Why Isn't The Black Guy in Rolling Stones a Member Yet?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Why Isn't The Black Guy in Rolling Stones a Member Yet?

Post by FreddyFender »

Wikipedia says Ron Wood was made official after a year of playing with the Stones, and a full partner financially after 15 years.

The guy on bass has been in the band 29 years and still isn't even a member.

I'm sure the paycheck is good, but Jesus Christ. Can't throw the guy a bone and list him as a member/include him in the photo shoots after 30 fuckin years? :lol:
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Why Isn't The Black Guy in Rolling Stones a Member Yet?

Post by HueyRamone »

He's no more vital than the unnamed keys player, the percussion guy, the keyboard/French horn guy, the sax guy, the backing vocals chick or the new drummer. Chuck Leavell has been in the band around a decade longer than Bass boy, and is the musical director. if he doesnt get in a pic, no one new does.

I know they started out as a regular vox, 2 guits, bass and drums band, but they became a big proto-ChiDem thing, and since Woody, once one member goes, only a sideman replaces him
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

He's 61. Too young to be a full member.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

FreddyFender wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:06 pm Wikipedia says Ron Wood was made official after a year of playing with the Stones, and a full partner financially after 15 years.
Interesting... so they didn't make Woody a partner til Wyman retired.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Wyman is a tough one to replace but I think Jones deserves it, although I’m sure he’s paid very handsomely.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Zabooka »

The later in the timeline the replacement, the less significant they are to the band.

The Stones have been Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie for decades now. Those are the household names. Anyone else are replaceable and forgettable. Bill Wyman returning might be the only guy who could get official member status, but even that wouldn't be guaranteed at this point. He might just be a paid employee like David Ellefson when he came back the 2nd time.
roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by roxxxtar »

Because one of these is not like the others.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

FreddyFender wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:06 pm Wikipedia says Ron Wood was made official after a year of playing with the Stones, and a full partner financially after 15 years.

I'm sure the paycheck is good, but Jesus Christ. Can't throw the guy a bone and list him as a member/include him in the photo shoots after 30 fuckin years? :lol:
Ron had the pedigree of already being a famous rock star, with Jeff Beck, Faces. I'm sure Jones is a stellar bass player, but few had ever heard of him, Ron is a star, Jones is a sideman.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

The Black guy? The bassist and drummer are both black.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
Ziggy Sawdust

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

[quote=Zabooka post_id=7739150 time=1694146201 user_id=453110]
The later in the timeline the replacement, the less significant they are to the band.

The Stones have been Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie for decades now. Those are the household names. Anyone else are replaceable and forgettable. Bill Wyman returning might be the only guy who could get official member status, but even that wouldn't be guaranteed at this point. He might just be a paid employee like David Ellefson when he came back the 2nd time.
[/quote]

Well, Wyman was open to a full reunion tour for the 50th anniversary in 2012, but they marginalised him and only let him guest on 2 songs. Wyman was invited at every show but with the same circumstances applied, so he bailed after 2 shows. One thing that is true is that Jagger and Richards hold deep grudges, this also applied to Mick Taylor post 50th tour who again fell out with them after being shunned and not invited to their exhibition. Both guys not allowed to play on their covers album in 2016. Then they have also continued to discredit founder Brian Jones for many decades also despite being dead for 50 years, it’s very petty.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I've seen the Stones 7 times and I just had to Google his name cuz I just couldn't remember it, that says it all!

I just realised he's the second Jones in the band, there can only be one Jones and the real Jones is at the bottom of a death pool.

Another argument is that Darryl wasn't on any of the "classic" albums. Dirty Work was shite, but that was the last classic-era one in my book and Bill "I like underage beyatches" Wyman was still in the band...
Last edited by Psychobolia.com on Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ziggy Sawdust

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I liked Voodoo Lounge but it’s too long like a lot of 90’s cd albums. I think Wyman had that alchemy thing going on with Watts that no one else can replicate, where he played notes just behind the beat and suits the music. Personally I didn’t like it as much either when Keith decided to try and show off playing some bass.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:45 am I think Wyman had that alchemy thing going on with Watts that no one else can replicate, where he played notes just behind the beat and suits the music.
Which was a key element to the Stone's sound and part of why the Stone's are , "The Fucking Rolling Stones!" The new guy and the other new guy aren't the Stones. They're just sideman playing with The Stones.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Zak Starkey has been playing drums for The Who for 28 years.

Doesn't matter. The Who are Pete and Roger.
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Michaels replacement in the Jackson 5 is white but they changed the name to the Jackson 4
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

No Wyman, No Hits.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:21 pm
I know they started out as a regular vox, 2 guits, bass and drums band, but they became a big proto-ChiDem thing, and since Woody, once one member goes, only a sideman replaces him
They started out with a piano player too, but management thought he "didn't look right" for the group. Stu played with them anyway.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Black Stuff

Post by Black Stuff »

bad negotiator?
The power of Sludge compels you.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

FreddyFender wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:06 pm

They could make them dress up like Wyman and Watts. Hey, it worked for Kiss....
BlueTurtle
Taking Music Lessons

Post by BlueTurtle »

Miles Copeland - Sting’s manager explains this well: https://youtu.be/XCcwzpGsmHM?si=oGKEdIxadT7v_mP5
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

As I’ve often said, I would be TOO happy to play bass in The Stones! Stand back in the shadows, play those classic songs, travel first class, collect those fat paychecks and remain anonymous to 95% of the fans!! :mrgreen:
jens

Post by jens »

Weird thing to care about honestly. Especially if you don't even know dude's name yourself.
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

BlueTurtle wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:26 am Miles Copeland - Sting’s manager explains this well: https://youtu.be/XCcwzpGsmHM?si=oGKEdIxadT7v_mP5
The documentary that this clip comes from, Bring On the Night, features Sting and his band. His bass player at the time?

"The Black Guy from Rolling Stones."

:lol:
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

I’m sure Darryl Jones is more than happy with the way things are right now.

He gets to travel the world, playing classic songs, getting a good paycheck, and he gets to have more or less a 100% anonymous lifestyle .
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Bernard Fowler? Mick would be lost without him.

Seems to me the Rolling Stones haven't been a real band since Dirty Work in 1986. After that they entered a new era that we are familiar with today.

There doesn't seem to be much creative process that we associate with groups.

Simply put Darryl Jones was hired to play on Voodoo Lounge and the subsequent tour, only. As we know they have had lots of various sidemen come and go for several decades but they have seem to prefer familiarity following the same formula in the big tours era.

Also no bass player was a party to the contract in 1991 that covered Voodoo Lounge and at least a few subsequent albums though apparently Wyman hadn't officially quit but I remember thinking Wyman is gone and the Stones ain't done yet while Steel Wheels seemed like a last big hurrah.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

BlueTurtle wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:26 am Miles Copeland - Sting’s manager explains this well: https://youtu.be/XCcwzpGsmHM?si=oGKEdIxadT7v_mP5
Damn. Got to the point and nailed it in under a minute.
Dave Muffstaine
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Dave Muffstaine »

The answer lies in the question…
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Zak Starkey has been in The Who for twenty years without being in The Who. Same as Stuart Smith in Eagles.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:58 pm
Ron had the pedigree of already being a famous rock star, with Jeff Beck, Faces. I'm sure Jones is a stellar bass player, but few had ever heard of him, Ron is a star, Jones is a sideman.
Anybody with even minor music industry knowledge had heard of Darryl Jones. He was bassist for Sting's first post-Police project (replacing Sting!), and he also played with Miles Davis among many others. He was quite well-known.
Einstein Lawless
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by Einstein Lawless »

Maybe they don’t want to be like Alabama (band).
Drummer was in all the vids/ shoots, and after the inevitable split/ litigation, they claimed he was a sideman. All that media presence he shared made that claim a bit dubious and they settled I think.
Physician, kill Thyself- Danzig in the Dark

Stryper have a better shot at getting into Hell than the HOF.- The Stench.

You people are so burnt out on your own culture that you can't even talk about it intelligibly anymore.- Funz