Any US sludgers see Kick-Axe open up for Judas Priest…

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

fret123
Headlining Clubs

Any US sludgers see Kick-Axe open up for Judas Priest…

Post by fret123 »

Back on the Defenders tour in 1984? What did you think of them? Did they go over well and did you know anything about them prior? It was a big opportunity for what was probably a pretty unknown band in America at the time. They’d been around in Canada for awhile and had a pretty good following. The Vices album went gold in Canada. They had a good buzz in 84 but faded away pretty quickly. Any thoughts?
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Re: Any US sludgers see Kick-Axe open up for Judas Priest…

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

I was front row for this show outside at the Colorado State Fair in Pueblo Colorado. Nothing is better than Heavy Metal Shuffle blasting from the stage with the smell of cattle and popcorn in the air. It was a GREAT show
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Bismarck ND for my first hard rock show
Small crowd of 1500 or so
Was actually more of a Kick Axe fan than Priest as i loved the debut from them & hadnt started digging back on Priest yet
Still love the band, wish they could do more in States
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

never seen kick axe live but have their first 3 cds and love em.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I think I missed this tour, it was at the Tacoma Dome and I have zero recollection of that, I'll check my ticket stubs though. I saw the tour before and after this though for sure (World Vengeance '82 and Fuel for Life '86)

World Vengeance was the one to be at from memory and looking at the setlists. I looked for opening bands and I'm not sure who opened for this, maybe Coney Hatch, I have zero recollection of whoever opened and have never heard of Coney Hatch though lol.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

EzyRider wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:50 am I think I missed this tour, it was at the Tacoma Dome and I have zero recollection of that, I'll check my ticket stubs though. I saw the tour before and after this though for sure (World Vengeance '82 and Fuel for Life '86)

World Vengeance was the one to be at from memory and looking at the setlists. I looked for opening bands and I'm not sure who opened for this, maybe Coney Hatch, I have zero recollection of whoever opened and have never heard of Coney Hatch though lol.
Coney Hatch - Monkey Bars - great song
https://youtu.be/tuXhbk5gXgM?si=_k8gKx9Jn_gGa8F4

Growing up in the home province or Kick Axe I saw them several times, including a place called Barn 22 which is a converted barn for shows. Lots of great fuzzy memories from there.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Kick Axe's Rock The World reissue sleeve notes had an interesting story. Spencer Proffer was going to produce Black Sabbath's follow up to Born Again. He asked Kick Axe for some songs to Sabbath and they offered Hunger and Piece Of The Rock. Ian Gillan returned to Deep Purple after Black Sabbath, so those songs ended up on King Kobra's debut.