Band Practice!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Band Practice!

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

dweezil wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:45 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:01 pm We did get flown to LA for labels, but by that time we were in our mis 40s.
Ain’t nobody got time for that.
We also got a few dinky offers that a couple of the guys wanted to sign, but it they were bad deals, so the other guitar player, singer and i balked.
The drummer and bass player would have done it for $50/week and free beer.
When was this happening for you?

It kinda reminded me of a band I was playing on the radio in the mid 2000s... fit in pretty well with the nu-metal pack.
They were doing well enough to get Roadrunner interested.

Just before they were about to sign a demo deal, the vocalist's girlfriend freaked the fuck out, said "I'm not having you going out on tour!" and the vocalist pretty much killed the deal, and the band with it within a month. If I recall, three of the five members were already in new bands with recordings available within 4 months give or take.
The rest of the band just wanted to quit their day jobs and give it a go, but the singer was the only one with a kid.
The band started in 2002 ended in 2008.
Out Southern Ohio.
We pitched to Roadrunner.
Positive feedback, but no offer.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:01 pm
dweezil wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:45 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:01 pm We did get flown to LA for labels, but by that time we were in our mis 40s.
Ain’t nobody got time for that.
We also got a few dinky offers that a couple of the guys wanted to sign, but it they were bad deals, so the other guitar player, singer and i balked.
The drummer and bass player would have done it for $50/week and free beer.
When was this happening for you?

It kinda reminded me of a band I was playing on the radio in the mid 2000s... fit in pretty well with the nu-metal pack.
They were doing well enough to get Roadrunner interested.

Just before they were about to sign a demo deal, the vocalist's girlfriend freaked the fuck out, said "I'm not having you going out on tour!" and the vocalist pretty much killed the deal, and the band with it within a month. If I recall, three of the five members were already in new bands with recordings available within 4 months give or take.
The rest of the band just wanted to quit their day jobs and give it a go, but the singer was the only one with a kid.
The band started in 2002 ended in 2008.
Out Southern Ohio.
We pitched to Roadrunner.
Positive feedback, but no offer.
That's ok bro. Talking to Demon. FilthySnake is on he Rise! Auditioning drummers and bass players..
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Metal Heart
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Metal Heart »

I was in a cover band for 10 years. Some of my favorite memories of that period of my life involved band practice. So much fun. The never-ending search for a place to practice. The long sessions of playing songs and hanging with people who became friends. Just great. I had to quit when I moved out of state. After ten years of playing in shitty bars and backyards I had enough anyway. I don't miss the gigs. But I do miss band practice.
"Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way." - Axl Rose
dweezil
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by dweezil »

Metal Heart wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:28 pm I was in a cover band for 10 years. Some of my favorite memories of that period of my life involved band practice. So much fun. The never-ending search for a place to practice. The long sessions of playing songs and hanging with people who became friends. Just great. I had to quit when I moved out of state. After ten years of playing in shitty bars and backyards I had enough anyway. I don't miss the gigs. But I do miss band practice.
I'm with you there.
I played drums in a punk* band for about 2 years. My abilities were very "Phil Rudd" simplistic, but I could keep a tempo. Nobody else knew how to play, but they made up shit around me.
Covers were more or less out of the question. The covers we did do, the only thing in common was the lyrics.
But with the noise we made, there was some great stuff. I still have the 4-track cassettes.
I keep threatening the others to make a compilation and release it. The surviving members are all for it (one guy died by suicide at the beginning of the pandemic). Now I just need life to slow down enough for me to transfer all the stuff to a digital form and make them sound as good as shitty 4-track recordings can sound.

*we were punk more in aesthetic than sound. We prided ourselves on being "The fakest band in America". The tunes ranged anywhere from shouting punk songs to freeform avant-garde noise involving things like thumb pianos and slide whistles.

Band fizzled when the guitarist and bassist (brothers) decided to move spaces to a place closer to their apartment... then the new place announced they were shutting down something like a week later.
Didn't help that by then, band practices were little more than the two guitar players showing up with a dime bag and a 40 oz. bottle of Colt 45 ready to drink and smoke up, the bass player arriving almost an hour later and (on a couple of occasions) too fucked up to play, and there I was, mostly sober, and ready to play within five minutes!
It'd be up to two hours before any of us would play a note.

I don't miss how it ended, but when we were creative, there was nothing like it.
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com