the new Rolling Stones single is better than it has a right to be...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Re: the new Rolling Stones single is better than it has a right to be...

Post by WCiezak »

Anyone else think this sounds way too Pop and overproduced? And it's not as smooth-sounding as some modern stuff either. There's really nothing about it that seems like the Stones. It's like they took some producer's songs and threw Mick's voice on them.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Can't disagree with you, however, another perspective is it's what The Stones would sound like w/ a modern day producer and auto-tune, which wasn't the case in their heyday.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Yeah cripes they're not going to go to Pathe Marconi or Montserrat in 2023...
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

actually heard it on Sirius XM's Classic channel 25
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

WCiezak wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:24 pm Anyone else think this sounds way too Pop and overproduced? And it's not as smooth-sounding as some modern stuff either. There's really nothing about it that seems like the Stones. It's like they took some producer's songs and threw Mick's voice on them.
It is crap. If this has been released by a no name band you wouldn't be seeing the same universal praise around these parts.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

Yeah this production really overdoes it on the hard tuning. Autotune can sound really natural. I was revising a project I did for a guy and it sounded so natural that I forgot I had even inserted it when I originally started mixing it. But it does make a vocal sound more compressed for sure. There's modern Pop songs/albums that have a much more tasteful production than this. Demi's Body Say, Foxes' All I Need, Zara Larsson's Never Forget You, Jason Derulo's Cheyenne, that Weeknd song from Cobra Kai, quite a few. I'd put Ghostown from Madonna in there but it has some horrible distortion caused by too much limiting. I'm sure the original mixes of this stuff all sounds way better than the finished masters. The rock and metal stuff seems to be where a lot of the bad ideas seep into. They're always seemingly trying to overcompensate in an attempt to appeal to people who listen to Pop music. A lot of these guys have had inferiority complexes going back to the original eras they existed in. I Was Made For Loving You, The Black Album, Risk, that nu-metal Machinehead album, Fight and Two, Axl wanting to industrialize Guns, Slang, we've seen this over and over again. And I like a lot of songs on these sellout attempts. The Stones don't need to go this route though. A lot of things are "cool" these days. People love all that 60s sounding stuff. Plugin and hardware companies make a lot of money recreating things used to make those albums like the Fairchild, 1176, Echo Chambers, spring reverbs, guitar amps, you name it. The Stones would probably have a lot more hype if they went back and used the same stuff they used in 1965. We'd see headlines like "Stones new album uses all vintage equipment from classic Aftermath album". Then give it a high dynamic range master for the full "retro" experience. Employing all this overblown modern production is the opposite of evolving and moving forward.
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

WCiezak wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:48 pm I was revising a blowjob I did for a guy and it sounded so natural that I forgot I had even inserted it when I originally started licking it. Then give it a high dynamic range master for the full "retro" experience.
:shock:
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Not a great start and not a track I would go back to often. Kind of dreading the next single with Lady Gaga as well. Her and Mick belting gospel crap sounds like hell. Some of the descriptions of the deeper cuts still gives me hope.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Stones showing the youngsters how it's done

Love the Sunset Strip theme and the rock chick is awesome. I thought I saw Tower Records at some point but maybe I was hallucinating?

I got an AC/DC vibe from the rhythm section and then imagined Brian Johnson singing it with some alternative lyrics like 'Babe Get Down On Your Knees' :twisted:
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

I like this fan remix of last couple of minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-LQ64UYzj8&t=2s
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Jagger just said in an interview it’s not the last stones album, and they are two thirds of the way through another album, not sure if he was being serious.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:57 am Jagger just said in an interview it’s not the last stones album, and they are two thirds of the way through another album, not sure if he was being serious.
I heard him mention in another interview that this one isn't actually all that "new", having been in the works for several years now, so I could see it.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!