Is there a drummer more famous than Ringo Starr?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Is there a drummer more famous than Ringo Starr?

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

BernieTaupson wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:22 am Waiting for RisingFarce to jump in and tell everyone it’s Eric Singer.
FTFY
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
LovePowerFromTheMamaHead
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by LovePowerFromTheMamaHead »

sunshinehead wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:18 pm Ringo
Moon
Bonham
Baker
Grohl
Rich
Krupa

I’d wager most have heard of those, any others including Lars or Phil Collins would not be on anyone’s radar.
Collins has one of the recognized drum beat of all time. It is used in memes by people of all ages.

Grohl should be disqualified because it isn't his drumming that would make him popular enough to be included. He would have faded away like the bassist if he didn't become a guitarist and frontman.
ROADHEAD wrote:No, the book is live. I can see guys holding guitars in it. It's a live book.
DeathCurse wrote:A guy like Mamahead couldn't inspire anyone to hand over 5 bucks. He's not a douche, he's not awesome. He's just here.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:47 am Charlie Watts.
Most kids out there wearing Rolling Stones shirts probably couldn't even name Mick Jagger let alone fucking Charlie Watts.. get out of here.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

Darrien wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:23 am
Whatever Happened To… wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:47 am Charlie Watts.
Most kids out there wearing Rolling Stones shirts probably couldn't even name Mick Jagger let alone fucking Charlie Watts.. get out of here.
I don't know, I guess it's just my age, but while Charlie would not be my first name, he'd always be on the short list when someone says "rock drummers".
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

LovePowerFromTheMamaHead wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:34 am Grohl should be disqualified because it isn't his drumming that would make him popular enough to be included. He would have faded away like the bassist if he didn't become a guitarist and frontman.
That's exactly what I was gonna say... but it's not even Foo Fighters. It's just his presence. He seems to appear in every single music documentary. I think he's a big barbecue guy too. His name came up somehow when I was looking up BBQ tips! :)
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:03 am
LovePowerFromTheMamaHead wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:34 am Grohl should be disqualified because it isn't his drumming that would make him popular enough to be included. He would have faded away like the bassist if he didn't become a guitarist and frontman.
That's exactly what I was gonna say... but it's not even Foo Fighters. It's just his presence. He seems to appear in every single music documentary. I think he's a big barbecue guy too. His name came up somehow when I was looking up BBQ tips! :)
Even the Mod has a Dave Grohl bar-b-que story.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

Christ I can't believe no one said Peart.
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

Tommy Lee because of his marriage (and video) to Pamela more than being the drummer for Crüe.
A-list celebrity & B-list musician.
LouCipherr
Playing Frat Parties

Post by LouCipherr »

Gibsonite wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:20 pm Image

Thread over..

This is the correct answer.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Wow...this might actually be the correct answer
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

AlexVonHaig wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:50 pm The answer is no.

Your thread was doing fine but went off the rails immediately after the OP. People even mentioned Tommy Lee ffs.

Moon
Bonham
Baker
Grohl
Rich
Krupa

I’d wager most have heard of those, any others including Lars or Phil Collins would not be on anyone’s radar.
I’d wager most have heard of Ringo and Grohl.
ColinRobinson
Taking Music Lessons

Post by ColinRobinson »

I met Ringo Starr at a restaurant once - we'd accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that).

Anyway, the manager, completely embarrassed (this is a pretty nice restaurant) comes by and says "I'm so sorry, but we'd like to move you to another table if you could be troubled, and we'll gladly compensate you for the cost of the meal and any other meal you'd like while you're in town." My wife and cousin were both like "Yeah that's cool." and I kind of played the asshole a bit.

"I'm sorry, I just don't understand. We've been here for 15 minutes - we've just ordered. Can't we finish our meal here?"

Then out of nowhere Ringo Starr shows up next to the manager and says "Paul, these guys can finish. We'll be at the bar. I got some time."

And I (being a big Beatles fan) said "Oh wow, uh... I had no idea. Please feel free to give them the table."

Ringo Starr was grateful, shook my hand and said thanks, then gave me a card with his number on it and told me to give him a call later. After working up the nerve, I gave him a call that night, and to make a long story short, we had a glorious 11 month love affair, man on man, that I shall never forget. Our bodies intertwined as one, and from the beauty of Morocco, to the French Riviera, to the snorkeling in the Galopagos, Ringo Starr and I made glorious gay love to each other on six of the seven continents.
It looks like updog.
whammybar
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by whammybar »

Radar O'Reilly
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Traxan wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:02 am Christ I can't believe no one said Peart.
In a perfect world this would be true, but Peart sadly isn't exactly the first name the casual music fan thinks of when listing rock drummers. Peart could easily be top ten, though.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Mark Michals.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

ColinRobinson wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:00 pm I met Ringo Starr at a restaurant once - we'd accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that).

Anyway, the manager, completely embarrassed (this is a pretty nice restaurant) comes by and says "I'm so sorry, but we'd like to move you to another table if you could be troubled, and we'll gladly compensate you for the cost of the meal and any other meal you'd like while you're in town." My wife and cousin were both like "Yeah that's cool." and I kind of played the asshole a bit.

"I'm sorry, I just don't understand. We've been here for 15 minutes - we've just ordered. Can't we finish our meal here?"

Then out of nowhere Ringo Starr shows up next to the manager and says "Paul, these guys can finish. We'll be at the bar. I got some time."

And I (being a big Beatles fan) said "Oh wow, uh... I had no idea. Please feel free to give them the table."

Ringo Starr was grateful, shook my hand and said thanks, then gave me a card with his number on it and told me to give him a call later. After working up the nerve, I gave him a call that night, and to make a long story short, we had a glorious 11 month love affair, man on man, that I shall never forget. Our bodies intertwined as one, and from the beauty of Morocco, to the French Riviera, to the snorkeling in the Galopagos, Ringo Starr and I made glorious gay love to each other on six of the seven continents.
Beautiful story. I never knew he snorkeled.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

whammybar wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:13 pm Radar O'Reilly
Don’t be fucking stupid. It’s Colonel Hogan!

Or Burt Ward!

BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I’m amused by how many drummers are named and only a couple posts mention Lars. GTFOH. I get that it’s hip and edgy to not give him credit for anything, and I’m not saying he’s ‘more famous’ than Ringo, but he’s Top 5 in terms of profile and recognizability.

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:03 am

Can confirm. I always find the best BBQ anywhere I travel in the south/southwest. Dave’s was surprisingly legit when I had it. Figured it would be decent, it was way better than that. Wouldn’t be surprised if Aaron Franklin or someone gave him private lessons.
Last edited by SterileEyes1 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

BernieTaupson wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:09 am Ok what planet is Charlie Watts more famous than the guy that sang Yellow Submarine and With A Little Help From My Friends?

You’ve also got generations of kids from the late 60s to about the mid 80s who watched this :

He said for decades kids would come up to him and say “why did you press the button?” because his cartoon does it in the movie.
The planet where Charlie was the drummer for the greatest rock band in the world. Ringo is number one, Charlie is number two. Then maybe Lars or whoever
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Not as famous as ringo, but Max Weinberg & questlove…
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Traxan wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:02 am Christ I can't believe no one said Peart.
No one in the general audience knows Peart.
sunshinehead

Post by sunshinehead »

LovePowerFromTheMamaHead wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:34 am
Moon
Bonham
Baker
Grohl
Rich
Krupa

Collins has one of the recognized drum beat of all time. It is used in memes by people of all ages.

Grohl should be disqualified because it isn't his drumming that would make him popular enough to be included. He would have faded away like the bassist if he didn't become a guitarist and frontman.

So what? I think you mean Collins has a distinctive fill, not beat. It’s not about who is best, it’s about Ringo being the most famous drummer ever, which he obviously is. No one else has ever come close, accept maybe Keith Moon and Ginger Baker, and I don’t care what year it is.
Luigi

Post by Luigi »

Onion Rings?
I never post when I'm sober.
LovePowerFromTheMamaHead

Post by LovePowerFromTheMamaHead »

sunshinehead wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:51 am
LovePowerFromTheMamaHead wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:34 am
Moon
Bonham
Baker
Grohl
Rich
Krupa

So what? I think you mean Collins has a distinctive fill, not beat. It’s not about who is best, it’s about Ringo being the most famous drummer ever, which he obviously is. No one else has ever come close, accept maybe Keith Moon and Ginger Baker, and I don’t care what year it is.
You are correct, i meant fill. Also, I wasn't saying Colllins was more popular than Ringo, but replying to the poster that claimed Collins would not be in any one's radar, which is obviously not accurate.
ROADHEAD wrote:No, the book is live. I can see guys holding guitars in it. It's a live book.
DeathCurse wrote:A guy like Mamahead couldn't inspire anyone to hand over 5 bucks. He's not a douche, he's not awesome. He's just here.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Zoltan Chaney
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

ColinRobinson wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:00 pm I met Ringo Starr at a restaurant once - we'd accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that).

This was funny when it was posted on Reddit... like 4 years ago. Way to stay current.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Exactly!
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Animal from The Muppets would be top twenty.
jens

Post by jens »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:12 am
No one in the general audience knows Peart.
Are people in here REALLY stupid, or do they think the thread says 'name your favourite drummer'?
Putting Peart in with Watts, Ringo, Lars or Grohl is absolutely mental.