Warrant Ultraphobic

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Warrant Ultraphobic

Post by MattleyCrue »

How did you feel about this album when it came out?

“High” is great so is “Stronger Now”
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: Warrant Ultraphobic

Post by BDG135 »

One of the best examples of the 80s bands trying to fit in and making it good. Stronger Now would have been a hit if it was released on one of their earlier albums.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

MattleyCrue wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:25 pm How did you feel about this album when it came out?

My 2 favorites on the album. I really like the title track too.

Overall a solid album.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Great album. "Undertow" is really cool. Jani always had hooks.

I think this album, like others of the time (including even some of the best grunge albums), suffers from weak production: thin drums, a sludgy low-fi mix, uncertainty about guitar tones.

By running so far from the "'80s sound," they end up with something equally as dated, but less likely to hold up over the long haul.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

never heard this album.
have their 1st three cds though.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Indy_Rob wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:48 pm
MattleyCrue wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:25 pm How did you feel about this album when it came out?

My 2 favorites on the album. I really like the title track too.

Overall a solid album.
...adding Chameleon. I like those 4 songs but the others are way too grungy for my tastes.

There are people that consider Dog Eat Dog grunge and I'll admit Hole in My Wall has a little Man in the Box thing going but Ultraphobic is Warrant truly changing colors. Ironically that the first line in the song Chameleon ("You always change your colors when you find yourself in a fix")
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Warrant is definitely borrowing from Alice in Chains on "Family Picnic" - specifically in the verses. AIC also got everyone to experiment with rhythms and times signatures.

"Rain" by KISS is another example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZczLRV3e5Y
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
skunklovestiger

Post by skunklovestiger »

I really liked that record.
toofastone
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by toofastone »

There's some great songs on it. I love the lyrics to the song Ultraphobic. This album is all about a bad break up. I was still in high school when this came out. It's not a stretch from Generation Swine that came out later. At the time it was current sounding. Bands mature. I was happy back then to hear this record. I still listen to it and that's enough proof to say it has aged well with me.
Lets Rock
crowes74

Post by crowes74 »

I liked ultraphobic and belly to belly both. Music somewhat different but still Jani’s strong song writing.
The ultraphobic tour may had been a slap in the face for warrant, but it was one of the stronger shows I’d seen them play. And honestly, that’s saying something, always a great live band (if Jani was somewhat sober).
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Lots of strong tracks: Undertow, Family Picnic, High, Stronger Now, Ride #2 ...

Good album.
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

Hated it then; love it now. I hear more King's X styled songs than Alice in Chains.
str
Playing Frat Parties

Post by str »

I liked a lot of it ,
I remember High, Crawl Space, and the title track which sounded like the title was 'Shot Down' or 'Been Shot Down'
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

I love this album. The production is awful and extremely dated, but the songs are very strong. I never realized until recently that the beginning of Crawl Space was copped from Foreigner’s Urgent.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Great album, and IMO more consistent than Dog Eat Dog.
Never understood the rock fans who think anything that doesn't sound like Trixter is automatically "grunge"........
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

I think I only heard this album once and nothing really grabbed me. I will give it another spin.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

"Stronger Now" is Jani's crowing achievement.
BiggusDickus
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by BiggusDickus »

I love this album.
uwec95
Headlining Clubs

Post by uwec95 »

"Stronger Now" is one of the best ballads there is. I could see a country or pop artist covering that and having a hit.
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

"Ultraphobic" was good, though a letdown after the awesome "Dog Eat Dog."

that whole time was weird. all these Platinum bands were on independent labels, if they were lucky.

Slaughter. Kix. even Judas Priest.

and while I like "Ultraphobic" quite a bit, the next album, "Belly 2 Belly" pretty much sucked.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Vince Neil Eats wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:00 pm I never realized until recently that the beginning of Crawl Space was copped from Foreigner’s Urgent.

Always thought it sounded a little like "It's Not Love" by Dokken.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

alleyrulez wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:43 am that whole time was weird. all these Platinum bands were on independent labels, if they were lucky.

It was even more weird to see bands you grew up with go straight from arenas to clubs, and I remember Warrant being the first glaring example of that.

I recall some talk about Warrant playing the Thirsty Whale, a tiny hard rock club in Chicago, but their "guarantee was too high." Not long afterwards, Warrant seemed to become a lot less selective about their venues.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

This tour was actually the first time I saw Warrant live and the only time I saw them with Jani singing.

Seeing them on that pay per view concert on the Cherry Pie tour playing arenas...then playing clubs like the one I saw them at. It was sad. The nostalgia thing had not kicked in yet obviously. And quite honestly, I didn't really like how the band sounded with other guitar players and drummers. It was Rick Stier on guitar and Bobby Borg on drums for this show plus they had a keyboard player.

The new songs did not blend well with the others and they just did an acoustic medley of the ballads instead of playing them as power ballads like on the records. At one point, I remember a guy yelling out, "Hey..what is this? A juice bar?"

On a brighter note, I got to meet the entire band hanging out at the bar after the show. Erik was especially nice. That was a damn cool feeling to be like 15 years old or whatever I was at the time and hanging out at the bar with one of my favorite bands!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

When they flipped over their guitars in the 90's, did the backs say grungy things like "Snuff the Rooster" or "I Hate Myself and Want to Die"?
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

What was it like during those times? Did they still look cool? Leather pants and stuff?
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

MattleyCrue wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:08 pm What was it like during those times? Did they still look cool? Leather pants and stuff?
Jani still wore makeup sometimes to throw it in people's faces. It was hit or miss whether he'd be wasted on stage. Jerry wore a goofy hat.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

I would have loved to see Warrant in 1995.

I got to see Jani in like 2005.
LAglamrocker wrote:
jhenders
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by jhenders »

I saw them on that tour as well and bought a cool "Ultraphobic" signed album flat at their merch table.

This was what their setlist was typically on that tour:

Down Boys
D.R.F.S.R.
Family Picnic
32 Pennies
Sum of One
The Hole in My Wall
Crawl Space
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Undertow
Followed
You Shook Me All Night Long / Girls Got Rhythm / Highway to Hell / Whole Lotta Love / Tequila
Cherry Pie

Heaven
Stronger Now
I Saw Red
The Turtle (Left For Dead cover)
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:07 am This tour was actually the first time I saw Warrant live and the only time I saw them with Jani singing.

Seeing them on that pay per view concert on the Cherry Pie tour playing arenas...then playing clubs like the one I saw them at. It was sad. The nostalgia thing had not kicked in yet obviously. And quite honestly, I didn't really like how the band sounded with other guitar players and drummers. It was Rick Stier on guitar and Bobby Borg on drums for this show plus they had a keyboard player.

The new songs did not blend well with the others and they just did an acoustic medley of the ballads instead of playing them as power ballads like on the records. At one point, I remember a guy yelling out, "Hey..what is this? A juice bar?"

On a brighter note, I got to meet the entire band hanging out at the bar after the show. Erik was especially nice. That was a damn cool feeling to be like 15 years old or whatever I was at the time and hanging out at the bar with one of my favorite bands!
My first time seeing Warrant was the Blood Sweat And Beers tour. The first concert I ever went to. It was at a 7,000 seat amphitheater. The next year, after Dog Eat Dog came out the show I saw was originally scheduled to be in an arena but was moved to a 1,5000 capacity club. Third time I saw them was on the Ultraphobic tour and by then they were in a 750 capacity club. Great performance though. I didn't like when they'd do that ballad medley in the mid 90s. What made it even worse was Jani would call them "pussy songs" and apologize for writing them. Oh well. Overall, very enjoyable concerts. And it was great to be able to meet the band after the show. And I never saw a drunken Jani ever. And I saw him, mostly with Warrant, 13 times. He was always a cool guy. All the guys in the band were friendly.
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
dweezil

Post by dweezil »

Both Ultraphobic and Belly To Belly have outstanding songs muddled by bare bones production.
I was discussing those records in another music board, stating that Warrant was one of the few glam/hair metal acts to adapt well into the alternative/grunge era. Mostly thanks to Jani's songwriting.

Faster Pussycat's Whipped being another one of those. Because they acknowledged the coming era without whining about it. Even referencing Pearl Jam in a song.
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com