Getting older and going to shows

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Getting older and going to shows

Post by Spongie »

Great topic.

I’ve been observing the following old man rules for shows for roughly the past 5 - 6 years.

I’m DONE with outside shows. I hate everything about them… they’re always in summer so every band but the headliner is playing in broad daylight. Hard rock/metal belongs in the dark. And I don’t think seeing cool bands live should be a heat and humidity endurance challenge. Fucking miserable, drenched in sweat, just awful.

Most bands I like play smaller GA venues, but I’m too old and valuable to be trading elbows with the CHUDS down front, so I always buy the seated VIP section. Believe me it’s VIP in name only. But it does give me my own space and it’s elevated for good site lines.

Oh and I always use these. They’re great, not sound blocking like foam earplugs. These are made specifically for listening to live music. Since using them, I’ve never had day after ringing ear or headaches, and l almost exclusively go to death metal shows.
Last edited by Spongie on Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmakoshark
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by bigmakoshark »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:34 pm Just turned 59 and don’t go to too many shows anymore, mainly because of ridiculous prices. I am done with festival shows for sure though - glad I got my fill
I concur.
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

Metal Sludge wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:37 pm Stop whining you pussies!!!
Try standing all night in 5 inch heels! :lol:
But to be fair, I actually don't do that anymore...too much!
If I know I'll be standing or walking, I usually do the wedge heels these days, no more stiletto's. And in the winter, the platform Doc Martens' are good.
I don't envy you lol.

I love going to shows still. It's always an adventure.

It's just hard because of my back issue. I had a really bad accident a while back and basically broke parts of my back and shoulders. I was out of commission and took almost 3 months to get back full use of my arms. It was a good 3-4 months of physical therapy. I run, I go to the gym, I stretch, I box, etc. I'm in pretty good shape. it's certain positions that really fuck me up. I've been back to PT and the doctor and not much more they can do.

I've got Extreme, GNR, Queen, and more coming up. Can't wait :)
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Spongie wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:58 am

Oh and I always use these. They’re great, not sound blocking like foam earplugs. These are made specifically for listening to live music. Since using them, I’ve never had day after ringing ear or headaches, and l almost exclusively go to death metal shows.
I've been to countless shows. I've played guitar in bands for 30 years. I've never worn earplugs. Luckily I still have my hearing and haven't lost much of it. I probably should start!
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Nate S Axel wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:27 pm
LAglamrocker wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:17 pm If you are getting to old for shows -quit going and acting like a pussy
Maybe it’s time for you to hang out at Coffee Bean

I understand EVH's dislike of standing room/GA shows, but that's my favorite spot at an arena/stadium show. If you want to stand in front of the stage... cool. If you want to stand back a little and still have room to walk around and grab a drink... cool. If it's a band I love where there's no GA/pit area, I'll still go.

I always disliked traditional seating though, especially if you're standing in front of people who have no intention of standing at all. Cheering during a song and standing up with them complaining behind you to sit down? Fuck you, it's a concert. Go sit at home and watch it on YouTube or DVD.
The thing is I LIKED standing in front of the stage and seeing everything up close. I do still try to do that when possible. When I'm not able to get right up front and have like 10 rows of people all with their phones out above their heads for whole songs, it fucking sucks. You're not going to watch it again. The sound is going to suck. Just take a picture. It's much cooler, IMO, You can print it and hang it on the wall. And it's less inconsiderate to other people around you.

I don't know. I just have the curious habit of thinking about how what I do might affect other people around me. I've recorded live performances. B'UT only in cases where it wasn't affecting other people around me. I used to see a lot of shows at the Iridium in NYC. I'd get a table right in front of the stage and rest my phone against my cup on the table. It didn't block a single person's view or negatively impact their experience.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Depends on the show/venue for me anymore. For rock shows and even country shows, I prefer stand and hope the rest of the crowd does too. Been to a couple theater shows where everyone was sitting and it wasn't the same vibe. Feels like better energy & enthusiasm with the crowd standing. Especially on the floor. Upper levels, sit/stand whatever works. It's not easy to stand for 2+ hours like it was when you're 22 but it's still worth it IMHO, especially if it's a band you like. Local festivals are the best of all worlds. You can sit, stand or walk around people watching.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
mrsnikkisixx
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrsnikkisixx »

I have found my enthusiasm for going to shows has changed dramatically in the last few years, and I’m sure my outstanding health issues and general lack of tolerance for large crowds plays most of the part in it. I’ve decided I’m not going to go to shows of people I’ve seen several times before, especially if their show isn’t going to change from the last time, and they tour a lot. I am going to see Metallica in August, and The Eagles when they come around my area for their farewell tour. Ghost will be in my area again soon, and I’m going to stay home. Their set will most assuredly be the same as last year, and it’s become too taxing for me to deal with the bullshit. So yes, I’m a pussy now.
Press Pass
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by Press Pass »

Back in the day I stood at most shows, but I enjoy sitting at shows these days.