KISS AFL pregame show (Australia)

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

tommybonham
Passing Out Band Flyers

KISS AFL pregame show (Australia)

Post by tommybonham »

Kinda like an Aussie equivalent of the NFL.

https://youtu.be/5ksZ2j8NSqI?si=DyWSVK_965kg_td-

I’ll let the sludgers be the judge. Comments are interesting. Sole say it’s the best show the AFL have had. Others are pondering why the NFL can’t have something like this (que Eddie Trunk).

Be interested if anyone can (accurately) tell if it’s vocal tracks or heavy effects on vocals.

Either way, Paul sounds 70 yrs old. And mad power and respect to him.

Looking forward to Sydney, Accor stadium next week.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Re: KISS AFL pregame show (Australia)

Post by BernieTaupson »

Everything they’re singing is mimed. Music almost certainly canned as well.
LovePowerFromTheMamaHead
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by LovePowerFromTheMamaHead »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:15 am Everything they’re singing is mimed. Music almost certainly canned as well.
I like when he tells the crowd, "Everybody sing!", then adds under his breath, "except us".
ROADHEAD wrote:No, the book is live. I can see guys holding guitars in it. It's a live book.
DeathCurse wrote:A guy like Mamahead couldn't inspire anyone to hand over 5 bucks. He's not a douche, he's not awesome. He's just here.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I watched it...

Those vocals are 95% ALL pre-recorded... there is NO WAY in Hell, Paul can sing that... Zero chance.

Also.. Gene's vocals are also pre-recorded... you can see he's moving his head, and the voice sound doesn't even remotely fluctuate.

As stated above... likely the whole song, or most of those guitar layers, etc... ALL are pre-recorded.

Playing live in a setting like this... with little time to set up and tear down, and having a very tight window with TV rights, etc... there is NO room for error... thus like many Live TV performances, they are pre-recorded music bed, and most of the vocals.

And to the average Joe, they think "Hey, he just yelled "Let me hear you scream?" too..?"

Their mics are def live, but the sound-man has control over what you're hearing... and during most of the Verses and Choruses, it's the track... then on a break, going into or out of the solo, or at the end, the mic is Live and loud enough, for the performer to ad-lib some type of "Hello Australia" and the fans go wild.

Lastly... often when a band. or singer is accused of lip-sync'ing, they will at some point during a song, go out of their way to say something, outside of the song lyrics, or chorus, which then makes the listener or viewer think... "Hey, it's all live", when in reality it is NOT!

$tEvil
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Great trax...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

The ego ramp is apt.

They custom designed the stage for that 1 song, and Paul made sure that he was 50 feet out in front, as the main guy of the band.

I dont mind synching on something like this, what are they gonna do, spend 2 hours setting up the wedges and soundchecking? It's a rush in, rush out kind of thing. The worst parts of it are actually the non synched stuff, Paul warbling "HOWYA DOING!??!" and "EVERYBODY THING!!"
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

Kiss is the poster child for "hanging around way past your sell by date and becoming a pale imitation of yourself."
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

The music sounds good on IWMFLY. Has a similar vibe to the Alive 3 version. And Eric looks like he's actually playing. Not sure if the drums are a track or not.

Paul "sounds" ridiculous. The second verse is awful. And that's a track!

Would've made more sense to do "Detroit Rock City" than "Shout it Out Loud."

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
drummertroy
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by drummertroy »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:09 pm The music sounds good on IWMFLY. Has a similar vibe to the Alive 3 version. And Eric looks like he's actually playing. Not sure if the drums are a track or not.

Paul "sounds" ridiculous. The second verse is awful. And that's a track!

Would've made more sense to do "Detroit Rock City" than "Shout it Out Loud."

I think they're tracked too, at around 4:22, he's doing some cymbal swells and then a tom tag comes in and he quickly moves down to the toms. https://youtu.be/5ksZ2j8NSqI?t=261
This That & The Other / Drum Main Site
www.drummertroy.com or
www.facebook.com/tttotpf

TTTO OnDemand: www.tinyurl.com/TTTOTPFARCHIVE

Metal Sludge Tour Diary for White Lion (ANOTHER NEW LINK 05/2023)
Entry #1- https://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=30144
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

So KISS had 2 hits in Australia 40+ year ago - Are they looked at it as legendary there or just in another American act forcing themselves into professional sports? Huge crowd in this clip. Curious as to how the butter generation reacts to the band.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

ParaDime77 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:22 pm So KISS had 2 hits in Australia 40+ year ago - Are they looked at it as legendary there or just in another American act forcing themselves into professional sports? Huge crowd in this clip. Curious as to how the butter generation reacts to the band.
:?:

Never heard this before.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

pieceofme wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:26 pm
ParaDime77 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:22 pm So KISS had 2 hits in Australia 40+ year ago - Are they looked at it as legendary there or just in another American act forcing themselves into professional sports? Huge crowd in this clip. Curious as to how the younger generation reacts to the band.
:?:

Never heard this before.
Fixed. Also, stoned.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Paul has perfected lip-synching, he’s the best in the business … and at 71.

Still the best show on the road.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

If you want a clown show, sure.

If you want actual musicians and good songs, it wouldn’t be top twenty.
gruentransfer

Post by gruentransfer »

ParaDime77 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:22 pm So KISS had 2 hits in Australia 40+ year ago - Are they looked at it as legendary there or just in another American act forcing themselves into professional sports? Huge crowd in this clip. Curious as to how the butter generation reacts to the band.
Kiss are very well liked in Australia and the reporting on their performance has been mostly positive. Given the setting, I thought they did a great job.
You should always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

green day is playing halftime at the grey cup.

suck it super bowl
Hellbound

Post by Hellbound »

gruentransfer wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:17 pm
Kiss are very well liked in Australia and the reporting on their performance has been mostly positive. Given the setting, I thought they did a great job.
This.

I was watching expecting a laugh but it was fine. Knew it would be tape tracked but it was still decent.
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

Kisstard are the same the world over, I was one myself for many years, til I read three of the four bios.
Never got to Paul’s, Ace and Peters disappointed me so.

Anyhoo, metal fans in general down here are rabid, and the Kiss fans are no exception.

The crowd was there for the footy, it’s certainly the biggest sporting event in Victoria, and arguably in the country, though rugby fans would not agree.

It’d be fair to say though that everyone in the crowd would have known who they are, IWMFLY was my intro to the band, saw them on telly and was hooked, the next biggest hit for them here was Shandi, half expected to hear that too.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

According to the KISS discography on Wikipedia, the only certifications in Australia are Dynasty (platinum), Unmasked (platinum) and Elder (gold) :shock: Interesting trifecta for a nation to get behind.

Psycho Circus actually hit #1, but wasn't certified anything.

I don't think anyone from the butter generation (it fits) in that stadium knew "Shout it Out Loud."
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:25 am According to the KISS discography on Wikipedia, the only certifications in Australia are Dynasty (platinum), Unmasked (platinum) and Elder (gold) :shock: Interesting trifecta for a nation to get behind.

Psycho Circus actually hit #1, but wasn't certified anything.

I don't think anyone from the butter generation (it fits) in that stadium knew "Shout it Out Loud."
The 1980 tour was on the back of Unmasked, The Elder was the disappointing follow up.