Van Halen's Live: Right Here Right Now - my review

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Van Halen's Live: Right Here Right Now - my review

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Got this record in the mail today, the RSD release, and I'm just getting done giving it a spin.

It's an album that seems to be for people who said "I like FUCK, but what I'd really like is to hear it sound shittier." So, no one.

I'm sure the double album is some record company arrangement because there is ZERO need for this album to be as long as it is. Who needs a live version of "Spanked"? Who??

Weirdly, I would say the stuff people would be most in favor of cutting--"Ultra Bass," "Pleasure Dome," "316," "Give to Live"--is the some of the more interesting stuff on the album. I think the "You Really Got Me"/"Cabo Wabo" medley works. I just like hearing the band sound loose.

The Roth-era songs are interesting, if only because Hagar couldn't sound less enthusiastic singing them. What a dick! People paid money. Suck it up, dude.

I think I'd give it a 2/5 overall. I got it for the collection; I can't see myself listening to this again.

One thing I really like about it is how LIVE it is, it really feels like you're at a LIVE concert, it's just so LIVE, I love LIVE MUSIC. 8)
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Van Halen's Live: Right Here Right Now - my review

Post by SeniorGrande »

The 2 things I remember of this album is:
1) No need to listen to it...
2) Never bothered to listen to it.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:52 pm One thing I really like about it is how LIVE it is, it really feels like you're at a LIVE concert, it's just so LIVE, I love LIVE MUSIC. 8)
Especially the vocals!
kwf
Headlining Clubs

Post by kwf »

Shite fake live album
Total Package
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

SeniorGrande wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:49 pm The 2 things I remember of this album is:
1) No need to listen to it...
2) Never bothered to listen to it.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

I liked that record a lot. Give to Live was a highlight for me.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

Saw VH for the first time on the European tour after this release.

What a borefest it was. Hagar had sucked the life out of the band by this point. Still pisses me off I was too young to see the real VH.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

You guys are so uptight. This is a fun album. Kind of a Van Hagar greatest hits before they had one. I remember liking it. Also good to have official versions of Sammy singing the old tunes. I know he didn't like it, but I did. The Who cover is cool too.

Came out at the right time between FUCK and Balance.

The summer tour behind it was a great time with a newly solo Vince Neil opening.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

The album never did much for me but the home video was another story.

When I was 10 or so, this guy who played in a cover band with my dad and taught me how to play early on made me a VHS with The Weird Al Video Library and VH RHRN on it.

All I know is the first two or three songs are probably what I’d point to as what made me want to take playing music seriously.

In hindsight I get that the footage is cobbled together, plenty was fixed after the fact, the set was way too FUCK-heavy, but I can’t deny that it got a massive “fuck yes” from 10 year old me.

The Judgement Day breakdown and outro still kick all kinds of ass.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

kanister wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:59 am Saw VH for the first time on the European tour after this release.
First and only time for me as they cancelled both the SRF and MSG shows on the reunion tour 2008.

I liked it though. It was deep into the Hagar era and I had accepted it for what it is, didn't expect classic VH, just a tight band having fun onstage playing Van Hagar songs and that's what I got.
Something like 3rd row at Ericsson Globe, it was Easter and Hagar said we are "probably the smallest audience Van Halen has ever played to".
Thought it was cool that they played 5150 and Unchained, I asked Alex if they would be playing "Summer Nights" and he said Ed can't do it without the guitar he used to record it. Should have asked for "The Dream is Over", can't believe they missed that in such a FUCK-heavy setlist.
JinglesTheChristmasMouse
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by JinglesTheChristmasMouse »

Not good.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:52 pm Got this record in the mail today, the RSD release, and I'm just getting done giving it a spin.

It's an album that seems to be for people who said "I like FUCK, but what I'd really like is to hear it sound shittier." So, no one.

I'm sure the double album is some record company arrangement because there is ZERO need for this album to be as long as it is. Who needs a live version of "Spanked"? Who??

Weirdly, I would say the stuff people would be most in favor of cutting--"Ultra Bass," "Pleasure Dome," "316," "Give to Live"--is the some of the more interesting stuff on the album. I think the "You Really Got Me"/"Cabo Wabo" medley works. I just like hearing the band sound loose.

The Roth-era songs are interesting, if only because Hagar couldn't sound less enthusiastic singing them. What a dick! People paid money. Suck it up, dude.

I think I'd give it a 2/5 overall. I got it for the collection; I can't see myself listening to this again.

One thing I really like about it is how LIVE it is, it really feels like you're at a LIVE concert, it's just so LIVE, I love LIVE MUSIC. 8)
Me. I like that song. I know I am the only one.

Never heard this album. And even the live version of Spanked doesn't tempt me!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

I love me some Van Hagar, but this has some of the worst song choices for a live album and might be my least favorite live album from a band I like.

Not enough from 5150 or OU812, to many from FUCK. (Spanked, Pleasure Dome, In&Out, Man on a Mission are not good songs) No need for a cover song. Only 1 Sammy solo would have been fine. Solo's were way too long.

Not having Summer Nights or 5150 is crazy.

They Dave era tunes did sound .... Ummm .. Forced. They probably should have just ignored the Dave era. At this point, I doubt anyone would have cared.

It's too bad, cause I think they sound great. Just nothing I'll ever revisit.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:19 am You guys are so uptight. This is a fun album. Kind of a Van Hagar greatest hits before they had one. I remember liking it. Also good to have official versions of Sammy singing the old tunes. I know he didn't like it, but I did. The Who cover is cool too.

Came out at the right time between FUCK and Balance.

The summer tour behind it was a great time with a newly solo Vince Neil opening.

Well said Freeze.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:19 am You guys are so uptight. This is a fun album. Kind of a Van Hagar greatest hits before they had one.
Spanked, Cabo Wabo, Man on a Mission, Give To Live and In N Out don’t deserve to be within five blocks of a Van Hagar greatest hits collection.
JizzySynatra
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by JizzySynatra »

Boring and unnecessary at the time. Releasing Live Without A Net on record would have been a much better choice. FUCK was only released 2 years prior and it's full with those tracks and they don't sound any better on this set. The Roth era tunes sound painful with Sammy singing them at this point. Sammy doing "Jump" is just awful.