How has Back In Black sold 25 million copies in the USA?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

How has Back In Black sold 25 million copies in the USA?

Post by BernieTaupson »

Twenty-five times more than Number of the Beast and Heaven and Hell.

Twelve times more than Screaming For Vengeance.

More than twice as many copies as VH1 or 1984.

How?

It’s not like they crossed genres like Shania or Garth selling to both pop and country genres. Or even Leppard hitting both pop rock and metal genres. How the hell did ACDC manage to move so many units?
Bobby Blotzer wrote: This is the kind of shit the bozo over at metal sludge does
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: How has Back In Black sold 25 million copies in the USA?

Post by Mojo »

"You Shook Me All Night Long" is on the same Songs that Get the White People Turnt as "Don't Stop Believing" and "Sweet Child o' Mine." That's how/why.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Mojo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:45 pm "You Shook Me All Night Long" is on the same Songs that Get the White People Turnt as "Don't Stop Believing" and "Sweet Child o' Mine." That's how/why.
The title track most likely falls under this category as well.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

By putting out popular songs before the album existed, being around a while before that touring and gaining infamy and after the singer dies, put out new album that also has several popular songs.

I wasn't alive in 1980, what was the advertising like?

Add it all up it's no surprise it did as well as it has.

Also like the black album making new fans want to check out the older stuff for Metallica, I am sure stuff like Who Made Who, Thunderstruck etc. got people to also go back.

Halfway down this page you can see how the Metallica catalog sold after 1991 when the SoundScan thing came in.

http://web.archive.org/web/200110051435 ... sMay00.htm

TL;DR: I like Back in Black
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Mojo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:45 pm "You Shook Me All Night Long" is on the same Songs that Get the White People Turnt
You need to start a thread on this.

Fuck it, I will.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

If they sold 25 million, that absolutely crossed over.
sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by sirthx2 »

One way is dorks like me buying like 5-6 copies. LP, Cassette, CD, re-mastered CD, DVD-A etc etc.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Convincing L.A. Guns to open for them helped AC/DC break through to the next level.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Where I grew up, when I was 16 Back in Black was released. It instantly became our favourite record, and was played at every house party, bush party, bar, etc. for the next four years at peak levels and was easily most peoples go-to rock album. Everybody loved it and owned it.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:39 pm Where I grew up, when I was 16 Back in Black was released. It instantly became our favourite record, and was played at every house party, bush party, bar, etc. for the next four years at peak levels and was easily most peoples go-to rock album. Everybody loved it and owned it.
This doesn't surprise me at all. But what surprises me is that two albums after a 25 million seller, AC/DC struggled to sell more than gold with FotS, FotW and BUYV.

Also that Highway to Hell didn't sell more than 7 million. Maybe it's different in the US but in Europe, HTH is their signature song together with Thunderstruck. So you'd expect album sales to be closer to Back In Black than to an album like Dirty Deeds which didn't even go gold until after HTH/BIB in 1981 and is now at 6 mil.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

Like sirthx2 did it's one of those albums that a lot of people have bought more than once. You gotta figure every DJ in the world has it. Every strip club in the world has it. Every sporting event arena/stadium has it. It's just kind of one of those must have albums. It definitely was a crossover album. I grew up in a little hick country western loving town and back from my brother's days in high school in the 80's to mine in the 90's every redneck had a copy of Back In Black and one of those Copenhagen hats that are shaped like a can of chew. A lot of kids had that live album from the Razor's Edge Era too, but nothing like Back In Black.

I say it's well deserved. Songs I used to not give much attention to like Let Me Put My Love Into You and What Will You Do For Money and Have A Drink On Me are now my favorites. It's a great album! Bottom line.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:02 pm Twenty-five times more than Number of the Beast and Heaven and Hell.

Twelve times more than Screaming For Vengeance.

More than twice as many copies as VH1 or 1984.

How?

It’s not like they crossed genres like Shania or Garth selling to both pop and country genres. Or even Leppard hitting both pop rock and metal genres. How the hell did ACDC manage to move so many units?

because it's a great album produced by a great producer.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Back when I listened to terrestrial classic rock/AOR radio, they never played Iron Maiden, only played You've Got Another Thing Coming from SFV, and Black Sabbath didn't exist outside of Iron Man and Paranoid.

Meanwhile, AC/DC got regular play from You Shook Me All Night Long and Back in Black, and then got occasional play of Hells Bells and Shoot to Thrill. You simply were hearing that album way more than the others.

As far as Van Halen goes, I think the problem is that you've got two albums splitting all the sales, so that for the people that just want one Van Halen album, they have to choose, not to mention the fact that that "version" of Van Halen didn't exist after 1985, so it's not like the band was continuing to push those albums for the last 38 years.

(Thirty Eight years? Good Lord I'm old)...
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Catchy straight-forward Rock. It has Hells Bells, but nothing too offensive. Just party rock for the most part. Stuff like Ozzy and Dio is more niche when they get into proggy territory and more songs are about dark themes.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

If you look at the RIAA certifications, there's a notable bump in 1996-1997, selling 4 million over two years - a crazy number for a 15+ year old album.

That period overlaps with the Ballbreaker album release and world tour, so interest in the band was high.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

The strange thing about the 25 mil, is there are no hit ballads to get the random non rock girl interested. The only slower song on the album, let me put my love..., is arguably the worst song.

One of the few albums I'll still listen start to finish.

Also, as someone else mentioned, I think people purchased multiple copies of this. I had 3 copies,
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:10 am If you look at the RIAA certifications, there's a notable bump in 1996-1997, selling 4 million over two years - a crazy number for a 15+ year old album.

Remastered CD reissue.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

daveg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:43 am The strange thing about the 25 mil, is there are no hit ballads to get the random non rock girl interested.
Something about the whole album is apparently "girl-friendly". Kinda like VH's 1984 or Leppard's Hysteria. Great albums, but I've noticed that non rocker girls often love those specific albums but nothing else those bands did. One even said AC/DC sucked "except for Back in Black". I thought it may have been because she had only heard crappy albums like Blow Up Your Video and Ballbreaker, but playing Highway to Hell didn't change her mind.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Do any of you think For Those About To Rock...is on par with Back In Black? The other 80s albums have some good songs, but not as many as Back In Black. Maybe they were hungry and had something to prove with a producer pushing them. The quality dropped after that.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

I was young in those days. I am UK. If you want blood and other such albums were getting them places. In those days no internet. When Bon Scott died it was huge news. Rock was at its peak then. In those days AC/DC were genuine badasses, not like today. Anyway add that interest in them to the new album which was absolutely superb and you got dynamite sales. They also got all over the television with their new concerts. So a mixture of the shock at the death through drinking and the circumstances of it all over the news, rock being at a peak, mtv etc, and a massively popular killer album which was viewd with huge interest in the circumstances. And thats how IMO.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:14 am
daveg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:43 am The strange thing about the 25 mil, is there are no hit ballads to get the random non rock girl interested.
Something about the whole album is apparently "girl-friendly". Kinda like VH's 1984 or Leppard's Hysteria. Great albums, but I've noticed that non rocker girls often love those specific albums but nothing else those bands did. One even said AC/DC sucked "except for Back in Black". I thought it may have been because she had only heard crappy albums like Blow Up Your Video and Ballbreaker, but playing Highway to Hell didn't change her mind.

Girls like to dance and fuck. They don't just sit at home and cry while listening to Warrant ballads and reading Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:58 pm
Dyslexicheart wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:39 pm Where I grew up, when I was 16 Back in Black was released. It instantly became our favourite record, and was played at every house party, bush party, bar, etc. for the next four years at peak levels and was easily most peoples go-to rock album. Everybody loved it and owned it.
This doesn't surprise me at all. But what surprises me is that two albums after a 25 million seller, AC/DC struggled to sell more than gold with FotS, FotW and BUYV.

Also that Highway to Hell didn't sell more than 7 million. Maybe it's different in the US but in Europe, HTH is their signature song together with Thunderstruck. So you'd expect album sales to be closer to Back In Black than to an album like Dirty Deeds which didn't even go gold until after HTH/BIB in 1981 and is now at 6 mil.
Well you need to understand that once everyone bought Back in Black, all the old Bon albums started appearing in the stores that we'd never seen before, and everybody started buying all those too. The reason sales dipped after BiB is simple - the albums that came after weren't that good, and we all had lots of great AC/DC to listen to already.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BDG135 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:20 am Do any of you think For Those About To Rock...is on par with Back In Black? The other 80s albums have some good songs, but not as many as Back In Black.
The same applies to FTATR. It's basically Blow Up Your Video with Back in Black production. Two killer and a lot of filler.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

6 million bought it 4xs over lifetime..not that impressive
Lp
Casesette
CD few times
Hipster LP

AC DC was always C- band
If you see someone wearing AC DC shirt chances are = idiot
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Half those copies were bought by drunk or blind people who thought they were ordering Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album on Amazon.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:02 am
BDG135 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:20 am Do any of you think For Those About To Rock...is on par with Back In Black? The other 80s albums have some good songs, but not as many as Back In Black.
The same applies to FTATR. It's basically Blow Up Your Video with Back in Black production. Two killer and a lot of filler.
For Those was a pretty poor follow up. Had some decent songs, but apart from title track, a casual fan couldn't name one other tune.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

daveg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:37 am
For Those was a pretty poor follow up. Had some decent songs, but apart from title track, a casual fan couldn't name one other tune.
Fuck, I don't think I could either.
the_man_incognito
Headlining Clubs

Post by the_man_incognito »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:44 am
daveg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:37 am
Fuck, I don't think I could either.
As a kid, I got this album from the cut out bin...and I listened to it a decent amount...
The only other one I remember is 'COD'
tooth
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tooth »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:44 am Well you need to understand that once everyone bought Back in Black, all the old Bon albums started appearing in the stores that we'd never seen before, and everybody started buying all those too. The reason sales dipped after BiB is simple - the albums that came after weren't that good, and we all had lots of great AC/DC to listen to already.
Exactly, after the letdown that was FTATR, people went backwards with the collecting & listening.
HottKarl777

Post by HottKarl777 »

Because Back In Black (title track) has the greatest riff of all fucking time on it. Malcolm Young managed to write a riff even better than Zeppelin wrote, which is impossible.

I'm not even bullshitting. Greatest riff of all fucking time.