“Respected” bands that you think are overrated

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

JinglesTheChristmasMouse
MSX Tour Support Act

“Respected” bands that you think are overrated

Post by JinglesTheChristmasMouse »

King’s X.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: “Respected” bands that you think are overrated

Post by BDG135 »

Rush. Annoying vocals. Where are the songs? Tom Sawyer...nah.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

Styx
Foreigner
Night Ranger
Scorpions
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Zabooka »

Motörhead.

23 albums and aside from Ace of Spades, how many others do the mainstream know?

It’s that Lemmy epitomizes that cool, rock ‘n roll outlaw and the music had a raw, unpolished street sound to it.

The young angry males identify with that.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

JinglesTheChristmasMouse wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:38 am King’s X.
Came here to post this... and their "fans" won't even admit that Over My Head is the best song they ever did (if not the only...)
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:00 am
Came here to post this... and their "fans" won't even admit that Over My Head is the best song they ever did (if not the only...)
Did you hear the Dogman album?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

BDG135 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:04 am
Did you hear the Dogman album?
That was what, 5 years later? No. Had long since stopped caring. As did the rest of America.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Fuck that! "Music, music, i hear music, Music music, oh, oh, oh" is one of the most annoying lyrics I can think of!
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

If you've listened to the entire Gretchen and Dogman albums and still don't like King's X, they aren't for you. Just like me with Ratt when I listened to Cellar.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:15 am
Fuck that! "Music, music, i hear music, Music music, oh, oh, oh" is one of the most annoying lyrics I can think of!
Fuck Huey.
jens

Post by jens »

Zabooka wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:57 am It’s that Lemmy epitomizes that cool, rock ‘n roll outlaw and the music had a raw, unpolished street sound to it.
You say that like it's a bad thing?
Bomber, Overkill, Killed By Death, Road Crew,... They have nice list of perfect songs, and a classic run of all-killer-no-filler albums.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

It's their taken on an old gospel staple - here's Sister Rosetta with the same "music over my head" theme from circa 1960: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaBNAXfHfQ. Sister Rosetta rocked harder than most, BTW. Check out the guitar solo that starts at 1:40, then factor in the time and circumstances of the recording.

I happen to love that song and Kings X in general but they were never going to be 'for the masses'.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

GoodJudge wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:50 am

It's their taken on an old gospel staple - here's Sister Rosetta with the same "music over my head" theme from circa 1960: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaBNAXfHfQ. Sister Rosetta rocked harder than most, BTW. Check out the guitar solo that starts at 1:40, then factor in the time and circumstances of the recording.

I happen to love that song and Kings X in general but they were never going to be 'for the masses'.
True. Also, many don't like soul-style vocals, like Doug's, mixed with Rock. They were also horribly mismanaged. They tried to go to the Christian market and then switched to the Headbanger's Ball crowd.
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

Foo Fighters and Rammstein
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

GoodJudge wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:50 am

Yeah, that was sick! And for an older woman to shred that far back was pretty cool.

Not changing my opinion on Kings X's chorus, tho.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Anything by the bald screamer
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:04 pm Anything by the bald screamer
Stop dissing Stevil, ok? It's getting old.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Zabooka wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:57 am Motörhead.

23 albums and aside from Ace of Spades, how many others do the mainstream know?

It’s that Lemmy epitomizes that cool, rock ‘n roll outlaw and the music had a raw, unpolished street sound to it.

The young angry males identify with that.
Yep. Ace of Spades and Iron Fist are the only songs you need. Horrible songs. Horrible vocals. Crap guitar. But…Lemmy is God! Full blown alcoholic and druggie.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:06 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:04 pm Anything by the bald screamer
Stop dissing Stevil, ok? It's getting old.
I thought he was a growler.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Enuff Znuff and Kings X.

Heavy metal bands trying to be the Beatles maybe have impressed Clive Davis and the baby boomer music critics of the era, but no one bought the records for a reason.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Indeed,”Over My Head” is their best song, but I like “It’s Love”, “Summerland”, “Black Flag”, and a few others as well. Maybe overrated compared to other bands discussed around these parts, but not terrible by any stretch of the word.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

I'm curious. For those saying Over My Head is the best song. Did you listen to any of the albums or just see the videos and hear singles on the radio?
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Queen
The Who
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

BDG135 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:56 pm I'm curious. For those saying Over My Head is the best song. Did you listen to any of the albums or just see the videos and hear singles on the radio?
Right... you need to buy all of a bands records and listen to them end-to-end before you pass judgment... :roll:
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:58 pm
BDG135 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:56 pm I'm curious. For those saying Over My Head is the best song. Did you listen to any of the albums or just see the videos and hear singles on the radio?
Right... you need to buy all of a bands records and listen to them end-to-end before you pass judgment... :roll:
Good strawman. I do think you should listen to more than 3 or 4 songs before making a blanket statement though.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

BDG135 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:00 pm
Good strawman. I do think you should listen to more than 3 or 4 songs before making a blanket statement though.
I really DGAS what you think, but for the "record", I was in college when OMH hit and I had a show on the campus radio station, so I had an opportunity to sit and listen to both Silent Planet and Gretchen. They didn't really tickle me, so I moved on.

That sufficient for you? May I be excused now?
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:05 pm

I really DGAS what you think, but for the "record", I was in college when OMH hit and I had a show on the campus radio station, so I had an opportunity to sit and listen to both Silent Planet and Gretchen. They didn't really tickle me, so I moved on.

That sufficient for you? May I be excused now?
So, my statement didn't apply to you and you tried to troll anyway.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Damn yo, you giving out the strawmans like they candy

I pick U2 & REM
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

Steely Dan
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.