Lets talk Starz.

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Lets talk Starz.

Post by Tymaster »

Not the wannabe HBO channel, the band! Are they one of the most criminally underrated bands of the 1970s or were they just another shitty 70's band?
I think those 4 studio albums are up there with the run of Aerosmith and Cheap Trick but what do I know?
Discuss!
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Re: Lets talk Starz.

Post by john3232 »

Tymaster wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:54 pm Not the wannabe HBO channel, the band! Are they one of the most criminally underrated bands of the 1970s or were they just another shitty 70's band?
I think those 4 studio albums are up there with the run of Aerosmith and Cheap Trick but what do I know?
Discuss!
Liked their first two records... but it was all downhill after that.

I saw the band live in San Fransico - Old Waldorf in 77 or 78 and they were good. Although I could have done without a 10-minute version of pull the plug
"Chinese Democracy is one of the most anticipated albums OF ALL TIME"
Brownstone658
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

Tymaster wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:54 pm Not the wannabe HBO channel, the band! Are they one of the most criminally underrated bands of the 1970s or were they just another shitty 70's band?
Maybe somewhere in between. I had never heard them until I bought the greatest hits after reading that book about Cheap Trick, Aerosmith, Kiss and Starz. They're definitely not a "shitty 70s band", but I wouldn't say they're criminally underrated either. I liked the hits album, but wasn't impressed enough to check out anything else. And out of those four bands the book covered - forme they're third after Cheap Trick, then Aerosmith.
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I’ve heard and seen people swing from their ballz for years. The singer was good but I never found much in the way of solid songs. They weren’t terrible but I was never blown away. I was always a bigger Y&T fan.
Kerry67
Recording Debut Album

Post by Kerry67 »

LOVE them. MLS was a killer singer/frontman and had great lyrics. Great songs, cool image.....
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:08 pm I’ve heard and seen people swing from their ballz for years. The singer was good but I never found much in the way of solid songs. They weren’t terrible but I was never blown away. I was always a bigger Y&T fan.
Oh God if they're worse than those 50-year never-weres then they must really fucking blow...
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Great band, one of my favs! They are still touring as well!
The power of Sludge compels you.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

They were underrated, should have done better. I have all their records.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i checked out some of their songs on youtube.
i like them.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Hellsinkey wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:28 am They were underrated, should have done better. I have all their records.
Could copy/paste this post into any obscure band thread on Sludge, be they good, bad, or mediocre...
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

Read this book and wondered if it was a joke to put Starz in with those three massive bands.
Guess not, because the dude spends a lot of time nagging about them. Mediocre band, had the success they deserved.

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Exactly. Almost all of these "lost bands" were lost for the same reason - they just weren't that good to begin with.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

jens wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:20 am Read this book and wondered if it was a joke to put Starz in with those three massive bands.
Guess not, because the dude spends a lot of time nagging about them. Mediocre band, had the success they deserved.

I appreciated the history of Starz being written, but trying to peg them in with the other 3 in terms of influence was lunacy. I like the part later on in the book. Ten years after being signed and managed and existing, they wind up being the ones who get all of the KISS stuff out of Aucoin's storage unit. I never realized that was a Starz thing until this book. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
DwightFry
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by DwightFry »

The debut, Violation and Coliseum Rock were all great meat-and-potato rock records in their day. Never cared for Attention Shoppers as much.

They're one of those bands that haven't aged well though. Last time I threw them on, much of it sounded very dated and mediocre. Adequate but unspectacular.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

DwightFry wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:00 pm The debut, Violation and Coliseum Rock were all great meat-and-potato rock records in their day. Never cared for Attention Shoppers as much.

They're one of those bands that haven't aged well though. Last time I threw them on, much of it sounded very dated and mediocre. Adequate but unspectacular.
To me they sound very late 1970's specific. The production, the sonics, it all takes me back to the 70s so it works for what it is.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:13 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:08 pm I’ve heard and seen people swing from their ballz for years. The singer was good but I never found much in the way of solid songs. They weren’t terrible but I was never blown away. I was always a bigger Y&T fan.
Oh God if they're worse than those 50-year never-weres then they must really fucking blow...
:lol:

Next he will be singing the praises of Triumph!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
The Stench
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by The Stench »

Fun fact: The 1982 EP by Hellcats was originally intended to be a Starz release. Since only Michael Lee Smith and Richie Ranno were left from the classic lineup they decided to change their name before it was released.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JGj1nCwxw ... BlcA%3D%3D
parasite74
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by parasite74 »

They have some good songs. I think 2 of the guys in the band used to be in Looking Glass "Brandy". Their lead singer on fakebook is obsessed with his hatred for Trump and thinks Biden is doing a great job. Richie Ranno also played on a song on Gene's 1978 solo album and was the organizer of the early KISS conventions in the late 80s and early 90s.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

pieceofme wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:03 pm

Triumph were aight... not as great as some here think, but they were aight. Killed themselves by trying and failing to sell out instead of staying true to their sound, like a lot of bands.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Summertime Girls > Starz entire discography

You think Starz are better than Triumph? And people call me a retard :lol:
The Stench
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by The Stench »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:40 pm

And people call me a retard
So you've listened to the entire Starz discography then? And still came to the conclusion that an ok at best Y&T song is better than everything? I'd say you've earned your reputation.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

You think Starz are better than Triumph? And people call me a retard :lol:
Nope. Don't think I've heard a Starz song. If I did, it was so unmemorable I can't recall.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

The Stench wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:00 am

And people call me a retard
So you've listened to the entire Starz discography then? And still came to the conclusion that an ok at best Y&T song is better than everything? I'd say you've earned your reputation.
I’ve not only heard it, I own their entire discography. Their singer was good. Their songs were largely half baked. Fallen Angel isn’t bad but it’s not as good as Poison’s and it’s certainly not as good as Summertime Girls.
Kerry67
Recording Debut Album

Post by Kerry67 »

parasite74 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:36 am They have some good songs. I think 2 of the guys in the band used to be in Looking Glass "Brandy". Their lead singer on fakebook is obsessed with his hatred for Trump and thinks Biden is doing a great job. Richie Ranno also played on a song on Gene's 1978 solo album and was the organizer of the early KISS conventions in the late 80s and early 90s.
Like I said above, MLS is a GREAT singer and lyricist, and WAS a killer front man, but he is off the deep end with his far left BS. He is the Ted Nugent of the left....Who I am pretty sure MLS hates as well. Douche....
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

If you're a douche for hating Uncle Ped, then this board is full of'em.
Black Stuff

Post by Black Stuff »

STARZ has a show coming up in NJ. MLS was supposed to sing but had to pull out due to medical issues.
The power of Sludge compels you.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:35 pm Their songs were largely half baked.
That's a good way of putting it.

I own all of their albums, and they're all flawed in one way or another (although "Violation" is pretty good). And Richie Ranno sucks.

They achieved the level of success they deserved.
parasite74
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by parasite74 »

Kerry67 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:23 am
parasite74 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:36 am They have some good songs. I think 2 of the guys in the band used to be in Looking Glass "Brandy". Their lead singer on fakebook is obsessed with his hatred for Trump and thinks Biden is doing a great job. Richie Ranno also played on a song on Gene's 1978 solo album and was the organizer of the early KISS conventions in the late 80s and early 90s.
Like I said above, MLS is a GREAT singer and lyricist, and WAS a killer front man, but he is off the deep end with his far left BS. He is the Ted Nugent of the left....Who I am pretty sure MLS hates as well. Douche....
I concur.
Mikky_Five

Post by Mikky_Five »

They had songs. You can find'em and buy'em.

Cool for them.

I think they were OK. Less than Y&T but more than MGK.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Tenacious_Dio wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:30 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:35 pm Their songs were largely half baked.
That's a good way of putting it.

I own all of their albums, and they're all flawed in one way or another (although "Violation" is pretty good). And Richie Ranno sucks.

They achieved the level of success they deserved.
Word