Rush never made a bad album*

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Rush never made a bad album*

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

*of original materal

LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Rush never made a bad album*

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Nope.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

Good musicians. Horrible band.

See also: Dream Theater.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

I really don't care about anything post Signals.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

OP indeed speaks the truth. I've never heard a single Rush song (original material) that I didn't like.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Total RUSH geek here but, the last couple albums they made bored the hell outta me. All the songs were same pace and Melodie’s forgettable
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Even their “bad” albums had one or two redeeming tracks that made them passable.

I don’t like Hold Your Fire, but Time Stand Still is great. Same with Test 4 Echo (Driven), and 1-2 others.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

Everything up to Moving Pictures was legendary. That was their golden era. I think Signals is where they dropped the ball, but they rebounded with the excellent Grace Under Pressure, but after that it was Turdsville for the rest of their career. But then again im a fan of their harder stuff so thats how i base my opinion.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

JamesHetfieldsAcneScars wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:04 pm I think Signals is where they dropped the ball, but they rebounded with the excellent Grace Under Pressure
Da fuq? That's bas-ackwards.

And oh my god they definitely made some bad albums. I always saw it like their quality of music kind of mirrored the unfortunate quality of Geddy Lee's hair-do and clothing choices at any given time.

ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yep. That mini-Steinberger wasn't doing him any favors either.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Newsted's FU Money

I actually find that hairstyle, suit and Steinberger combo quite titillating.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

I just bought an ‘80’s Steinberger stick yesterday for $200. It sounds great , plays ugly as it looks.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I don’t like Test For Echo.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
AJL
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by AJL »

Maybe they never made a bad album, but to me, the debut is shaky, and everything from Hold Your Fire and onwards are boring and forgettable, except for a few songs here and there, and maybe even the Clockwork Angels album, which was their best since the 80's.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:19 pm I don’t like Test For Echo.
I love it.

There are a few weaker albums, for me Snakes & Arrows and their 80s run of Signals-GUP-Power Windows, but truly bad? Hear in the Now Frontier or St. Anger bad? Not really.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Newsted's FU Money wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:56 pm I actually find that hairstyle, suit and Steinberger combo quite titillating.
And then he said, "how can I make this even more irritating? I know - I'll sing a duet with Aimee Mann!"

Ohhh... you said titillating. So did Geddy and Aimee flying around on a blue screen take you over the edge?
Last edited by Bono Nettencourt on Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

The latter half of the 80s says hello.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

exitflagger wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:15 pm
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:04 pm I think Signals is where they dropped the ball, but they rebounded with the excellent Grace Under Pressure

Sorry Sir, but signals lacks the rock. Not a rocking moment to be found.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

JamesHetfieldsAcneScars wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:06 am
exitflagger wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:15 pm

Sorry Sir, but signals lacks the rock. Not a rocking moment to be found.
If not "rocking", how would you describe The Analog Kid? Specifically, the guitar solo & the bass/drums/keyboards underneath it.
I agree with the OP & love them all but, to me, the final 3 all listen bloated. Like I have to go a couple/3 songs at a time & put it down for a few. Kinda like all the recent Iron Maiden records.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

They certainly never sunk as low as some of their peers but they definitely had a few less than stellar records. I would say Rush never made a Terrible album...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

The band as a whole, have the personality of a wet dish rag.

Neil Peart might have well been a mute... dude never said 2 words for years at a clip.

Geddy was (is) a super nerd and Alex is a drunk.

I'd rather go to an Anime convention and hang out with fat gamers than hang out with Rush.

$tEvil
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

AJL wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:08 pm Maybe they never made a bad album, but to me, the debut is shaky, and everything from Hold Your Fire and onwards are boring and forgettable, except for a few songs here and there, and maybe even the Clockwork Angels album, which was their best since the 80's.
This here is the take 👆
Newsted's FU Money

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:54 am
Newsted's FU Money wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:56 pm I actually find that hairstyle, suit and Steinberger combo quite titillating.
And then he said, "how can I make this even more irritating? I know - I'll sing a duet with Aimee Mann!"

Ohhh... you said titillating. So did Geddy and Aimee flying around on a blue screen take you over the edge?
:lol:

Yes. Yes it did.

We'll leave it at that.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:28 am
AJL wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:08 pm Maybe they never made a bad album, but to me, the debut is shaky, and everything from Hold Your Fire and onwards are boring and forgettable, except for a few songs here and there, and maybe even the Clockwork Angels album, which was their best since the 80's.
This here is the take 👆
Yes, that is a good assessment of things.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

One of my favorite era of theirs is Hold Your Fire through Counterparts. A lot of people don't dig that stuff but I think they're missing out bigly.

Clockwork Angels didn't grab me the first couple times and I gave up on it but lately I've been putting that on and really getting into it. So much kickass stuff on there.

I'm also a big fan of when Alex Lifeson says "Fuck you, puppet! Get out of my way!" in the Exit Stage Left skit at the end of the R40 concert video.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Alias

Post by Alias »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:26 am The band as a whole, have the personality of a wet dish rag.

Neil Peart might have well been a mute... dude never said 2 words for years at a clip.

Geddy was (is) a super nerd and Alex is a drunk.

I'd rather go to an Anime convention and hang out with fat gamers than hang out with Rush.

$tEvil
I completely disagree with everything but Alex being a drunk. Neil was a brilliant mind and I've often gotten inspiration for life listening to his thoughts via interviews and books.
What the hell was that all about?
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:53 am One of my favorite era of theirs is Hold Your Fire through Counterparts. A lot of people don't dig that stuff but I think they're missing out bigly.
This but I'd als add the following album, the way underrated Test for Echo. They were playing it a bit safe and not breaking any new ground but a 90s Rush album doesn't need grungy guitars or rapping skeletons.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:53 am One of my favorite era of theirs is Hold Your Fire through Counterparts. A lot of people don't dig that stuff but I think they're missing out bigly.
For me that era began with Permanent Waves, but really got going on Signals - their "synth era" as it is known. I love that period of Rush.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

l like the original line up way more than the scab version later on.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Love_Industry wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:43 am
This but I'd als add the following album, the way underrated Test for Echo. They were playing it a bit safe and not breaking any new ground but a 90s Rush album doesn't need grungy guitars or rapping skeletons.
T4E was when they lost me for good... Counterparts was a brief bounce-back from those dreadful Rupert Hine records, and the hardest that they rocked since GUP. They followed it up with a drab, lifeless record, and they had to bring back 2112 to get asses in the seats on tour.