Carrie Underwood kills it opening for GnR

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Carrie Underwood kills it opening for GnR

Post by daveg »

Had some friends who went to GnR last night with Underwood opening. They HATE country and were pissed she was opening.

Said she was great and the crowd loved her. Played about half her stuff and a bunch of covers. Not going to go out and turn country, but was waaaay better than expected.

I thought it was a weird pairing, but she does have a lot of "rock" in her.

This one is awesome

Ace of Spades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XexpjZv ... AdamParent
Hair I Go Again
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Carrie Underwood kills it opening for GnR

Post by Hair I Go Again »

Come on, take the extra five seconds and copy/paste the setlist so my lazy ass doesn't have to look it up!

<5 seconds later>

I'm ashamed to admit that I had absolutely no idea "Alone" wasn't a Heart original.

Heard her cover of "Mama, I'm Coming Home" on SXM the other day. She was fine, but the guitarist was a letdown compared to Zakk. Made me realize what a fun soloist he used to be.

Anyway, onto the setlist, which looks almost as long as GNR's!

Bad Reputation (Joan Jett cover)
Last Name
Undo It
Crazy Angels
Hate My Heart
Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Pat Benatar cover)
Velvet Heartbreak
Alone (i‐Ten cover)
Church Bells
Somethin' Bad (Miranda Lambert cover)
Poor Everybody Else
Out of That Truck
Blown Away
Wild Horses (The Rolling Stones cover)
Flat on the Floor
Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin cover)
Ace of Spades (Motörhead cover)
Before He Cheats
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

That's pretty damn good. A lot of these country artist are closet metal heads. Paisley and Urban also come to mind.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Hair I Go Again wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:55 am Ace of Spades (Motörhead cover)

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
MattleyCrue
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by MattleyCrue »

She is amazing. So damn pretty should be against the law.
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

Whaaaaa???

She’s at least as awful as GNR, but on what planet does Carrie Underwood OPEN for Axl Mouse and the LiveNation All-Stars??
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Sorry, not giving her any credit. "Before He Cheats" and whatever awful version of the Sunday Night Football theme song they trot out each week are two of the worst things ever inflicted upon mankind.

I don't know what the fuck their braintrust is thinking having her and The Pretenders open some of these shows.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Pics from the show they posted on their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/gunsnroses/pos ... PjdKSTyB2l
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

I have the pants Axl has
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

She's smart to do a bunch of covers. It's not her crowd, so she's entertaining them, and exposing them to some of her stuff. I like it.

Wolfgang would never do this.

How long was her set? Thats damn near co-headlining length!
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

i would CARRy her UNDErWEAr
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I’m not the biggest country fan but she can sing her ass off and she’s always shown love to hair metal and hard rock. She’s cool in my book.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

I've had to sit through at least one concert for every tour. She can sing, dance & looks great & that setlist is awesome.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Al Franken used to say "celebrity" trumps everything. People might slag off a famous person over politics or whatever, but light up and kiss ass when that same celebrity enters a room.

It's probably a similar deal with Gn'R fans watching Carrie Underwood.

Also... it's Nashville. There's more crossover between rock and country fans than you think.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

daveg wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:05 am Had some friends who went to GnR last night with Underwood opening. They HATE country and were pissed she was opening.

Said she was great and the crowd loved her. Played about half her stuff and a bunch of covers. Not going to go out and turn country, but was waaaay better than expected.

This one is awesome

Ace of Spades
Watched the video, skeptical at first but honestly that didn't suck. Get her a legit rock producer and rock band and I'd be curious to hear what they come up with.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

thechefs2003 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:47 am
daveg wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:05 am Had some friends who went to GnR last night with Underwood opening. They HATE country and were pissed she was opening.

This one is awesome

Ace of Spades
And she looked like such a babe on the youtube thumbnail, I thought it might have been a still from her last glamor shot. Nope, just a freeze frame of her during the show.
Watched the video, skeptical at first but honestly that didn't suck. Get her a legit rock producer and rock band and I'd be curious to hear what they come up with.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:22 am Al Franken used to say "celebrity" trumps everything. People might slag off a famous person over politics or whatever, but light up and kiss ass when that same celebrity enters a room.

It's probably a similar deal with Gn'R fans watching Carrie Underwood.

Also... it's Nashville. There's more crossover between rock and country fans than you think.

Those are all good points. A friend of mine once said that Grunge and Country split the difference between the 80s hair metal scene. Half or one-quarter of the fan base went Seattle while the other half or three-quarters went Nashville. While maybe not 100% accurate. I thought that was a very astute observation.

Nashville and Country Music, to their credit, were also much more welcoming to the hairband, hair metal and 80s scene during the 90s. MTV, Seattle and the Grunge scene in general did their best to bury and cancel culture it.