Producers you can't stand because of their signature sound

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Producers you can't stand because of their signature sound

Post by Mister Freeze »

Heard Air Supply's "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" today for the first time in years. Immediately realized Jim Steinman was the producer. Pompous piano. Check. Creepy, operatic background vocals. Check, check. Overwrought ballad. Check, check, check.

Made me realize how much I can't stand that sound. Bat Out of Hell is a classic, but an outlier. Most of his stuff is dated and weird. Never liked "Total Eclipse of the Heart" either.

I can't imagine how Hysteria would've turned out if this guy was kept on as producer.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Producers you can't stand because of their signature sound

Post by Gibsonite »

I love Tom Petty, but I can't stand the sound of the Jeff Lynne-produced albums. The drum sound and layered vocals on Full Moon Fever drive me up the wall
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Gibsonite wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:21 pm I love Tom Petty, but I can't stand the sound of the Jeff Lynne-produced albums. The drum sound and layered vocals on Full Moon Fever drive me up the wall
same sound on George Harrison’s “cloud 9”
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Not typical Sludge music, but, Howard Benson.

A Sludge friendly comment is it’s what I didn’t particularly like about WVH’s album. It’s that early 2000s super-reverby-and-triggered drums thing.

It really worked for Cole’s “Year Of The Spider” but the rest of his stuff has a similar sonic template and just doesn’t do it for me.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

DangerZone wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:30 pm
Gibsonite wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:21 pm I love Tom Petty, but I can't stand the sound of the Jeff Lynne-produced albums. The drum sound and layered vocals on Full Moon Fever drive me up the wall
It is. It's awful. All the "oohs" and "aahs" in the background can fuck right off
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I absolutely love both albums.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Saaame. I play in a Tom Petty trib sometimes, and I fucking hate trying to figure out which of the 20,000 guitar parts to play on the Jeff Lynne stuff.

And I mean, the drum sound on the Jimmy Iovine produced albums is one of the best ever.
Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:58 am Heard Air Supply's "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" today for the first time in years. Immediately realized Jim Steinman was the producer. Pompous piano. Check. Creepy, operatic background vocals. Check, check. Overwrought ballad. Check, check, check.

Made me realize how much I can't stand that sound. Bat Out of Hell is a classic, but an outlier. Most of his stuff is dated and weird. Never liked "Total Eclipse of the Heart" either.

ummmmm....don't mean to burst your bubble, but Todd Rundgren produced Bat out of Hell.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

When Phil Spector used that wall of echo.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Rick Rubin
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
JizzySynatra
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by JizzySynatra »

Tom Allom
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Oh man, I love Tom Allom's early eighties sound...obvs Bristish Steel, Point of Entry and Screaming for Vengeance, but also Kix' first record and Krokus' Headhunter are all just great punchy hard rock sounds.

ElectricBallroom
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by ElectricBallroom »

Kevin Shirley, for sure. The stuff he mixes is tolerable, depending on the band. Produce and engineer, forget it. That snare sound is vomit.
long live the Electric Ballroom
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:58 am Heard Air Supply's "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" today for the first time in years. Immediately realized Jim Steinman was the producer. Pompous piano. Check. Creepy, operatic background vocals. Check, check. Overwrought ballad. Check, check, check.

I can't imagine how Hysteria would've turned out if this guy was kept on as producer.
I generally like your contributions here....but once you start in on Air Supply, we got a problem :D :D
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

Andy Sneap. I don't know what his problem is with the bass but he totally fucking buries it. Just look at Testament's "The Gathering." You got one of the best bassists in all of metal in Steve DiGiorgio and he is barely audible in the mix.

The same thing happened with Nevermore. Neil Kernon produced "Dreaming Neon Black" and Jim Sheppard was audible in the mix. Overall, that album sounds amazing. Then the in comes the Sneapster and Sheppard vanishes.

He even killed the bass for his own band, Hell. The bass on their records is nonexistent.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

ElectricBallroom wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:23 pm Kevin Shirley, for sure. The stuff he mixes is tolerable, depending on the band. Produce and engineer, forget it. That snare sound is vomit.
Was going to say the same. There are producers with a signature sound that I don't particularly like but it doesn't ruin the music, but with Shirley it makes me question the hearing ability of everyone involved. His albums are a hard, fatiguing slog on the ears.
Last edited by Whatever Happened To… on Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

BDG135 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:18 pm When Phil Spector used that wall of echo.
And even when he didn’t he was dog shit. Those 70s Lennon albums he did are mostly garbage. Way too much horrible sax.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Paul Stanley’s production/co-production credits stand for themselves :

All the shitty sounding stuff on PS78
Animalize
Asylum
Hot in the Shade
Sonic Boom
Monster

The fact that he’s only got one fucking ear seems to be lost on him. Probably sounds great to him but dogshit to everyone else.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:34 pm
BDG135 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:18 pm When Phil Spector used that wall of echo.
And even when he didn’t he was dog shit. Those 70s Lennon albums he did are mostly garbage. Way too much horrible sax.
Plastic ono band & imagine sound great
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Michael Beinhorn and Richie Zito made previously great sounding bands / artists sound like arse.

Heart, Soundgarden, Cheap Trick, Ozzy, Bad English (compared to Journey..)
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:47 pm

I absolutely love both albums.
Same here. You can also hear Jeff Lynne's production touch on the Wilbury records, "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" from the Anthology series, and Paul McCartney's Flaming Pie album. Having said that, my favorite Petty album is probably Wildflowers, and that was co-produced with the love him or hate him, Rick Rubin.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:36 pm Paul Stanley’s production/co-production credits stand for themselves :

All the shitty sounding stuff on PS78
Animalize
Asylum
Hot in the Shade
Sonic Boom
Monster
Great call. Never really thought about this, as the sound is not stand-out atrocious, just ranging from bland and average (Sonic Boom) to pretty bad (Animalize, HITS). But there's no good production among those. That said, the worst production Kiss had are Kenny Kerner and Richie Wise on the first two albums. Two completely different approaches to production (dull, sterile and lifeless vs muddy, sludgy and grungy) and both suck.
JizzySynatra

Post by JizzySynatra »

Sleek wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:56 pm Oh man, I love Tom Allom's early eighties sound...obvs Bristish Steel, Point of Entry and Screaming for Vengeance, but also Kix' first record and Krokus' Headhunter are all just great punchy hard rock sounds.
Hate the drum sound on those Priest records and the guitar sound is overall weak to my ears. Painkiller fixed those issues.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

Hugh Padgham.
I quickly got tired of that gated verb drum sound he used with Phil Collins.
Phil even copied it himself on production work he did for other artists.
TONS of artists and bands tried to copy it.
Toys like the Yamaha Rev 7 came along and made it easy to fake live.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

JizzySynatra wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:05 am
Sleek wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:56 pm Oh man, I love Tom Allom's early eighties sound...obvs Bristish Steel, Point of Entry and Screaming for Vengeance, but also Kix' first record and Krokus' Headhunter are all just great punchy hard rock sounds.
Hate the drum sound on those Priest records and the guitar sound is overall weak to my ears. Painkiller fixed those issues.
I love the 80s Priest records but the production wasn't very good and PoE and Defenders were plain bad. The drums on DotF have some ridiculous reverb, it's like he wanted them to sound lile Kiss on Creatures, the most overrated drum sound in metal.

Allom was lucky with Priest, they were a good sounding band when he started working with them so it couldn't get too bad. Take a band that didn't have a great sound to start with, like Krokus or early Leppard and Allom's production made the album sound like dogshit.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I guess it's just preference. I always thought Painkiller sounded tediously forced-modern, with that stupid clicky kick drum and over-distorted over-compressed guitars. To me, the real Priest sound IS that tighter, cleaner guitar sound mixed with those more natural sounding drums...liiike the first minute of Livin' After Midnight.

No individual instrument sounds amazing, but the gestalt is incredible. Pure punch, which they lost later on.

I always wished they would have done one more album using their old Marshalls and thrown all that digital sounding shit in a dumpster.

GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Sleek wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:19 am
I guess it's just preference. I always thought Painkiller sounded tediously forced-modern, with that stupid clicky kick drum and over-distorted over-compressed guitars. To me, the real Priest sound IS that tighter, cleaner guitar sound mixed with those more natural sounding drums...liiike the first minute of Livin' After Midnight.

No individual instrument sounds amazing, but the gestalt is incredible. Pure punch, which they lost later on.

I always wished they would have done one more album using their old Marshalls and thrown all that digital sounding shit in a dumpster.
Yes...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:34 pm
I'm sure am glad Bobby Keys can't see this post. :wink:

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

daveg wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:26 pm

I generally like your contributions here....but once you start in on Air Supply, we got a problem :D :D

It wasn't voluntary. I'm on vacation and it was playing by the pool.

Also heard Guns n' Roses' version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" - and actually enjoyed it. (I know everybody hates that song here.) But yes, odd playlist for sure.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Can I blame Brendan O'Brien for Springsteen putting out like 8 shitty albums in a row?
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:47 pm Not typical Sludge music, but, Howard Benson.
Wow, this guy has a LOT of credits!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Be ... iscography

Including LOTS of "Sludge music" bands early in his career...

Bang Tango
Child's Play
SouthGang
Tuff
Little Caesar
SouthGang
Motörhead
and the band that shall not be named
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"