The Replacements - Tim, Let It Bleed edition

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

The Replacements - Tim, Let It Bleed edition

Post by Dyslexicheart »

The remixed version of the classic Tim album from 1985 is out today with a much-needed Ed Stasium remix. When it was released it was a huge album for myself and many others - great songs, great performances..... and a crappy sounding mix. We lived with it because it was such a good record, but this new remix is revelatory. I highly recommend checking it out.

In metal sludge terms, it's kinda like if Kiss Hotter than Hell finally against all odds came out with an awesome sounding remix.

Any 'Mats fans here?
JizzySynatra
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: The Replacements - Tim, Let It Bleed edition

Post by JizzySynatra »

Yep. They rule
Teos
Wannabe Rocker

Post by Teos »

Huge Replacements fan and I didn't know about this. Jim Dickinson gave them a pretty good sound on Pleased To Meet me but Tim has always been harder to enjoy and crank due to the sub par production.

Thanks for the heads up.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Interview with Bob Mehr, Ed Stasium on the new release

https://youtu.be/O_siWl-AenE?si=OCRDIXGb6V3rECsT

Another article that gets into the production quite a bit for those interested

https://rockandrollglobe.com/rock/blood ... GGbgptTixs

Pitchfork has given it a 10 out of 10 review
https://rockandrollglobe.com/rock/blood ... GGbgptTixs
Last edited by Dyslexicheart on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

What is it with Replacements fans always wanting to change the way the albums sound? Reminds me of Hollywood starlets with the fucking plastic surgery and botox. "Everyone agrees that I'm gorgeous and my face is perfect on camera... I must change this somehow."

I don't get it at all. Last thing I want to do is make changes to music that I not only love but also have tons of memories tied up in. I'm certainly not going to buy it and I might not even want to hear it. Same goes for Dead Man's Pop.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

exitflagger wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:26 pm What is it with Replacements fans always wanting to change the way the albums sound? Reminds me of Hollywood starlets with the fucking plastic surgery and botox. "Everyone agrees that I'm gorgeous and my face is perfect on camera... I must change this somehow."

I don't get it at all. Last thing I want to do is make changes to music that I not only love but also have tons of memories tied up in. I'm certainly not going to buy it and I might not even want to hear it. Same goes for Dead Man's Pop.
Your loss. Dead Mans Pop sounds terrific with all the crap stripped away. Same with Let it Bleed edition - it's just a much better listening experience. You can hear Tommy's bass, the reverb is stripped from the vocals and snare. There's stuff (guitars, vocals) in the background that were not heard at all on the original release (which I absolutely loved). It sounds more like the powerful band they were. This is better. 10/10.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Let it Bleed and Dead Man's Pop are more like alternate versions, none of them replacing ( 8) ) the originals, so I give them a pass. And I think they're cool sounding, especially this new Tim. I was listening to "Here Comes a Regular" earlier and was like "WTF? Is that a piano?"

Plus, I've heard "Little Mascara" probably thousands of times, I kinda like hearing it a little gussied up. And I like having the option of hearing the original.

It sounds a GAZILLION times better than the original. It's downright startling how good it sounds.

And maybe that was never the point--sounding good. The Replacements very often disregarded the notion that bands should be in tune, performing songs they're familiar with.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Sounds good to me!
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

I guess I'll give up the cash when they finally get around to doing a Roy Thomas Baker-like treatment to The Shit Hits The Fans.
ImageImage
Teos
Wannabe Rocker

Post by Teos »

I am completely blown away by this. You can actually hear Tommy's bass and it's almost like a love letter to Bob Stinson. There are so many great Bob guitar parts that were either buried or never utilized. He deserved this mix more than anyone. Probably the best remix/mix fix I've heard of any record.
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

I’ve been listening to my original Tim CD since forever. It’s burned into my brain. I checked out the “new” remixed versions on YT. I like them. While they sound clearer and cleaner, they’ve lost something in translation. The Replacements were never a band that strived for perfection. (Especially live, more often than not they were a sloppy mess being drunk off their asses most of the time) I liked the rawness of their records. :mrgreen:
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

They've got a Replacements fan group on Facebook and they are currently assessing the COVER ART for the Tim album. Wouldn't you know it... a large majority of them absolutely HATE the cover art.

It's like, the sound of the record is terrible and was in dire need of overhauling AND NOW we find that the cover art has been deemed unacceptable.

So what did we ever like about it? The clear plastic inner sleeve?
ImageImage
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

exitflagger wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:00 pm They've got a Replacements fan group on Facebook and they are currently assessing the COVER ART for the Tim album. Wouldn't you know it... a large majority of them absolutely HATE the cover art.

It's like, the sound of the record is terrible and was in dire need of overhauling AND NOW we find that the cover art has been deemed unacceptable.

So what did we ever like about it? The clear plastic inner sleeve?
Loved the original record, one of my very favourites all time, next to Sorry Ma and Let it Be. Cover was meh, don't really care about that. Don't taint all 'Mats fans with the same brush - every fan group has their dumbasses. Nobody hated Tim, many of us just appreciate the excellent remix that buries the original. And again, the set includes the original mix as well, cleaned up, so not sure what the problem is with this. 10/10 review from Pitchfork if that means anything to anyone.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

It kinda doesn't. My problem are these endless trips to the well with the same stuff. Westerberg isn't dead. But do we get new music? Nah, polish up the old shit and toss it out there again.

This is all MY issue. I don't expect everybody to see it the same way. I'm not trying to convince you you're wrong.

But they just put out a 180 gram pressing of Tim a couple years ago. Did they give that shit away? Of course not. I didn't buy one but if I did, I'd be a little cheesed with them saying "Oh look, now we finally got it right. Open that wallet back up, fanboi!"
ImageImage
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

https://open.spotify.com/album/2LJSizYgFPP6gP9O3YDBy1

It's available on streaming services
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen