It's official. The SONG OF THE SUMMER is...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

It's official. The SONG OF THE SUMMER is...

Post by Mister Freeze »

Jason Aldean’s ‘Try That in a Small Town’ Tops Hot 100

Country Hits Rank at Nos. 1, 2 & 3 for First Time
Aldean's first leader is followed by Morgan Wallen's "Last Night" at No. 2 and Luke Combs' "Fast Car" at No. 3.

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-b ... 235382220/

Jason Aldean’s “Try That in a Small Town” rises to No. 1, from its No. 2 debut, on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart. The single, released in May, reigns amid buzz after CMT pulled its video, which premiered July 14, from rotation after three days, resulting in a surge of attention.

Meanwhile, with Aldean at No. 1, Morgan Wallen’s “Last Night” at No. 2 and Luke Combs’ “Fast Car” at No. 3, country hits take the Hot 100’s top three spots in a single week for the first time, dating to the Hot 100’s inception in August 1958.

Also in the Hot 100’s top 10, Travis Scott, Bad Bunny and The Weeknd’s “K-POP” debuts at No. 7 and Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice’s “Barbie World,” with Aqua, returns to the region at No. 8, following the premiere of the box office hit Barbie.

The Hot 100 blends all-genre U.S. streaming (official audio and official video), radio airplay and sales data, the lattermost metric reflecting purchases of physical singles and digital tracks from full-service digital music retailers; digital singles sales from direct-to-consumer (D2C) sites are excluded from chart calculations. All charts (dated Aug. 5, 2023) will update on Billboard.com Wednesday (Aug. 2). For all chart news, you can follow @billboard and @billboardcharts on both Twitter and Instagram.

“Try That in a Small Town” is the 1,152nd No. 1 in the Hot 100’s history. Here’s a deeper look at its coronation.

Streams, airplay & sales: The song, released on Macon/Broken Bow, drew 30.7 million streams (up 165%) and 8.8 million radio airplay audience impressions (up 21%) and sold 175,000 (down 23%) July 21-27, according to Luminate.

The track tops the Digital Song Sales chart, where it’s Aldean’s second leader, for a second week and vaults 37-3 on Streaming Songs. While below the all-format Radio Songs tally, it holds at No. 25 (after reaching No. 24) in its 10th week on Country Airplay.

A week earlier, the song scored the largest digital sales week – 228,000 – for a country title (defined as by those that have hit Billboard’s Country Digital Song Sales chart) in over 10 years, since Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise,” featuring Nelly, sold 244,000, as reflected on charts dated July 6, 2013.

CMT decision sparks gains: On July 18, Billboard confirmed that CMT had pulled the official video for “Try That in a Small Town” after three days in rotation; the network declined to say why. Following CMT’s decision, Aldean posted a message to his Instagram Stories regarding the contrasting reactions that the song and video have faced.

The song’s video was released on July 14, featuring footage of an American flag burning, protesters in confrontation with police, looters breaking a display case and thieves robbing a convenience store; it has since been edited, cutting six seconds. The clip has prompted a firestorm of opinions about it and the song’s intent and messaging.

Aldean further addressed the polarized response during his Highway Desperado Tour stop July 21 at Cincinnati’s Riverbend Music Center. “It’s been a long week and I’ve seen a lot of stuff suggesting I’m this, suggesting I’m that,” he told the crowd. “I feel like everybody’s entitled to their opinion. You can think something all you want to; it doesn’t mean it’s true. What I am is a proud American. I’m proud to be from here … I love my country, I love my family, and I will do anything to protect that, I can tell you that right now.”

Aldean’s first Hot 100 No. 1: Aldean achieves his first Hot 100 No. 1, with his 40th entry on the chart. He first made the list dated Aug. 13, 2005, with “Hicktown”; he tallied one top 10 prior to his new leader, as “Dirt Road Anthem,” which, helped by its remix featuring Ludacris, hit No. 7 in July 2011.

Aldean’s 17-year, 11-month and three-week wait from his first Hot 100 visit to his first No. 1 marks the longest since Billy Ray Cyrus went 26 years and 11 months between the debut of “Achy Breaky Heart” in 1992 and the coronation of Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road,” featuring Cyrus, in 2019. Santana holds the record for the most sustained such suspense: two days shy of 30 years, between the group’s arrival with “Jingo” in 1969 and the reign of “Smooth,” featuring Rob Thomas, in 1999.

Broken Bow’s best: Broken Bow also boasts its first Hot 100 No. 1 with “Try That in a Small Town.” Dating to its formation in 1999, the label had previously hit the top 10 via Aldean’s “Dirt Road Anthem.”

Also No. 1 on Hot Country Songs: “Try That in a Small Town” concurrently rules Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart, which uses the same methodology as the Hot 100, for a second week, a week after it became Aldean’s 10th No. 1. He first led with “Why” in May 2006 and had most recently reigned with “Burnin’ It Down” in 2014. His new leader is also his 37th top 10; he has peaked in the top 10 at least once each year dating to his first such hit, “Hicktown,” in 2005 – the longest active streak of annual top 10s on the chart.

Hot 100 & Hot Country Songs No. 1s: “Try That in a Small Town” marks only the 21st song to have topped both the Hot 100 and Hot Country Songs. With Morgan Wallen’s “Last Night” having begun its 14-week domination in March, 2023 is the first year with multiple shared Hot 100 and Hot Country Songs leaders since 1981.

Songs to Have Hit No. 1 on Both the Hot 100 & Hot Country Songs Charts:

“Try That in a Small Town,” Jason Aldean, 2023
“Last Night,” Morgan Wallen, 2023
“All Too Well (Taylor’s Version),” Taylor Swift, 2021
“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” Taylor Swift, 2012
“Amazed,” Lonestar, 1999-2000
“Islands in the Stream,” Kenny Rogers, duet with Dolly Parton, 1983
“I Love a Rainy Night,” Eddie Rabbitt, 1981
“9 to 5,” Dolly Parton, 1981
“Lady,” Kenny Rogers, 1980
“Southern Nights,” Glen Campbell, 1977
“Convoy,” C.W. McCall, 1975-76
“I’m Sorry,” John Denver, 1975
“Rhinestone Cowboy,” Glen Campbell, 1975
“Thank God I’m a Country Boy,” John Denver, 1975
“Before the Next Teardrop Falls,” Freddy Fender, 1975
“(Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song,” B.J. Thomas, 1975
“The Most Beautiful Girl,” Charlie Rich, 1973
“Honey,” Bobby Goldsboro, 1968
“Big Bad John,” Jimmy Dean, 1961
“El Paso,” Marty Robbins, 1959-60
“The Battle of New Orleans,” Johnny Horton, 1959

Of the 21 songs listed above, 12 were concentrated in 1973-83. Meanwhile, Glen Campbell, John Denver, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers and Taylor Swift are the only acts with two songs each that have crowned both the Hot 100 and Hot Country Songs.

Wallen’s “Last Night” rebounds 3-2 on the Hot 100 after 14 weeks at No. 1; it’s tied for the fifth-longest command in the chart’s history. It lands a ninth week atop Billboard’s Songs of the Summer chart, having ranked at No. 1 each week since the seasonal recap returned.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: It's official. The SONG OF THE SUMMER is...

Post by daveg »

I like me some bro country, and even a lot of Aldean's tunes. Problem is, this is not a very good song. Obviously, people are just buying/streaming it to make some kind of political point.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I'm not even joking. Here's the rest of the top-10. What else qualifies?

"Try That in a Small Town" is an angry online comments section turned into a song. America is getting the "song of the summer" it deserves in 2023.

We talk a lot about rock dying, but traditional pop is kinda on the way out too.

When was the last time a pop hit came around that everyone knew? Maybe Taylor Swift's "Anti-Hero"? Before that... "Sucker for You" by the Jonas Brothers?

The current Taylor Swift song in the top 10 is a fan favorite from 2019.... further evidence Billboard is turning into one big catalog chart.

Pop music is no longer a shared experience. It's niche. Look at that list. Country, rap, K-pop, Taylor Swift. You think there's a radio station today that has all of that in their playlist?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

daveg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:54 am I like me some bro country, and even a lot of Aldean's tunes. Problem is, this is not a very good song. Obviously, people are just buying/streaming it to make some kind of political point.
This. I don't particularly care if the song "promotes violence" or not. Tons of country music from the past has, and I don't remember too many people trying to cancel Johnny Cash for shooting a man in Reno just to watch him die. I listen to rock and metal that does that, watch horror movies, murder mysteries, etc. Much of the entertainment I consume "promotes violence."
It's just not a great song. Buuuuut, art can be political whether it was meant to be or not. It's all in how the art is received. As much as I'd like music to be judged solely on its merit, art isn't always judged that way, so I guess the song charting for political reasons is fine, too. It's just not a great song.

I fucking HATE that Morgan Wallen song, at this point. I like some of his stuff, but this song sucks. Also, the dude puts out 30-song albums where only five are good.

"Fast Car" is a great cover. Overplayed, but Luke Combs is infinitely more talented than either Wallen or Aldean.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
JourneyRules
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by JourneyRules »

That's some real timeless songwriting on that list. Who is going to be listening to ANY of those songs 10 years from now?
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

JourneyRules wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:45 am That's some real timeless songwriting on that list. Who is going to be listening to ANY of those songs 10 years from now?
Probably not. And seeing bro country dominating the top three spots here just disgusts me. The genre as a whole is just absolute unlistenable shite to me, and that Aldean song being #1 is just more fuel for the right-wing tards to go “hAw HaW, lIBruLz!!!!1!” as if they’re winning their stupid little “war on woke”.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Shotgun Messiah-Free

The SANDWICH OF THE SUMMER is.. Costco Roast Beef for 9.99$ 🥪
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

What’s big deal about the song. That’s life of small town.

Make world better place get rid of Subway sandwiches. That’s destroying the world. Pretty much garbage food for 13$
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

I wonder how many of the streams/purchases are from dumb fucking hicks who never heatd of this clown before, but wanted to "own the libs"?
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Not my song of the summer. "Bro Country" is the worst genre in music hands down. I'd rather listen to fucking opera. Awful.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Gibsonite wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:02 pm I wonder how many of the streams/purchases are from dumb fucking hicks who never heatd of this clown before, but wanted to "own the libs"?
Exactly what I was kind of alluding to in my post above. Then again, most people I know in my neck of the woods who are all about "owning the libs" usually enjoy listening to bro country to begin with. After all, it's a genre that's mainly custom made for and largely caters to white trash rednecks, ain't it?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

This retard shit isn’t putting Trump back in office no matter how many times you listen to it.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Image\
Are you not triggered?
Are you not losing your shit?
ImageImage
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:56 am I'm not even joking. Here's the rest of the top-10. What else qualifies?

"Try That in a Small Town" is an angry online comments section turned into a song. America is getting the "song of the summer" it deserves in 2023.

We talk a lot about rock dying, but traditional pop is kinda on the way out too.

When was the last time a pop hit came around that everyone knew? Maybe Taylor Swift's "Anti-Hero"? Before that... "Sucker for You" by the Jonas Brothers?

The current Taylor Swift song in the top 10 is a fan favorite from 2019.... further evidence Billboard is turning into one big catalog chart.

Pop music is no longer a shared experience. It's niche. Look at that list. Country, rap, K-pop, Taylor Swift. You think there's a radio station today that has all of that in their playlist?
Miley Cyrus - Flowers might the last Pop song that everyone knew....and it was...and still is an awesome tune. But ya, doesn't seem to be any new mainstream pop acts out there anymore.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Okay, maybe not. "Small Town" drops from #1 to #21 this week.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/eve ... 49150.html

dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:03 am Okay, maybe not. "Small Town" drops from #1 to #21 this week.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/eve ... 49150.html

Which just means that "Last Night" is #1 again. Blech.
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

[/quote]

Miley Cyrus - Flowers might the last Pop song that everyone knew....and it was...and still is an awesome tune. But ya, doesn't seem to be any new mainstream pop acts out there anymore.
[/quote]

This. Took my tween daughter to a Daddy/Daughter dance this past Spring and this was by far the most popular song in that demographic. Every school girl age 7 - 12 singing this at the top of their lungs in a school gymnasium was the ultimate wake up call for me on how popular this song is. And it is a good song.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Calling it now: "Perhaps" will rocket to #1 next week and Generation Z will finally fall in love with Axl Rose and his sexy snake dance.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

thechefs2003 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:42 am
[/quote]

This. Took my tween daughter to a Daddy/Daughter dance this past Spring and this was by far the most popular song in that demographic. Every school girl age 7 - 12 singing this at the top of their lungs in a school gymnasium was the ultimate wake up call for me on how popular this song is. And it is a good song.
[/quote]

I know the Flowers song. Don’t recognize any of the songs on that list.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TooOldToCare
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by TooOldToCare »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:31 pm Not my song of the summer. "Bro Country" is the worst genre in music hands down. I'd rather listen to fucking opera. Awful.
This. It's as derivative as it gets. My brother-in-law plays in a bro-country cover band. They PACK the house, mostly with middle-aged women that think they're 25. I saw them play out twice and wanted to drive into a concrete barrier both times. In this case, I can't try to support a family member a third time.