Openers Blowing Away the Headliner

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Re: Openers Blowing Away the Headliner

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

FreddyFender wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:15 pm Motley blowing away Ozzy on BATM Tour is fact.

Had nothing to do with technical performance or ability, they were the exciting, sexy new band. Ozzy was fat and had short hair.
And then a few short years later, GnR were the exciting, sexy new band and blew away Motley Crue.

Seems to always be the case, but for the most part whenever GnR or Metallica were the opening act in those years, they always blew away the headliner. I don't care if Elvis himself was the headliner.

The real question is: Which headliner almost always held their own against any hot new opening bands? I would probably put my money on GnR and Metallica and probably Slayer as the headliners that you could not knock off.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

cowpins wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:53 pm Joan Jett Poison > Motley Crue Def Leppard
Joan Jett couldn’t blow a feather off a table.
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:31 pm Extreme opening for Cinderella/DLR might be the closest, cause Extreme was hot and they were not.
Saw this tour and it’s usually my go-to example of a first slot band destroying the next bands. Extreme killed!

Nobodyspecial wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:59 am Tesla opening for Poison on the Open up and Say Ahh tour. Tesla was so much better
Saw this tour also and have referenced it many times with this topic. Poison put on a fun show but Tesla blew them away.
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Post by St_Augustines_Pears »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:45 pm motley blew away ozzy in 84.
metallica blew away ozzy in 86.
really, every opener has blown away ozzy since randy died.

Did Anthrax?
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

St_Augustines_Pears wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:41 pm
Kid-Wicked wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:45 pm motley blew away ozzy in 84.
metallica blew away ozzy in 86.
really, every opener has blown away ozzy since randy died.

Did Anthrax?
anthrax blows away most bands
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:31 pm Extreme opening for Cinderella/DLR might be the closest, cause Extreme was hot and they were not.
Saw this tour and it’s usually my go-to example of a first slot band destroying the next bands. Extreme killed!

I saw this tour at Great Woods in MA, and agree 1000% Extreme was the best band of the day. They killed it.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

The Spin Doctors headlined amphitheaters when they were hot with Soul Asylum and Screaming Trees. Fun summer package. Perfect for 1993.

They came back a year later and tried playing the same venues with Gin Blossoms and Cracker. Crowds were filing out in droves during the Spin Doctors set. This was in Chicago. Wrong band closed that night.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

BITH Jane's Addiction opened up for Love and Rockets. That must have been harsh.

I remember seeing on TV that The Who opened up for Herman's Hermits.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
Gwrexx
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Gwrexx »

May not have been every show on that tour but late 90's the "Summer Sanitarium" tour with Kid Rock, Korn and Metallica, Korn absolutely destroyed Metallica the night I saw them. It was an outdoor show, JAM PACKED and halfway through Metallica's headline set half the crowd was gone, including us. Korn just dominated that night, everyone was spent by the time Metallica came on...
Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground for all my friends out on the burial ground. Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down. It's just that demon life has got me in its sway
CoreyRotic007
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by CoreyRotic007 »

I was amazed at how hard Poison came out swinging last year on The Stadium Tour. I don’t mean that to sound as dismissive as it probably does.

I like Poison a lot, they’ve always done their thing pretty consistently live but it took seeing Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard in the shape they’re in to realize how we’ve taken Poison for granted. When they feel like working, of course.

Basic as their thing is, it still seems pretty authentic and fun and since what they’re doing isn’t all that complex they have a shot at being the last touring act from the era to be able to play an arena.
Resortin' to violence since '77
bigmakoshark
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by bigmakoshark »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:31 pm I've seen some good openers, but can't say anyone dusted the headliner. Extreme opening for Cinderella/DLR might be the closest, cause Extreme was hot and they were not.
I saw that tour and as musicians, Extreme were the most proficient.
As far as what the crowd liked most? Cinderella.
DLR sucked and after 5 songs half the crowd left.
str
Playing Frat Parties

Post by str »

i wasn't there but
I've heard countless times that Ratt blew away Billy Squier in 1984
and
Kix blew away Ratt in 1989
woblinweebles
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by woblinweebles »

str wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:20 am i wasn't there but
I've heard countless times that Ratt blew away Billy Squier in 1984
and
Kix blew away Ratt in 1989
I saw Ratt in 84 as a headliner with Twisted Sister opening and even though I preferred Out of the Cellar to Stay Hungry, TS put on a better show.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

^^^ That reminds me... I saw Dee Snider legit blow away an unmasked KISS at a charity show in Vegas about 10 years ago. I posted something about it at the time. (Shit, I've been on here way too long.)

It wasn't that KISS was bad. But they just didn't connect with the audience for whatever reason. Dee came out and had the crowd on their feet instantly. He was motivated and knew how to work the room better than Paul that night.

KISS was almost acting like their mere presence was enough.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:00 am ^^^ That reminds me... I saw Dee Snider legit blow away an unmasked KISS at a charity show in Vegas about 10 years ago. I posted something about it at the time. (Shit, I've been on here way too long.)

It wasn't that KISS was bad. But they just didn't connect with the audience for whatever reason. Dee came out and had the crowd on their feet instantly. He was motivated and knew how to work the room better than Paul that night.

KISS was almost acting like their mere presence was enough.
isn’t that what KISS always does?