Original Chicago killing it in 1974

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Original Chicago killing it in 1974

Post by ParaDime77 »

“Old Days” 74/745 New Years Eve Special

https://youtu.be/Knvn4-CSji0?si=58XYpAt40sqcmJB8

Everyone completely locked in, congas fully mic’s up in the half times section. Danny Seraphine absolutely crushing it on the drums.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
DevastatinDave
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Original Chicago killing it in 1974

Post by DevastatinDave »

I love that band. Before Kath killed himself, before David Foster convinced a chubby bass player that he was the star of the band, and before the horn players decided Seraphine couldn’t play anymore.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

DevastatinDave wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:57 am I love that band. Before Kath killed himself, before David Foster convinced a chubby bass player that he was the star of the band, and before the horn players decided Seraphine couldn’t play anymore.
WTF was the point of that anyway? On the docu they cooked up some BS about him not being able to play to a click, but I think it was to cut another original member out of the band to stretch dwindling revenues.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BiggusDickus
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by BiggusDickus »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:40 pm
DevastatinDave wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:57 am I love that band. Before Kath killed himself, before David Foster convinced a chubby bass player that he was the star of the band, and before the horn players decided Seraphine couldn’t play anymore.
WTF was the point of that anyway? On the docu they cooked up some BS about him not being able to play to a click, but I think it was to cut another original member out of the band to stretch dwindling revenues.
That docu is full of BS. Percussionist Laudir de Oliveira is completely ignored. His name is not even mentioned.
LurkingAtWork
Recording Your Demo

Post by LurkingAtWork »

BiggusDickus wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:56 pm That docu is full of BS. Percussionist Laudir de Oliveira is completely ignored. His name is not even mentioned.
All that documentary did was make me dislike Loughnane and Pankow.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Call on Me is classic and I love it. I saw Chicago with my parents a few months ago. Enjoyed beers and some of the hits I knew!
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

They’re ok. I know some of the hits. Never liked the old easy listening music.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Chicago has the weirdest history. Going from the horn thing to the soft rock thing and back again (although it's not like they stopped chasing the big hit ballad while still recording original material).

I found it odd that David Foster was so tight with Peter Cetera, but then produced one more Chicago album after Cetera left.

The guitarist shooting himself in front of roadie as a joke... crazy.

Then they went through the trouble to number virtually all their albums with variations on the logo as the cover, making ONE exception for this piece of shit...

Awful photo. Everyone looks bad, stupid or gay. The title "Hot Streets" sucks and doesn't mean anything. This... is what they broke tradition for?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

^^^ Forgot to mention the odd success of "Look Away," which has to be the least familiar #1 single of the '80s. And not only that, but Billboard named it the #1 song of the year. Just strange. Even the video is dull and unremarkable. Band is barely in it.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Yeah, this was back when Chicago went full orchestra before they switched it up to their 80's AOR-lite era. Both versions of the band have plenty of great songs.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

The band has openly admitted through the years that “Hot Streets” was a mediocre effort and it did not make the Top 10. The band was without Kath and struggling for direction ,not to mention being completely burnt out and on drugs. “Alive Again” and “No Tell Lover” were the 2 main hits.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

I love Chicago!
Saw them 5 or 6 years ago, with REO Speedwagon. It was a great show!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:04 pm ^^^ Forgot to mention the odd success of "Look Away," which has to be the least familiar #1 single of the '80s. And not only that, but Billboard named it the #1 song of the year. Just strange. Even the video is dull and unremarkable. Band is barely in it.
Not to mention that Look Away was 1st offered to Cheap Trick for their comeback album, but they turned it down for The Flame.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DevastatinDave

Post by DevastatinDave »

LurkingAtWork wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:23 pm
BiggusDickus wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:56 pm That docu is full of BS. Percussionist Laudir de Oliveira is completely ignored. His name is not even mentioned.
All that documentary did was make me dislike Loughnane and Pankow.
This and the other quoted comments. If you haven’t seen the Terry Kath documentary, go find it. It’s by his daughter. It does have Cetera, but doesn’t change my opinion of him. But isn’t the “commercial” for the other guys.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

"Killing it"........ :roll:
They were always limp elevator muzak.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Really like that clip. They were really solid - a few good albums, some timeless songs, and a reputation as a great live band - until Kath died.

Peter Cetera was an essential part of the band for Chicago's classic years, plus got them a few monster hits in the early 80s when they turned into a pop band and he kind of took over, but his solo career was bland as fuck and never did anything for me.

Chicago was done as a relevant recording act after he left, but I've heard good things about them live, even recently.
parasite74
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by parasite74 »

ParaDime77 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:43 pm “Old Days” 74/745 New Years Eve Special

https://youtu.be/Knvn4-CSji0?si=58XYpAt40sqcmJB8

Everyone completely locked in, congas fully mic’s up in the half times section. Danny Seraphine absolutely crushing it on the drums.
😎😎😎😎
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Chicago”Street Player” Saturday Night Live 11/3/1979 Audio Only

Terry Kath or not, band sounds great. Sad to see Donnie Dacus footage removed.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

Absolutely love classic Chicago.

The early 80s Foster era stuff with Cetera is still great stuff too.

Cetera leaving was it for me though, they were a shadow of themselves after that. That voice really was special.

I'd always hoped for a Cetera reunion, but that's not going to happen.

I love the music, but have no interest in seeing what tours as Chicago now. I'd prefer to see Seraphine's version if it ever came to town just because.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

NeonKnite wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:00 pm Absolutely love classic Chicago.

The early 80s Foster era stuff with Cetera is still great stuff too.

Cetera leaving was it for me though, they were a shadow of themselves after that. That voice really was special.

I'd always hoped for a Cetera reunion, but that's not going to happen.

I love the music, but have no interest in seeing what tours as Chicago now. I'd prefer to see Seraphine's version if it ever came to town just because.
Does "Leonid and Friends" ever play around your area? If so, you might like them. For those who don't know, they are out of Moscow & started as a classic era "Chicago" cover band, but have since started to include other classic 70's songs to their set.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

tooth wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:14 pm Does "Leonid and Friends" ever play around your area? If so, you might like them. For those who don't know, they are out of Moscow & started as a classic era "Chicago" cover band, but have since started to include other classic 70's songs to their set.
I've seen the videos and they are really cool. I have never heard of them playing near me but would consider going if they did.