Martin Popoff books

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Martin Popoff books

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Ever read one? Are they good? He has tons of books that look good.

Kind of pricey.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Martin Popoff books

Post by daveg »

Read the BOC one that went through the entire discography.
Had lots of interesting stuff in it, but was obviously done on the cheap. Spelling mistakes..some things out of order.

If you're interested in a subject he has written on you probably will enjoy it.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

For hardore fans only. As noted poorly written, typos, spelling errors, not terribly compelling...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

I’ve got quite a few and really like them all. His writing style is a little different but I like it. He’s kinda non-linear and unconventional but interesting. Always lots of cool rare pictures, lots of interview quotes and it’s usually pretty in depth stuff. He’s a fan first and foremost but it’s not at all amateurish. The books I have are all really good quality prints whether hardcover or soft. I’d totally recommend and don’t understand how anyone wouldn’t like them.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

I love Martin Popoff's books, especially the Rush illustrated history book, his Big Book of Hair Metal, and Fade to Black: Hard Rock Cover Art For the Vinyl Age. Nicely written stuff.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
jaxjaguar
Forming a Band

Post by jaxjaguar »

I have his 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s album review books. He reviews his record collection by decade, often to some humorous write ups and 1-10 ratings. As someone said earlier, he’s unconventional but gets his point across in unique ways. Worth the money IMHO.
ALMOSTsaved
Headlining Clubs

Post by ALMOSTsaved »

He occasionally does album rankings with Pete Pardo on Pete's Sea Of Tranquility YouTube channel.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

He’s often more like an enthusiastic fan with a word processor than an author. I have his three Lizzy books, they’re just okay. Padded out with a lot of low res pictures he’s downloaded from the internet.

His Whitesnake one (Sail Away) was pretty good.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

$39 on his site. Seems high.

Maybe I’ll get one of his Dio books.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I disagree with his musical opinions on just about everything so I’d say no, save your money. Comes across as the average know it all on the Steve Hoffman forums, just trying to make a buck.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

His review books are great, I've got all of them except the 70s book. I read his Day-to-day on Mötley, but not anything else.
Psychobolia.com
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

daveg wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:13 pm Read the BOC one that went through the entire discography.
Had lots of interesting stuff in it, but was obviously done on the cheap. Spelling mistakes..some things out of order.
I have it...it was interesting, but it was also a tedious read, a bit too much detail in some parts, boring details...

If anyone is passing through Paris and wants my book, it's yours!
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Everyone saying he's great, do you actually ever read real books? Cause this dude is a straight up hack...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Zander
Recording Your Demo

Post by Zander »

I have the Maiden one where he goes through each of their records with various people, like Matt Heafy and Chris Jericho. Pretty unconventional structure, but it was pretty enjoyable.. Definitely not as bad as Joel McIver.
In Finland we have this thing called "Reilu Meininki".
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:49 am Everyone saying he's great, do you actually ever read real books? Cause this dude is a straight up hack...

Explain why he is a hack.
Last edited by Wednesday 13 Fan on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:54 pm $39 on his site. Seems high.

Maybe I’ll get one of his Dio books.
They were $9.95 3 years ago
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Doesn't that Charles Bukaki guy own a library? Maybe he has it and you can just steal it or something.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

He succeeds in butthurting all those who disagree with his subjective takes. I like that.

"His opinion is absolutely WRONG! :evil: "

Why is he wrong?

"Because my opinion is RIGHT!"
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

Nate S Axel wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:02 pm Doesn't that Charles Bukaki guy own a library? Maybe he has it and you can just steal it or something.
hahah, I don't have any Popoff books. I bought one of his Rush books for a buddy who's a fanatic, and flipped through it and wasn't impressed so I never bothered with any of his other books.
krisholmes
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by krisholmes »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:08 pm Ever read one? Are they good? He has tons of books that look good.

Kind of pricey.
Yeah, somehow I've managed to get about a third of his books, because he writes about the bands I like, and that no one else seems to write books about: Accept, Deep Purple's non mk. II line-ups, Scorpions, Whitesnake, Mercyful Fate etc.

If you can get your hands on "Black Sabbath - Doom Let Loose" [2006] and "Judas Priest - Heavy Metal Painkillers" [2007], and in general his larger format books, you'll get something nice... His smaller books tend to get a bit samey, as they are all built up in the way: 1) a little pre-history, 2) the albums gone through chronologically 3) the future of the band.

As for his prices, they do include shipping, and he signs everything unless you tell him not to.
Demon Kogure
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Demon Kogure »

krisholmes wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:54 pm he writes about the bands I like, and that no one else seems to write books about: Accept, Deep Purple's non mk. II line-ups, Scorpions, Whitesnake, Mercyful Fate etc.
I've got two Popoff books, and I appreciate them for this reason.

I do admire the guy's ability to produce so much work, but you can tell that he just plows through and cranks them out without thinking too much about structure and organization. They read like he sat down at his keyboard and started typing until he ran out of stuff to say, and couldn't be bothered to look back at it for redundancies or typos because he's got another dozen books to write before the end of the month
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

I've got one of his Van Halen books. Found it cheap on ebay, wasn't gonna pay the ridiculous prices on his website and was glad I didn't. I looked at it once, probably won't again. As some have said, it looked like he just scoured the internet for photos of stuff like single artwork, promo pics, magazine ads, etc... not sure how he avoids copyright laws? He cranks out several books a year so it's definitely a quantity thing over quality. I'm sure he makes a pretty good living off these and he probably has 100 different books about various bands.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

At approximately 7900 (with over 7000 appearing in his books), Martin has unofficially written more record reviews than anybody in the history of music writing across all genres. Additionally, Martin has penned 75 books on hard rock, heavy metal, classic rock and record collecting. He was Editor in Chief of the now retired Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, Canada’s foremost heavy metal publication in print for fourteen years, and has also contributed to Revolver, Guitar World, Goldmine, Record Collector, bravewords.com, lollipop.com and hardradio.com. Martin has been a regular contractor to Banger Films, having worked on the award-winning documentary Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, the eleven-episode Metal Evolution, and the ten-episode Rock Icons, both for VH1 Classic.
wickedsensation

Post by wickedsensation »

I bought his eBook about Dokken’s Tooth and Nail album and it was great. Of course, it only cost $1 and was 30 pages, so that obviously made it a good value.
uptheass wrote:the best ownings are yet to come
Itwalksamongus wrote:We were young and dumb and full of cum so we would take turns in the back of the van jacking each other off. It wasn't gay - it was out of necessity. Things were a lot different back then.
King_Nothing
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by King_Nothing »

I have his Dio, Accept, Mercyful Fate, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath discography books and love them. Lots of band member comments on each release. I also have the 80's, 90's and 00's review books. As stated, he has a unique writing style and if you read enough of his reviews you are probably going to love and hate him.