Judas Priest - New album info leaked? Invincible Shield - March 8, 2024

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Judas Priest - New album info leaked? Invincible Shield - March 8, 2024

Post by HueyRamone »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:19 am
Charles Bukaki wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:05 pm
Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:17 am So it’s ok for Glenn to turn up when he feels like but not Ken, but it’s ok for the balding producer to play- who hardly no one knows -growing out what hair he has left? Not buying this album, fuck all this old age- playground bullshit. I’ll stream it at best.
It's absolutely okay for Glenn to turn up whenever he can, he never left the band like Downing did, he just stepped down from touring. They were very clear about that from the start. Sneap's their producer and fill in guitarist. Maybe they should have asked Downing back, maybe not, but his quitting the band was a completely different circumstance than Tipton being forced to take a backseat because of his health.
Yes, AND, apparently KK was a total pain in the ass to deal with at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
A freind knows Gary Holt, who went (I think) and said they were yelling at each other there! If you have any info, let's hear it.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs-6tVha-pg

The Possessed by Metal guy has heard Panic Attack and gives it a very vivid and detailed description in the video above.

Spoiler: He compares it to the title tracks of Firepower and Painkiller, and also mentions Lightning Strike so you get an idea what kind of song it is.
Guess it's part of the Priest formula, starting with Tyrant and Sinner way back, but those songs haven't been my favorites after Freewheel Burning.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:45 am
A freind knows Gary Holt, who went (I think) and said they were yelling at each other there! If you have any info, let's hear it.
You know as much as me. I'm just going based on what was posted here, which was the same story.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:46 am Spoiler: He compares it to the title tracks of Firepower and Painkiller, and also mentions Lightning Strike so you get an idea what kind of song it is.
I could have told you that without even listening to the new song. Same old cliche Painkiller wannabe stuff they’ve done for decades. Talk about being stuck in the same groove. It’s like Maiden rewriting Fear of the Dark for thirty years.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:51 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:46 am Spoiler: He compares it to the title tracks of Firepower and Painkiller, and also mentions Lightning Strike so you get an idea what kind of song it is.
I could have told you that without even listening to the new song. Same old cliche Painkiller wannabe stuff they’ve done for decades. Talk about being stuck in the same groove. It’s like Maiden rewriting Fear of the Dark for thirty years.
True, until Painkiller they never made the same album twice, not even SFV > DOTF are that close. After that they went full AC/DC. Every album not named Nostradamus sounds more or less like Painkiller.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

https://streamable.com/1cw3rk?src=player-page-share

Thursday night and the Priest is back - are you ready for some Priest style heavy metal, ready for some British Steel?
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:36 am https://streamable.com/1cw3rk?src=player-page-share

Thursday night and the Priest is back - are you ready for some Priest style heavy metal, ready for some British Steel?
Thank you! If you ever need a kidney or anything, I got your back.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

I really am old

Priest is by far and away my favorite band... and I couldnt even be bothered to listen to the whole thing.
Maybe the quality and lack of innovation of the song has something to do with it?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Sounds like a generic "metal" band. The guitars sound like everyone else, the drums sound like everyone else. It's just meh. And I kinda liked the last one
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:29 pm I really am old

Priest is by far and away my favorite band... and I couldnt even be bothered to listen to the whole thing.
Maybe the quality and lack of innovation of the song has something to do with it?
Maybe. I wasn't too impressed either, but I didn't like the title track and Lightning Strike either and those were the first two tracks we heard off Firepower.
There's still hope for the album.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:57 pm Sounds like a generic "metal" band. The guitars sound like everyone else, the drums sound like everyone else. It's just meh. And I kinda liked the last one
Agreed. Nothing to get excited about.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Maybe I'm just weird, but I thought Redeemer of Souls and Firepower were both fantastic, and if the rest of the album sounds like Panic Attack, I'm all in.

If you compare the last 5 Judas Priest albums to the last 5 Iron Maiden albums, the only time Priest came out worse was with Nostradamus, and even then, A Matter of Life and Death wasn't much better.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
The Sacred Cowman
Headlining Clubs

Post by The Sacred Cowman »

Overall, I like it. 8 out of 10. The intro is unnecessarily long and doesn't grab your attention, and the song would be better off without 2 bridges. But it has a Painkiller feel, Rob Halford sounds better than I expected and the guitars and drums sound really good. Had they simplified this song and cut it to 3 minutes, it would've been better.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Intro was the best part about it! Rest was paint by numbers Painkiller stuff, who needs that.

No way Glenn played either of those solos either, he can barely play the riff to Breakin The Law now, poor bastard.
VicStelly
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by VicStelly »

I thought it was pretty great. It could use a good edit though.

Kk Clone and Sneap have been good.
the_man_incognito
Headlining Clubs

Post by the_man_incognito »

The music is what I would expect from a new Priest song...bit lyrics are HORRENDOUS...
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Wait till you hear track seven, holy fuck.

In the neon night, where the rumors ignite,
There's a place we go, where they rock it so tight,
Metal Sludge, the gossip's like a wildfire,
Hair metal legends, sparks flying higher.

They're typing away, in the dead of the night,
Rumors and tales, it's a hell of a fight,
Hair metal secrets, they'll never let go,
On the Metal Sludge board, where legends unfold.

Metal Sludge, where the hair flies high,
Guitar licks sharp, and the rumors don't lie,
In a world of glam, where the glamsters unite,
Metal Sludge, yeah, it's one wild night.

Skid Row's secrets and Poison's confessions,
Metal Sludge board, full of wild obsessions,
From Motley's tales to Warrant's wild ride,
It's all on display, nowhere left to hide.

They're typing away, in the dead of the night,
Rumors and tales, it's a hell of a fight,
Hair metal secrets, they'll never let go,
On the Metal Sludge board, where legends unfold.

From the Sunset Strip to the Hollywood lights,
Metal Sludge's where the magic ignites,
Guitar solos blazing, with leather and lace,
Hair metal heaven, in this virtual space.

Whitesnake's whispers and Ratt's twisted tales,
On the Sludge board, the truth often prevails,
Cinderella's secrets and Twisted Sister's cries,
It's all here in pixels, under the neon skies.

So here's to the Sludge, where legends survive,
Where hair metal secrets will always thrive,
In the world of rock, it's a glorious sight,
Metal Sludge, where we suck dicks all night!
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Those lyrics are probably not Priest's, more like Artificial Stupidity.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Partial track listing based on pics on various sites.

Panic Attack
The Serpent and the King
Invincible Shield
Devil In Disguise
Gates of Hell
As God Is My Witness
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Does anyone here understand why Priest seems to think Painkiller is their best and most popular album ever?
Every new album they seem to want to re-create it.
Reality is Painkiller did not sell well at all and mostly was an attempt to sound like the metal bands that were becoming popular then. To me it just sounded like German power metal and all their new albums do too.
Wish theyd stick to their original sound where every album was different, but original.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Seems silly to release info when it’s 6 months away from release
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:34 am Seems silly to release info when it’s 6 months away from release
Ya, that is so far off. I guess they felt like Power Trip was a good place to announce it, but 6 months away is an eternity. How could they have artwork and all the songs with titles written, but still be that far away from release. In the old days I'll bet in 6 months time they could go from having absolutely nothing written to a complete album out on the shelves.

All that being said...God bless these gentlemen for still putting out metal music. It's a shame Glenn & K.K. aren't the guitarists any longer. They were a legendary combination. Faulkner is as good a replacement as they could've found though. Since Ritchie he is George Lynch's son in law it's too bad they couldn't get Lynch in there instead of Sneap.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:24 am Does anyone here understand why Priest seems to think Painkiller is their best and most popular album ever?
Reality is Painkiller did not sell well at all and mostly was an attempt to sound like the metal bands that were becoming popular then. To me it just sounded like German power metal and all their new albums do too.
Wish theyd stick to their original sound where every album was different, but original.
Painkiller bombed commercially and barely sold more than Ram It Down, but it was much better received by fans and at least the first part of the tour was well attended. Then I think the addition of Scott Travis may have something to do with it, I think he's boring and the wrong drummer for Priest, but the band seems to love playing with him and the drum intro to Painkiller is the most iconic part on that album.

Trivia: Les Binks, Dave Holland and Scott Travis all got a drum intro to kick off the first song on their first studio album with Priest. Binks - Exciter on Stained Class, Holland - Rapid Fire on British Steel and Travis - Painkiller. Some 80s vinyls have Breaking the Law as the first song on BS, but the 1st pressing and the CD has Rapid Fire....
the_man_incognito
Headlining Clubs

Post by the_man_incognito »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:24 am Does anyone here understand why Priest seems to think Painkiller is their best and most popular album ever?
My thought exactly...their 70s material was so diverse and interesting (music and lyrics)...then they just fell into that 'metal' groove and just stayed there...up through Defenders i think they had some really interesting songs (and hit and miss). Then the Turbo turd...then as someone pointed out, Rob just started writing in the 'Metal God' character from RID on...
And I was excited when KK was going to release the first KK's Priest album....when I heard Les was drumming, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to come out with something more diverse like Stained Class with more classic rock/early metal feeling songs...but...no...he is basically milking the Painkiller formula because he things that's what true metal fans want....
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

I sort of think that for current Priest- the Painkiller formula is actually the way to go, in a way. At least for the lead off single. They dont want to be seen as old and crusty, unable to keep up with the youngs.

Other than that, it's a bit unfair to say they just always do Painkiller now. Firepower (the song) is like that, sure, but Never the Heroes wasnt. Rising From Ruins wasnt, others on there, too. While they werent throwbacks to british steel, they also werent blazing and overly heavy. (KKs priest, IS all Painkiller/Jugulator etc, tho)

As far as Painkiller not doing more than Ram it Down, there's another way to look at it. Yes, album sales didnt improve much (and prolly caused Rob to pack it in), but if they'd done another generic RID, they prolly woulda gone to 250K sales. Just keeping the machine moving at gold when the scene was changing more and more is decent, you can always go less.

I think the tour did good, too. The staging was great, compared to RID. It was Operation RnR that suffered, not the Painkiller tour. Arena I went to was packed and the fans were going cray. Not sure how it was elsewhere.

Finally, apart from sales, there is value to releasing a product that is critically praised and fan praised. Painkiller has a following and legacy that dwarfs RID.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

SFV is their highest selling album (four times what Painkiller did). They should replicate that, not the braindead thrash wannabe stuff on Painkiller. Hate Scott Travis’ playing as well.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:57 pm SFV is their highest selling album (four times what Painkiller did). They should replicate that, not the braindead thrash wannabe stuff on Painkiller. Hate Scott Travis’ playing as well.
Also, SFV is more timeless. Painkiller sounded dated already when it came out, it was such an obvious attempt to follow Metallica and even more so bands like Testament and Overkill who were expected to be the next big thing in 1990. Grunge destroyed hair metal, but it derailed thrash just as much or maybe more. Metallica and Megadeth's 90s success makes it less obvious, but their big albums came out just before peak grunge and kept selling mostly thanks to hit ballads. Foreclosure of a Dream may be forgotten now but it was Megadeth's first US charting single hitting #30, just one position below the "big hit" the title track from Countdown to Extinction.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Painkiller is what Revenge and COS was to KISS and No Prayer for the Dying was to Maiden. A desperate attempt at remaining relevant. And the rapper on the first song of Black Sabbath Forbidden.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:15 am And the rapper on the first song of Black Sabbath Forbidden.
haha, I'm listening to Ice-T as I read this!
jens

Post by jens »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:15 am Painkiller is what Revenge and COS was to KISS and No Prayer for the Dying was to Maiden. A desperate attempt at remaining relevant. And the rapper on the first song of Black Sabbath Forbidden.
BIG difference: in 2023 Painkiller is viewed as one of Priest's classics, while your other examples never feature in the top lists.
LastFM has it just behind British Steel steel as the most popular album.
https://www.last.fm/music/Judas+Priest/ ... st_popular