46 years ago today, this act jumped the shark in a big way...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

46 years ago today, this act jumped the shark in a big way...

Post by Mister Freeze »

Henry Winkler is 'very proud' to be the face of the 'jump the shark' meme
Ethan Alter·Senior Writer, Yahoo Entertainment
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hen ... 48294.html

Forty six years ago, Arthur Fonzarelli took a big jump for Happy Days — and a giant jump for TV history. The long-running ABC comedy commenced its fifth season with Fonzie's three-part trip to Hollywood, where he got his close-up in a screen test, tussled with the self-declared "California Kid"... and leapt over a shark on water skis.

The latter stunt provided the grand set-piece for the trilogy-capping episode, "Hollywood: Part 3," which aired on Sept. 20, 1977. But it truly made waves two decades later when University of Michigan alum Jon Hein booted up the now-defunct website, JumpTheShark.com, which transformed Fonzie's shark-clearing leap into a metaphor for the precise moment when a popular TV series careened off the creative rails.

As far as real-life Fonz, Henry Winkler, is concerned, his "jump the shark" moment will never jump the shark. If anything, the beloved actor has doubled down on being the face of jumping the shark... literally.

"I am one of the only actors in the world who has jumped the shark twice," he tells Yahoo Entertainment with humble pride. "Once on Arrested Development and once, of course, the original on Happy Days. I'm very proud — very proud."

According to Winkler, his dad, Harry, is the one that set Fonzie's shark-jump in motion. "My father kept telling me to tell [Happy Days creator] Garry Marshall that I waterskied," the 77-year-old actor recalls. "I said to Garry, 'My father wants you to know I waterski. Next thing I know, I'm waterskiing!"

"I did all the waterskiing for the jump, except for the jump," Winkler continues. "They wouldn't let me do stunts. Not only that, but I didn't know how to jump! I knew how to waterski, but I didn't know how to jump like they do in the show."

Cut to 1985 when Hein and some of his U of M pals were deep in conversation about their favorite shows, and the scenes and storylines that caused them to fall out of favor. "Somebody said Happy Days," Hein told his alumni magazine, Michigan Today, in 2016. "'When Fonzie jumped the shark.' There was a pause in the room because we all knew exactly what he meant."

Hein used that conversation as the springboard for his 1997 website, which went viral in the pre-social media version of the internet. "Jump the shark" quickly entered the pop culture lexicon and remains the go-to shorthand for "creative bankruptcy" now — although its supremacy was briefly threatened by the "Nuke the fridge" meme that exploded online in 2008.

For his part, Winkler has never held a grudge against Hein for the implication that his shark-jump killed Happy Days. "We were number one for years after it," he notes. "I met Jon Hein ... and did his radio show once, so here we are. We're both standing!" And somewhere, Fonzie is still waterskiing.

Happy Days is currently streaming on Paramount+ and Pluto TV
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
DevastatinDave
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: 46 years ago today, this act jumped the shark in a big way...

Post by DevastatinDave »

I love Winkler. Brilliant on Barry and Arrested Development. Great homage to himself on AD when he jumped over a toy shark.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Love these older dudes that can make fun of themselves and be in on the joke.

Nothing but respect for The Fonz.

He's carved out a really nice career post Happy Days
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:09 pm Image
Holy shit, I saw that episode when I was a kid! Must have been 40 years ago. Didn't Batman spray a shark with a spray can or something?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

CrankerBait wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:30 pm Didn't Batman spray a shark with a spray can or something?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

No that’s the movie. The surfing thing is a stupid third season episode where he and Joker go in a surfing competition.