Ex-Great White Singer Jack Russell Discusses His Battle With Alcoholism

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: Ex-Great White Singer Jack Russell Discusses His Battle With Alcoholism

Post by sirthx2 »

A typo in the first sentence. Not a good start.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

There's only one paragraph that addresses it, and he doesn't go on some tangent about what a struggle it is. Doc told him to stop and he stopped. He even said it was easy.

What cracked me up was him stating he still looks good. Homeboy has never been a handsome man. Surprised he thinks that in an industry swimming with very good looking talent. He got ladies, sure, but that was solely because he sang for Great White not because he was a hottie.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Great White. A band that sucks worse than Ratt. Ratt are like the Stones by comparison.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:38 pm Great White. A band that sucks worse than Ratt. Ratt are like the Stones by comparison.
what bands do you like?
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

DangerZone wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:14 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:38 pm Great White. A band that sucks worse than Ratt. Ratt are like the Stones by comparison.
what bands do you like?
Twisted Sister. That tells a lot.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

SW wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:56 pm
what bands do you like?

Danger Zone, what kind of bands? Sludge bands?

The usual suspects: Van Halen, Ozzy, Scorpions, KISS, Skid Row, Cinderella, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Night Ranger, Guns N Roses, Poison, and as SW correctly pointed out, Twisted Sister.

SW, I’ll take Stay Hungry over Great White’s entire discography 24/7/365
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:35 am What cracked me up was him stating he still looks good. Homeboy has never been a handsome man. Surprised he thinks that in an industry swimming with very good looking talent. He got ladies, sure, but that was solely because he sang for Great White not because he was a hottie.

I’m imagining a scene in some really bad made-for-TV movie where Jack’s lying in bed with a groupie after the fact, says something stupid that pisses her off, she gets out of bed, says “fuck you” and all that jazz while she’s getting dressed, and on her way out she turns back one last time and says, “By the way, the only reason I fucked you is because you’re the singer in Great White!” before leaving and slamming the door behind her.

Instant Emmy bait!
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:51 pmDanger Zone, what kind of bands? Sludge bands?

The usual suspects: Van Halen, Ozzy, Scorpions, KISS, Skid Row, Cinderella, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Night Ranger, Guns N Roses, Poison, and as SW correctly pointed out, Twisted Sister.

Except for Night Ranger and Poison, those are all great bands. Stay Hungry rules and Great White blows.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:27 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:51 pmDanger Zone, what kind of bands? Sludge bands?

Except for Night Ranger and Poison, those are all great bands. Stay Hungry rules and Great White blows.

Night Ranger have their faults but I will take them over bands like Ratt and Great White. They were great musicians and did that melodic arena rock thing better than many.

Poison wasn’t a great band. But they were fun! They had great songs, tons of energy live, their fans were rabid and all the girls loved them. It didn’t suck being a dude at a Poison show in the 80s.

Twisted Sister weren’t the best musicians but they were much better musically and live than most of their hair metal competitors. I’ll take Stay Hungry over Motley’s entire discography too. Stay Hungry melts your face like the lost arc of the covenant at the end of an Indiana Jones movie. Twisted Sister slayed it! They coulda bin yuge

Great White were shiite seven days a week. I’m embarrassed I was ever a fan.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:48 pmPoison wasn’t a great band. But they were fun! They had great songs, tons of energy live, their fans were rabid and all the girls loved them. It didn’t suck being a dude at a Poison show in the 80s.
I don't disagree with any of this. I went to a Poison show once and had a hot Mexican girl grinding on me half the show. Okay, maybe half a song. It was still pretty cool.

They played pretty much just hits (plus "Let it Play" and that terrible C.C. song) and fucked off into the night. Maybe 50 minutes all together? Great show.

HOWEVER, not the best band that show. That honor would go to... CINDERFUCKINGELLA.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:51 pm
SW wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:56 pm

what bands do you like?

Danger Zone, what kind of bands? Sludge bands?

Cool. Just odd that you would like all those bands and not Ratt.
Great White I can understand if youre only familiar with the albums from ‘once bitten’ onward
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:58 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:48 pmPoison wasn’t a great band. But they were fun! They had great songs, tons of energy live, their fans were rabid and all the girls loved them. It didn’t suck being a dude at a Poison show in the 80s.
I don't disagree with any of this. I went to a Poison show once and had a hot Mexican girl grinding on me half the show. Okay, maybe half a song. It was still pretty cool.

They played pretty much just hits (plus "Let it Play" and that terrible C.C. song) and fucked off into the night. Maybe 50 minutes all together? Great show.

HOWEVER, not the best band that show. That honor would go to... CINDERFUCKINGELLA.
I don’t doubt or disagree with any of that.

CINDERFUCKINGELLA is, to this day, the best hair metal band I’ve ever seen.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Stay Hungry better than Great White's debut or Too Fast for Love or Shout at the Devil?! No fucking way!

"I feel like I'm ninety..." Ouch, that has to be the first interview I've read where a guy claims to feel older than he really is. Doesn't sound like he'll be around for more than 5 years if he's feeling like that...

I just noticed that Don Dokken has a combined 4 co-writes on Let it Rock and Can't Get There from Here, was he hanging out with the band a lot or was Great White unable to write a tune at that point? I've never heard any of those latter albums, I'm just going to assume they suck!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:18 pm
Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:35 am What cracked me up was him stating he still looks good. Homeboy has never been a handsome man. Surprised he thinks that in an industry swimming with very good looking talent. He got ladies, sure, but that was solely because he sang for Great White not because he was a hottie.

I’m imagining a scene in some really bad made-for-TV movie where Jack’s lying in bed with a groupie after the fact, says something stupid that pisses her off, she gets out of bed, says “fuck you” and all that jazz while she’s getting dressed, and on her way out she turns back one last time and says, “By the way, the only reason I fucked you is because you’re the singer in Great White!” before leaving and slamming the door behind her.
Funny thing is that when I read this I remembered an interview from 90-91 where he says exactly that. He admits he's not a good looking dude like some other hair metal pretty boys and would never get laid so much if he wasn't fronting a band that was on MTV a lot.

That said, Great White kind of sucked. A good song or two on each album but not more. And in many cases (Face the Day, Once Bitten Twice Shy) the good song was a cover.
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

Instant Emmy bait!
I remember when he was on the cover of Rip magazine and half the article is of alllll the groupies he porked on tour. I looked at his homely smirking face and thought "WHAT do these groupies look like?" I was a kid but I knew actual groupies weren't the models you saw on TV.

I mean yeah, there was Bobbie Brown, but it didn't seem hard to pull her back in the day. Or ever.
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

GREAT WHITE = NOT GOOD
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:34 am

Instant Emmy bait!
I remember when he was on the cover of Rip magazine and half the article is of alllll the groupies he porked on tour. I looked at his homely smirking face and thought "WHAT do these groupies look like?" I was a kid but I knew actual groupies weren't the models you saw on TV.

I mean yeah, there was Bobbie Brown, but it didn't seem hard to pull her back in the day. Or ever.

:lol:

First thought that came to mind re: “What do these groupies look like?” was, “Oh, probably about 15 or so.” That and/or someone on Faces Of Meth.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:35 am There's only one paragraph that addresses it, and he doesn't go on some tangent about what a struggle it is. Doc told him to stop and he stopped. He even said it was easy.
It was only one paragraph but it doesn't get any more serious than being in a coma, waking up and having the doctor tell you, "if you do that again, you'll die"!!!

That's like when Duff got sober have his pancreas exploded! Like dude... ok. It's time to stop!
Last edited by DonJuanDeMarco on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

😎
Last edited by DangerZone on Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

DangerZone wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:40 am
DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:02 am
Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:35 am There's only one paragraph that addresses it, and he doesn't go on some tangent about what a struggle it is. Doc told him to stop and he stopped. He even said it was easy.
It was only one paragraph but it doesn't get any more serious than being in a coma, waking up and having the doctor tell you, "if you do that again, you'll die"!!!

That's like when Duff got sober have his pancreas exploded! Like dude... ok. It's time to stop!

I'm a heavy drinker myself and I have health issues because of it. I actually started therapy for something else entirely only to find that the root cause of my problems is booze. As the old joke goes, "instant asshole. just add alcohol". That's me. In fact that should be my new screen name.
What health issues do u have from booze?
He suffers from whiskey dick. It wouldn’t make for a good username.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I actually deleted that part of my post! Joke’s on me!

The dick still works! And my drinking is not as bad as Jack or Duff. But it’s bad enough. I think 2020 did me in, to be honest. I used to drink to celebrate. Now it’s more of an escape.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

DangerZone wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:40 am😎
Thanks buddy! But the whiskey dick joke lured me back in!