A 90's STAND OUT GRUNGE BAND ... Silverchair from Australia... one of THE best bands of the 90's... hands down!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

A 90's STAND OUT GRUNGE BAND ... Silverchair from Australia... one of THE best bands of the 90's... hands down!

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Recently dug into this band again... wow... such good stuff... and they were VERY young... very impressive how good they were at such an early age!

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjsMnvqL7eY

$tEvil
Last edited by MetalSludgeCEO on Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Re: GRUNGE 90's STAND OUT BAND ... Silverchair from Australia... one of THE best bands of the 90's... hands down!

Post by Mister Freeze »

"Straight Lines" is a great song that ages well. Shows how far they came from the teenage grunge debut.

Brought this song up not too long ago in another thread and I think it was Sterile Eyes who suggested I check out more of their shit. Might do that now.

Fuck it. It's Sunday night. Thanks for the reminder.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: A 90's STAND OUT GRUNGE BAND ... Silverchair from Australia... one of THE best bands of the 90's... hands down!

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I also give them credit, as they grew up as this band... with little influence from others...meaning what was suddenly going to be the next trend.

Their debut came out when they were 15 years old, but had already been working together doing music since ages 11 and 12. That's legit!

While some of the American based grunge and 90's bands, were absolutely hair-farmers, glam rockers, wearing spandex, hairspray and the rest...

But... when they saw the change, they got their haircut, threw away their clothes and BC Rich guitars and started acting like they dug Neil Young and NOT Eddie Van Halen.

These kids were the real deal, who had a nice run of big selling records, both in the U.S. and even more-so in their homeland!

$tEvil
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Re: A 90's STAND OUT GRUNGE BAND ... Silverchair from Australia... one of THE best bands of the 90's... hands down!

Post by rubysdad »

I saw them three times over the years.
Not long after Tomorrow was released as a single, then mid career and on the farewell tour.
Each show was amazing.
Johns is a stunning frontman.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Yes, an amazing band! Their music is flawless.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
Shredderpete
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Shredderpete »

Oh yeah, dude is a great vocalist live too. And you’re right, they really evolved in an intriguing way from where they started.
REO Cokewagon
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by REO Cokewagon »

rubysdad wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:30 pm I saw them three times over the years.
Not long after Tomorrow was released as a single, then mid career and on the farewell tour.
Each show was amazing.
Farewell tour? When was this?

Why didn't u tell us about it and give us a review?

U went and saw Silverchair but didn't go see the Ceo?

What kind of Slugger are u?
LeeRatbag
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by LeeRatbag »

Saw them at a festival in '99, they were dull and drab and tedious for forty minutes then had the effrontery to attempt a cover of "Kick Out The Jams". Worst Australian band I've ever seen.
THE KINGCROWS - Bad Time For The GoodTime Generation
New album coming soon!
www.thekingcrows.com
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I probably post this sentiment once a month around here.

Criminally underrated for all reasons given here.

Diorama and Young Modern are masterpiece albums, and then you add that they were pretty much exclusively composed by one dude in his late teens/early 20s.

Also, if you want an all time great rock star performer, look no further than the first few songs from this gig: https://youtu.be/HXzJiatZLRE
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

REO Cokewagon wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:41 am
rubysdad wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:30 pm I saw them three times over the years.
Each show was amazing.
Farewell tour? When was this?

Why didn't u tell us about it and give us a review?

U went and saw Silverchair but didn't go see the Ceo?

What kind of Slugger are u?
The farewell tour came to my town, ten minutes from my house.
They played with Powderfinger, another Oz 90’ act.
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:21 am Also, if you want an all time great rock star performer, look no further than the first few songs from this gig: https://youtu.be/HXzJiatZLRE
You always gotta love when 1 and half hit wonder doesn't play their hands down biggest hit.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

SW wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:21 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:21 am Also, if you want an all time great rock star performer, look no further than the first few songs from this gig: https://youtu.be/HXzJiatZLRE
You always gotta love when 1 and half hit wonder doesn't play their hands down biggest hit.

That crowd sure didn’t seem to mind.

I saw them in ‘99, ‘03, and ‘07. No one was there to hear ‘Tomorrow’ at those shows either.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
assasin
Playing Frat Parties

Post by assasin »

Neon Ballroom is a pretty standout album....for me it's one of those no skip albums, all the songs are amazing.

But after than that album, I honestly don't know any of their stuff. Might have to check it out.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

a third-rate grunge act

kurt cobain hair, pearl jam sound. Zero personality.
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

Saw them in 99 at the convention hall in asbury park with Blink 182 and Fenix tx, they were great but you could tell blink was about to explode.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

LeeRatbag wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:17 am Saw them at a festival in '99, they were dull and drab and tedious for forty minutes then had the effrontery to attempt a cover of "Kick Out The Jams". Worst Australian band I've ever seen.
You never got to watch Grinspoon then. Lucky you. Shit name, worse band.

Like 99% of anyone that even remembers them, all I know about Silverchair was that tedious, grunge-by-numbers first single, and as mentioned the singer styled himself just like Kurt then got all offended in interviews that people thought they were a clone band.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

GoodJudge wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:58 pm
LeeRatbag wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:17 am Saw them at a festival in '99, they were dull and drab and tedious for forty minutes then had the effrontery to attempt a cover of "Kick Out The Jams". Worst Australian band I've ever seen.
You never got to watch Grinspoon then. Lucky you. Shit name, worse band.

Like 99% of anyone that even remembers them, all I know about Silverchair was that tedious, grunge-by-numbers first single, and as mentioned the singer styled himself just like Kurt then got all offended in interviews that people thought they were a clone band.
To me they were just 1990's bubblegum music but never dug deeper (except for transferring 3 tapes my friend recorded)
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Hootchietoad
Headlining Clubs

Post by Hootchietoad »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:21 am Diorama and Young Modern are masterpiece albums, and then you add that they were pretty much exclusively composed by one dude in his late teens/early 20s.
This, though I rank Diorama a bit higher but not by much. Saw them in ‘96 opening for the Chili Peppers. Really wished I had seen them in ‘01-‘02 era.
Image Image