Can the Rolling Stones go top-10 (or even #1) with "Angry"?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Can the Rolling Stones go top-10 (or even #1) with "Angry"?

Post by Mister Freeze »

This song has a good buzz. It's trending #7 for music on YouTube, although it's outpacing other songs ahead of it. (Doja Cat's latest has been out longer and has fewer views, I don't know why she's "trending" higher.)

Don't ask me to explain. As we've discussed before, music charts are convoluted these days and don't make sense. But the Stones are celebrities (which counts more than anything) with buzz, hype, history, and news coverage. It helps that the song is actually good and their core fan base is old enough to actually pay for physical formats (and may even pay for downloads, although I don't see the song listed as a single on Apple). They also couldn't have picked a more current It Girl for the video.

There isn't much competition out there right now with country and rap doing their niche thing. The only roadblock is Olivia Rodrigo, who's turning into Taylor Swift with every song on her album set to go Top 10 due to streaming.

But I always love a good comeback hit. This one feels legit for the Stones. Would be cool to see it chart high for the resume if nothing else.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Can the Rolling Stones go top-10 (or even #1) with "Angry"?

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

You answered your own question, which is, would it mean anything? No. This is probably the last hurrah, so if it helps them go out with a bigger bang, that's all that matters.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Of course. The Stones are a huge band. It shouldn't be a problem to come up with the money to pull it off.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Glad they're not going out with A Bigger Bang!
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Doubtful. It'd be great to see, but unfortunately it's just going to be a battle of the white trash bro country and the big name pop darlings until the annual Christmastime Mariah Carey lovefest resumes.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Ben Lauter
@thetenbenny
·
17h
I thought it was alright. Not bad. Perhaps I'd appreciate it more through the prism of that old-meets-new vibe. The drums don't sound like Watts or have that swing so perhaps this isn't one of the tracks he was on.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

BDG135 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:03 am
Ben Lauter
@thetenbenny
·
17h
I thought it was alright. Not bad. Perhaps I'd appreciate it more through the prism of that old-meets-new vibe. The drums don't sound like Watts or have that swing so perhaps this isn't one of the tracks he was on.
The reply:
"You have terrible taste."
https://twitter.com/Gennefer/status/1700997544749547699
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

That's just unfair... you could use that to reply to almost all of his posts. Do better.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

Nate S Axel wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:10 pm
Ben Lauter
@thetenbenny
·
17h
The reply:
Gennefer is a wise woman.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

just watched the video.
i liked the song.
good looking chick in video.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Won't know until the chart next week, but it's not even on the 200 daily streams on Spotify after a week, so dropping like a stone. The numbers from the first few days might propel it along with geezers buying the single. The only two rock songs in top 200 are Creep and Dreams. The video has 14 million views and Sweeney helped with that from the younger demo who want a look at her writhing but they're not streaming it. It will debut well and be gone in a couple of weeks.

They've teased the Lady Gaga single coming up soon. That might have a better chance. Gospel tune with her belting might bring in more streams.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Nate S Axel wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:10 pm
Ben Lauter
@thetenbenny
·
17h
The reply:
I mean, he's not wrong. It's hardly a great song. Unless Gennefer thinks it a horrific song and telling him he has terrible taste for thinking it is alright.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

#34 debut in the UK.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Their last album only went gold in the USA decade plus ago if I remember rightly.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

BernieTaupson wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:48 pm Their last album only went gold in the USA decade plus ago if I remember rightly.
Looks like it went platinum.

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab ... ch_section

We shall see how this record does. They have about a half dozen different formats to sell this time.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

#11 in New Zealand, baby!
https://nztop40.co.nz/chart/hotsingles?chart=5665

(This may be the closest we get.)
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

What’s that for, 500 units sold?