A lot of you were in bands in high school

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

A lot of you were in bands in high school

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

What was the first song you guys learned and thought…damn, we’re good (but probably weren’t)?

Probably 16. We thought we were fucking great. I sang and played rhythm on…You Think You’re Tough! The bassist even sang Juan’s part.

All our friends thought it was awesome. Wish I had a tape.

Was probably horrible.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: A lot of you were in bands in high school

Post by BDG135 »

I tried to get a band goin' with another guitar player for about 3 years when I was a teen. We only completed about 4 or 5 songs. At the time, I thought they were good, but we were probably just happy to have something to play all the way through. It was hard to find drummers and bass players. We wanted to do straight Metal and most in the area were into funky stuff at the time.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

I think I remember playing, "You Think You're Tough" too, as one of our first songs. I remember, "Wanted Man", "Modern Day Cowboy", and maybe "Shake Me" - Where our guitarist threw his new Ibanez around his shoulder like in the video (and then flat into the floor, if I remember).

I'm sure we were an awful sight.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Sterile Eyes! We were as bad as our name suggests, but I’ve played with the drummer on and off ever since. I think the first song we ever jammed was “Blackened” when we were 15. We always played really tight together and still do, but that doesn’t mean our band was good back then!
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:47 pm Sterile Eyes! We were as bad as our name suggests, but I’ve played with the drummer on and off ever since. I think the first song we ever jammed was “Blackened” when we were 15. We always played really tight together and still do, but that doesn’t mean our band was good back then!
I'm still great friends with the drummer. Other guitarist is one of my best friends (he knows the Apple Pie guy).

Other guit guy also ended up in a band that recorded 3 albums.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

I think the first song my "band" ever played together was "Seek and Destroy," and neither I nor the other guitarist bothered learning the solo, so we basically just had a laughably long chorus there.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Songs? I don't think we made it that far! My high school jam sessions went like this...
Me singing and playing guitar.
The drummer pretending he knew the song.
The bass player staring at my fingers. And if you get lost, just go to "E".

Can anyone relate?
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:28 pm What was the first song you guys learned and thought…damn, we’re good (but probably weren’t)?

Probably 16. We thought we were fucking great. I sang and played rhythm on…You Think You’re Tough! The bassist even sang Juan’s part.

Was probably horrible.

""""""""""""""""""""All our friends thought it was awesome.""""""""""""""""""""""

This is exactly what is wrong when your friends or family are the judges...

Be it in sports, music, dance, comedy, etc...

I can't tell you how many times someone has contacted me online to tell me about their talented son's band, and 99% are 100% pure garbage.

Every once in a while 1 slips thru that has promise.

Same applies to anything in life... and with that, my question is the following...

"Who in the F#@k is telling Tommy Lee's wife Brittany Furlan that she iss funny?"

She's not... in fact, her stand-up is beyond horrible.

If you need any proof, click on ANY of her clips on her IG!

> https://www.instagram.com/brittanyfurlan/

$tEvil
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

UFO's Too Hot To Handle of course...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Our first handful of songs were Strutter, Catch Scratch Fever, Shout it Out Loud, an original, and Surrender. Basically a classic rock radio playlist and it was pretty uninspiring sounding!
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

You guys were pretty ambitious. From my experience, every high school band started with "House of the Rising Sun," "Wild Thing," "Blister in the Sun" and "Knocking on Heaven's Door".

But yeah, everyone wanted to play Metallica riffs and if you were halfway decent you moved on to them relatively quickly, beginning with "For Whom The Bell Tolls."

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

It was punk mostly .i was in grade 10 in a 3 piece band and we all sang , depending on who knew the song best. The first ones I remember learning to sing and play bass were. The Dead Kennedys - California Uberallis and Holiday In Cambodia. I also got to sing a pile of Ramones stuff . I quit after high school because I liked getting paid money for my work. The other two are still working musicians. We were a passable punk covers band for the mid 80’s.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Probably Motley or JP tune.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

I have no clue what the first song was we attempted. I do remember we tried to learn We're Not Gonna Take It. We were terrible and never got furthur than a few rehearsals.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

I was about 15 and singing, the first songs were:
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Iron Maiden-- Running Free
Rainbow-- All Night Long
woblinweebles
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by woblinweebles »

We killed playing this AC/DC song in my high school band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAF5bz8mjls
whammybar
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by whammybar »

Into the Sun by Grand Funk. We played every Friday in the school auditorium. I see 7th graders now and can't believe we did that, we felt like grownups. We knew about thirty songs, mostly Grand Funk and Sabbath. I had a big Sears amp, a Teisco guitar, and a Japanese fuzz box.... a Goya or something like that.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:54 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:47 pm Sterile Eyes! We were as bad as our name suggests, but I’ve played with the drummer on and off ever since. I think the first song we ever jammed was “Blackened” when we were 15. We always played really tight together and still do, but that doesn’t mean our band was good back then!
I'm still great friends with the drummer. Other guitarist is one of my best friends (he knows the Apple Pie guy).
The White Trash guy?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I remember the boys in high school that thought they were going to be rock stars. There were quite a few where I lived. None of them made it and I wonder if that ever bothers them. I know one that is still trying to this day and its just sad and has been for decades.
bill_kir
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by bill_kir »

Malibu Beach Nightmare, i'm sure it didn't sound as good as I remember it sounding
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:28 pm What was the first song you guys learned and thought…damn, we’re good (but probably weren’t)?

Was probably horrible.
We mixed originals with covers - Blink 182 songs "All The Small Things", "Dammit", Stroke 9 "Vacuum Bag", Third Eye Blind "Never Let You Go", "Semi-Charmed Life", Marvelous 3 "You're So Yesterday", "Grant Park". The last gig we played was a graduation party in 2003. Other than the fact the bass player couldn't play (last show, we're soundchecking playing "You're So Yesterday" and I'm telling the bass player the chords, he goes "I know" and I say "Well then why aren't you playing them?"), the drummer was co lead vocalist couldn't sing (he did the originals, I, the guitarist, sang the covers because I could memorize the lyrics) I guess we were ok. :lol: Certainly not as good as we thought we were.
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:27 am You guys were pretty ambitious. From my experience, every high school band started with "House of the Rising Sun," "Wild Thing," "Blister in the Sun" and "Knocking on Heaven's Door".

But yeah, everyone wanted to play Metallica riffs and if you were halfway decent you moved on to them relatively quickly, beginning with "For Whom The Bell Tolls."

Yep, that was our one and only Metallica song. We also played Plush and Alive.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Early X-iter set list consisted of the following... and I wanna say we didn't know enough songs to do 3 sets, or even with 2 full sets with all different songs, so we repeated some songs twice in the 1st and 2nd set. Lol

I not only sang, but played rhythm on half the set.

The Cars "Just What I needed"
Judas Priest "Breakin' The Law", "Livin' After Midnight", "Love Bites", and maybe "Another Thing Comin'" too.
Fastway "Say What You Will"
Motley Crue "Piece of Your Action" and at least 2-3 other Crue songs... maybe "Looks That Kill", "Red Hot" and I think "Starry Eyes" too!
Helix "Heavy Metal Love"
Iron Maiden "22 Acacia Avenue"
The B-52's "Planet Claire" (no vocals, instrumental jam only)

Lots of Motley Crue and Judas Priest in all of the sets!

Also... we had some originals too! There are demos of all of these.

X-iter "Love Ride"
X-iter "Teaser"
X-iter "Hot To Trot Girls"
X-iter "Kiss The Girl Goodbye" (yes... this morphed into "I Hate Kissing You Goodbye" believe it or not)

Later on we added other stuff...

Here are some actual tickets, from our shows..,. it was $3 to get in. Haha

This top ticket says Sat. Jan. 25th, and that is from 1986... the first shows I played were in the previous spring, like April 1985.

> https://www.facebook.com/mike.schneider ... xvgLpgmAVl

In the next band, Talon the guys were better musicians and we added some of the following...

David Lee Roth "Yankee Rose" & "Shy Boy"
Van Halen "You Really Got Me" and "Aint' Talkin' Bout Love"
The Baby's "Midnight Rendevouz"
Dokken "Into The Fire"

We also had an original called 'Blast Action" that we demo'd in 1986.

$tEvil
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

back then i was a part of a myriad of atrocoties when we thought we sounded good...we didn't but we had fun...the most memorable? i had a friend who was basically a disciple of neil peart...and he really was a phenomenal drummer, if he was playing rush...we were jamming and somebody said "magic carpet ride"...i played an approximation at best (that's being generous, i never cared for the dead) and then he kicks in with this complicated ass half time beat...it sounds horrifying but it was actually hilarious...it also proved to me that, as great as neil peart might be, he wouldn't be the right drummer for the grateful dead lol...d.m.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

diablomozart wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:31 pm back then i was a part of a myriad of atrocoties when we thought we sounded good...we didn't but we had fun...the most memorable? i had a friend who was basically a disciple of neil peart...and he really was a phenomenal drummer, if he was playing rush...we were jamming and somebody said "magic carpet ride"...i played an approximation at best (that's being generous, i never cared for the dead) and then he kicks in with this complicated ass half time beat...it sounds horrifying but it was actually hilarious...it also proved to me that, as great as neil peart might be, he wouldn't be the right drummer for the grateful dead lol...d.m.
Not to be that guy, but...Steppenwolf.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Breed from Nirvana.

We played a bunch of Nirvana stuff. It wasn't that hard to learn.

whammybar wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:00 pm I see 7th graders now
You are into them too? NICE!
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

I have an obscure one, but it was RHCP - Warped. The first time we ever sounded "tight".
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

Bernstein's "De profundis, part 2"
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

Tommy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:29 pm
diablomozart wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:31 pm back then i was a part of a myriad of atrocoties when we thought we sounded good...we didn't but we had fun...the most memorable? i had a friend who was basically a disciple of neil peart...and he really was a phenomenal drummer, if he was playing rush...we were jamming and somebody said "magic carpet ride"...i played an approximation at best (that's being generous, i never cared for the dead) and then he kicks in with this complicated ass half time beat...it sounds horrifying but it was actually hilarious...it also proved to me that, as great as neil peart might be, he wouldn't be the right drummer for the grateful dead lol...d.m.
not really familiar with them...i suppose a trip to youtube is in order...d.m.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

diablomozart wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:43 pm
Tommy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:29 pm
not really familiar with them...i suppose a trip to youtube is in order...d.m.
All I know is the song mentioned and Born To Be Wild.