Longest merch line I’ve ever seen last night

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Longest merch line I’ve ever seen last night

Post by Spongie »

Cannibal Corpse with Mayhem, Gorguts and Blood Incantation at The Fillmore.

The line snaked the full length of the building 3.5 times. I watched the whole opening 30 minute set while only moving about a half wall length before bailing out.

Went back after Mayhem… the line was still 1.5 wall lengths. Nope. I was finally able to walk right up about halfway through CC’s set and buy the shirt I wanted.

I’ve never seen anything like that.

Poorly managed? Unexpected demand? Cashless payment system slowing things down? What the hell was going on here?
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Recording Debut Album

Re: Longest merch line I’ve ever seen last night

Post by Ol' Dirty Bastard »

Those are some killer bands (unlike the femme shit usually discussed here), so no wonder people actually wanted merch
LIVE N' UNCUT

daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

I've gone to a ton of shows lately, and there really does seem to be a huge increase in the people I see getting merch.

Doesn't matter the size of venue or the genre, lines are longer than I can ever remember.

I've never been a Merch guy, but it's usually 60 bucks or so for a shirt, and along with overpriced food/drink and tickets, I figure people are stupid, or rich.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Could you read any of the band names on the merch?
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Merch at shows is odd.

I do like supporting a smaller band directly, they get the $, say a Danko Jones shirt I bought at the Viper. Helps the band out, cool shirt.

I also get buying one at a arena in the 80s or 90s. You can wear it to school the next day, so people know you were there, if it costs more, at least you dont have to mail order yourself one or go to the mall and look for one etc.

But what I dont get is waiting in a crazy long line now to buy merch at the show. its way more expensive than the same shit you can get online and shipped to you in days (cause of the facility taking a huge cut), and now you have to carry it around all night. And trust me, I dont give a fuck if Metallica is making max profits or not.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

I've seen this happening lately.

I suspect bands are taking a smaller crews out on tours now, so where there might have been at least a couple people working merch before, now it seems like there's only one.
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:11 am Could you read any of the band names on the merch?
Fair question. :lol: You’d absolutely have to know it’s a Mayhem shirt to read it.
Ham Stroker's Ejacula
Transylvanian Wang

Post by Ham Stroker's Ejacula »

If you honestly can't decipher Blood Incantation's name from their logo, I don't know what to tell you...

Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Spongie wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:18 am I was finally able to walk right up about halfway through CC’s set and buy the shirt I wanted.
You get a Mayhem shirt? That's a pussy magnet. Everything else is a pussy scarecrow...

I had a Mayhem longsleeve I wore for a few years, flipped it on eBay cuz it was too big for me...trying to avoid getting new metal shirts...
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am say a Danko Jones shirt I bought at the Viper. Helps the band out, cool shirt.

I really want to like this guy but every song is so damn the same...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:30 am
HueyRamone wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am say a Danko Jones shirt I bought at the Viper. Helps the band out, cool shirt.

I really want to like this guy but every song is so damn the same...
I used to really like a lot of his stuff, but it hasnt aged well for me.

Still dig the lyric: And when I take you out I'll stare you down make sure you're getting nervous
You won't understand that's how it is as a (k)night in Satan's service
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Ham Stroker's Ejacula wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:47 am If you honestly can't decipher Blood Incantation's name from their logo, I don't know what to tell you...

🤣
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

Spongie wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:18 am Cannibal Corpse with Mayhem, Gorguts and Blood Incantation at The Fillmore.

The line snaked the full length of the building 3.5 times. I watched the whole opening 30 minute set while only moving about a half wall length before bailing out.

Went back after Mayhem… the line was still 1.5 wall lengths. Nope. I was finally able to walk right up about halfway through CC’s set and buy the shirt I wanted.

I’ve never seen anything like that.

Poorly managed? Unexpected demand? Cashless payment system slowing things down? What the hell was going on here?
CC sell merch like The Ramones or Foo Fighters. At any rate, how was the show? I haven't seen CC since 1996 or so and I've been kinda itching to see them again.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Dave Muffstaine
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Dave Muffstaine »

CC sell merch like The Ramones or Foo Fighters. At any rate, how was the show? I haven't seen CC since 1996 or so and I've been kinda itching to see them again.

Corpsegrinder’s mile wide neck hasn’t changed a day since 96. Not sure about their show.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Merch = Money!

The $$$$ we made at the Rocktember show 2 weeks ago was like 2-3x what we'd normally make at a festival like this!

And, we could have made more, but we sold out of select sizes.

It's a delicate balance... damned if you do, damned if you don't, only bring 1 shirt, bring 5 shirts, bring 1 CD, or bring multiple... it's a gamble.

Also... any band NOT taking credit cards, or accepting the various like Venmo, Zelle, etc.. is slitting their throats.

Not everyone uses the same... meaning cash, or Pay Pal, or Venmo and the rest. The more options, the better chance you're making a sale.

Bringing a lot of stuff is also costly, with bags, harder to manage, etc... and if you only sell a few hundred bucks, well, then it's not always worth it.

But... usually, I do great... and for years, I've seen many of these 80's bands, who don't sell at all, have very few options, and limit themselves.

This is where signing to these "indy" labels is cutting your own throat... the Vinyl mark-up going on is insane, and a band can make a lot of money!

But... if you sign that right away, to Spirit Records, then THEY are making the money... NOT you!

$tEvil
ar1888

Post by ar1888 »

I want to see Mr. bungle at the Fillmore Detroit last week, the merchandise line started at the door when you came in and snake all the way around to the third floor of the opposite end of the building. Friend of mine was in line for 55 minutes.
Son_of_Sam_I_Am
I'm an angry, angry boy!

Post by Son_of_Sam_I_Am »

Went to this show in Tacoma last week. Lines were similarly unfuckingreal. Like, amazingly long. I've seen smaller lines at Iron Maiden shows. Most people were in the Mayhem line, though, and it stayed busy. CanCo's line was dead by the time their set began, and they had tons of leftover merch by the end of the show. Mayhem did not.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

the craziest lines i've ever seen were the stadium tour last year.
that may have been surpassed by the lines at maiden last week.
one booth was set up behind the net or end zone for reference. another booth was center ice/mid field. the ends of each line passed each other. insane
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Old_Man_Dokken
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Old_Man_Dokken »

I'm more surprised there are enough fans of Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Gorguts and Blood Incantation to even go around the building once.
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

Son_of_Sam_I_Am wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:59 am
Went to this show in Tacoma last week. Lines were similarly unfuckingreal. Like, amazingly long. I've seen smaller lines at Iron Maiden shows. Most people were in the Mayhem line, though, and it stayed busy. CanCo's line was dead by the time their set began, and they had tons of leftover merch by the end of the show. Mayhem did not.
I thought Mayhem stole the show.