

It was cringe worthy, but not enough to do the damage that it did to his career. His next album, although being good, wasn't good enough for him to recover. I love his 1989 album, Here & Now. If that would have been is follow up release after his prancing video, he maybe could have recovered.
EuroJR
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by EuroJR »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:07 am I never thought much about it. To me it was just another video where they're doing some dumb dance because just watching them stand there would be boring. Pat Benatar in Love Is A Battlefield and ZZTop in Velcro Fly did that too and it didn't end their careers. Elton John's I'm Still Standing video was full on in your face gay and that was on MTV every few hours. Billy had a good album but his shtick was just becoming dated. He tried to fit in with the 80's but it just didn't work.
THIS
LeeRatbag
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by LeeRatbag »

It's a terrible vid, but it's significantly less gay than Priest's "Hot Rocking" vid, and Halford wasn't even out then.
THE KINGCROWS - Bad Time For The GoodTime Generation
New album coming soon!
www.thekingcrows.com