“Silent Running” and “All I Need Is a Miracle”…

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

“Silent Running” and “All I Need Is a Miracle”…

Post by dmbrocker »

…are both friggin’ awesome, especially when played back to back. Anybody else here agree? I was listening to them both earlier today and it felt like I was being transported back to 1986 all over again. Two of the best non-Phil Collins songs ever done by a member of Genesis.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Re: “Silent Running” and “All I Need Is a Miracle”…

Post by SeniorGrande »

Add "The Living Years" to that list.

Paul Carrack is so underrated on two of those tracks. Add "How Long" (Ace), "Tempted" (Squeeze), and his solo track "Don't Shed A Tear", and you've got someone who everybody's heard, but is virtually unknown to most people.
EuroJR
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by EuroJR »

Looking Back (Over My Shoulder)
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

SeniorGrande wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:56 pm Add "The Living Years" to that list.

Paul Carrack is so underrated on two of those tracks. Add "How Long" (Ace), "Tempted" (Squeeze), and his solo track "Don't Shed A Tear", and you've got someone who everybody's heard, but is virtually unknown to most people.
Yeah, Carrack’s quite the crooner. “The Living Years” and “Don’t Shed a Tear” are great.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Einstein Lawless
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by Einstein Lawless »

dmbrocker wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:11 pm
SeniorGrande wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:56 pm Add "The Living Years" to that list.

Yeah, Carrack’s quite the crooner. “The Living Years” and “Don’t Shed a Tear” are great.
Doesn’t he also sing lead in How Long? by Ace?
Physician, kill Thyself- Danzig in the Dark

Stryper have a better shot at getting into Hell than the HOF.- The Stench.

You people are so burnt out on your own culture that you can't even talk about it intelligibly anymore.- Funz
prog
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by prog »

All awesome songs mentioned here. Endorse.

Silent Running has a creepy vibe. I remember listening a lot to it when Independence Day came out and assumed the lyrics were about an alien invasion which creeped out my 15 year old brain.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Epic.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Einstein Lawless wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:18 pm Doesn’t he also sing lead in How Long? by Ace?
Epic live version :

https://youtu.be/nJX_VRr4F2M?si=-hfmfwi1tmU9x4GE
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Yes. Best of the three.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Einstein Lawless wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:18 pm

Not sure.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Great songs.

Back in '85-'86, WWF would use songs like "Silent Running" as bumper music; playing it over replays while heading into a commercial break. Those were the times.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Yes he does. Great song, we cover it with one band. Carrack sings couple of other Squeeze songs also than Tempted.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

He’s still in full voice. Living Years a few days ago.

https://youtu.be/J2w_S-5ka04?si=Tek1ZAJ3pje_7vTX
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

I learned the other day that ‘another cup of coffee’ is also by Mike & the mechanics
wildside1969
Opening for Slaughter

Post by wildside1969 »

Hellsinkey wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:35 am

Yes he does. Great song, we cover it with one band. Carrack sings couple of other Squeeze songs also than Tempted.
Paul C only sings lead on 2 Squeeze songs, Tempted and Loving You Tonight.
Venus Flytrap

Post by Venus Flytrap »

Rutherford played his demo for "All I Need Is a Miracle" for Phil Collins before Genesis went on break for their solo projects. Phil loved it and wanted him to hold it for Genesis got back together(which would have been Invisible Touch). Mike stayed with his plan to use it for the Mechanics. Phil has actually played it live if I recall.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:54 pm He’s still in full voice. Living Years a few days ago.

https://youtu.be/J2w_S-5ka04?si=Tek1ZAJ3pje_7vTX

Fuck. Paul Carrack is headlining Royal Albert Hall in 2023?
https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets ... l-carrack/
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Silent Running is complete Cold War-Reagan era goodness.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Was listening to "Silent Running" in the car today. Still great. But the drums are surprisingly tame. Dare I say it, but Phil Collins would've had them booming and jacked up in the mix.
wildside1969
Opening for Slaughter

Post by wildside1969 »

Venus Flytrap wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:57 pm Rutherford played his demo for "All I Need Is a Miracle" for Phil Collins before Genesis went on break for their solo projects. Phil loved it and wanted him to hold it for Genesis got back together(which would have been Invisible Touch). Mike stayed with his plan to use it for the Mechanics. Phil has actually played it live if I recall.
1. At the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary concert on May 14th, 1988 Genesis did a medley of songs and they did about a minute of All I Need Is a Miracle.

2. Phil did sing 2 Mechanics songs in their entirety one time. In July 1989 Eric Clapton put together an all star band he called Band Du Lac and held a benefit concert in Surrey, England. The band included Phil Collins (Vocals, Drums), Mike Rutherford (Guitar), Eric Clapton (Guitar), Steve Winwood (Keyboard), Gary Brooker (Keyboard) and a few others musicians. They did All I Need Is A Miracle and The Living Years in their entirety then did a few songs from Genesis and Phil's Solo albums. Bootlegs exist of the show and some of the performances are on utube, audio only.

3. Phil often sung a small part of All I Need Is A Miracle when he would introduce Mike to the audience at Genesis concerts.
Michael Hotts Ghost
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

He also co wrote "Love Will Keep Us Alive" for the Eagles... probably got a good check for that.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

I've always liked Silent Running.
40oz
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by 40oz »

Very well said. All top shelf songs with excellent vocals. Ans thanks to whoever posted the Royal Albert Hall video. Good stuff!
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Mike + the Mechanics "performing" All I Need is a Miracle on Top of the Pops...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsz3jw6hopA

Paul Carrack is on bass, looking like he's never touched one before. The teenagers in the audience are like movie extras who were told to dance with the music added later in post.