KISS Alive III in Detroit (Uncut)

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Re: KISS Alive III in Detroit (Uncut)

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Bruce and Todd just played the entire Alive III album last week at a benefit or something.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

I bet the 85 people in the audience really liked it.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

killdrum wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:22 pm
ParaDime77 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:22 pm He’s absolutely MASHING here, huge drummer sound. Without singer at this juncture, this band was absolute toast in the early 90s. Forever was long gone by then.

https://youtu.be/l7waCOgmedc?si=pcbm0UdrcNv5ZpWh
Agreed. Singer was killing it back then. For some reason when he put on the makeup he toned down. Less energy and simplified his playing(less kick triplets and fills). Maybe the bosses told him to reel it in. :D
Eric Singer has addressed this. When he was asked to return in makeup, he decided to play the songs like the studio versions. He didn't want to hot rod them like he did on the "Revenge" tour.

One thing to note is that Eric had been covering for Paul vocally from 2004 through 2018 (prior to the "End Of The Road" tour). Tommy, too. Eric's vocals became important just like his drumming. Keep the drumming like on the lps so that he could sing the backgrounds and harmonies properly.

Paul and Gene didn't tell him to tone it down. Eric Singer made that decision.

I forget when this happened, but Eric was going through some tendonitis issues on one of his makeup era tours. Add that as another reason why not to hot rod the drumming.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:40 pm I bet the 85 people in the audience really liked it.
November 27, 1992

Details:
Aurburn Hills (nr. Detroit, MI)
The Palace of Aurburn Hills
Promoter: Belkin Productions / Glass Palace Promotions
Other act(s): Great White, Trixter (opener)
Reported audience: 9,880 **SOLD-OUT
Reported gross: $185,400
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

risingfarce wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:26 pm
ParaDime77 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:22 pm He’s absolutely MASHING here, huge drummer sound. Without singer at this juncture, this band was absolute toast in the early 90s. Forever was long gone by then.

Agreed. Singer was killing it back then. For some reason when he put on the makeup he toned down. Less energy and simplified his playing(less kick triplets and fills). Maybe the bosses told him to reel it in. :D
Eric Singer has addressed this. When he was asked to return in makeup, he decided to play the songs like the studio versions. He didn't want to hot rod them like he did on the "Revenge" tour.

One thing to note is that Eric had been covering for Paul vocally from 2004 through 2018 (prior to the "End Of The Road" tour). Tommy, too. Eric's vocals became important just like his drumming. Keep the drumming like on the lps so that he could sing the backgrounds and harmonies properly.

I forget when this happened, but Eric was going through some tendonitis issues on one of his makeup era tours. Add that as another reason why not to hot rod the drumming.
I read a session drummer (Melvin Valentino maybe?) coached Eric extensively on how to play like Peter.
Paul & Gene wanted him up to that standard if he was going to wear the makeup.
Eric put in much practice learning the back catalog & it shows
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

risingfarce wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:33 pm
BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:40 pm I bet the 85 people in the audience really liked it.
November 27, 1992

Details:
Read the thread fuckwit, I’m talking about the Kulick show last week.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

DangerZone wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:09 pm

I read a session drummer (Melvin Valentino maybe?) coached Eric extensively on how to play like Peter.
Do you mean Kevin Valentine?

There would have been no reason for Eric Singer to be coached. Per Eric Singer, Peter Criss' and Eric Carr's material was never difficult to play.

"Up to that standard"? LOL

Eric Singer has to dummy down when playing Peter's part.

LOL
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

BernieTaupson wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:45 pm
risingfarce wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:33 pm
November 27, 1992

Details:
Read the thread fuckwit, I’m talking about the Kulick show last week.
The thread is about "KISS Alive III in Detroit (Uncut)", cunt.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

risingfarce wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:03 am

There would have been no reason for Eric Singer to be coached. Per Eric Singer, Peter Criss' and Eric Carr's material was never difficult to play.

LOL

All I know is Singer was playing with Kiss on ‘Unplugged’ until Criss got behind the kit. Then it was game over
killdrum
Opening for Slaughter

Post by killdrum »

Ah. That makes sense all the way around. Thx!
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Giving up your identity and assuming another asshole's persona probably sapped the enthusiasm too.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

BernieTaupson wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:35 pm I mean yeah it’s the same song so it’s going to be similar, but there’s no point where you hear a bit and go “yeah that’s it” like for instance watching Peter Jackson’s Get Back and when they play THE take of certain songs you just know it’s the one.

Basic tracks for Alive3 were recorded at soundchecks in Cleveland and Indianapolis.

They had never even played I Still Love You and I Was Made For Lovin You with Eric Singer before that album came out.
There's a DAT from Indy soundcheck that has them going through "ISLY" "IWMFLY" and "Crazy, Crazy Nights" with no vox. I'd love to have that lineup doing "Crazy, Crazy Nights." My guess is that when they decided to not make it a double album, that idea was scrapped.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Gonna have to cite your sources on that one, old man. The band were doing everything to distance themselves from the hair band era and look street and legit at that time.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

BernieTaupson wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:16 pm Gonna have to cite your sources on that one, old man. The band were doing everything to distance themselves from the hair band era and look street and legit at that time.

Not quite everything. Revenge is a hair metal album regardless of what the marketing said at the time. "Tough Love," "Take it Off" and "Everytime I Look at You" = KISS trying to have their cake and eat it too. "Unholy" was a very deceptive lead single, suggesting a sound that never showed up elsewhere on the album.

Don't know if the "Crazy Nights" story is legit, but it makes sense as a bonus track for Europe. They also played "Tears Are Falling" on some dates during that tour.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

BernieTaupson wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:16 pm Gonna have to cite your sources on that one, old man. The band were doing everything to distance themselves from the hair band era and look street and legit at that time.
https://www.kissconcerthistory.com/1992/1992-1129.php
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:23 am

Not quite everything. Revenge is a hair metal album regardless of what the marketing said at the time. "Tough Love," "Take it Off" and "Everytime I Look at You" = KISS trying to have their cake and eat it too. "Unholy" was a very deceptive lead single, suggesting a sound that never showed up elsewhere on the album.
Unholy was like a tree falling in the forest afa the US was concerned. "I Just Wanna" was the 1st track I remember hearing.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

DangerZone wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:17 am
risingfarce wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:03 am

LOL

All I know is Singer was playing with Kiss on ‘Unplugged’ until Criss got behind the kit. Then it was game over
Criss couldn't even keep time on "2000 Man" at the "Unplugged" taping. Paul had to get him back on track.

Do you honestly think Eric Singer, and Bruce for that matter, were fired due to their musical performances?

KISS Co. was not doing well. That's why there was a reunion. It wasn't due to Paul wanting to be in the same band with Peter. Paul can't stand him.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Mister Freeze wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:31 am Giving up your identity and assuming another asshole's persona probably sapped the enthusiasm too.
Nah. Big paycheck. Big gig. No problem.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:35 pm I mean yeah it’s the same song so it’s going to be similar, but there’s no point where you hear a bit and go “yeah that’s it” like for instance watching Peter Jackson’s Get Back and when they play THE take of certain songs you just know it’s the one.

Basic tracks for Alive3 were recorded at soundchecks in Cleveland and Indianapolis.

They had never even played I Still Love You and I Was Made For Lovin You with Eric Singer before that album came out.
I don’t know about ISlY but IWMFLY was played live during the club tour in spring 1992.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Guitarmageddon_VI wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:37 am
ParaDime77 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:22 pm Probably watched the cut version of this hundreds of times after this was release. Have not watched the uncut version. Eric Singer was probably the first drummer I’ve ever seen on a drum cam in the modern era. He’s absolutely MASHING here, huge drummer sound. Without singer at this juncture, this band was absolute toast in the early 90s. Forever was long gone by then.

They were toast even with Singer. Took a reunion to get them back in the spotlight. Been riding that nostalgia train ever since.
This. The band had been toast since 1980. KISS fans wanted old noodle arms litter box and the drunk fat space guy back in band with no exceptions.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:10 am

I don’t know about ISlY but IWMFLY was played live during the club tour in spring 1992.
That's correct. IWMFLY was also part of the UK Revenge tour so that lineup had played IWMFLY a lot.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Noted, forgot they had played IWM.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

risingfarce wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:21 pm Do you honestly think Eric Singer, and Bruce for that matter, were fired due to their musical performances?
I can’t really say as I’m not a drummer.
All I know is, countless people have attested to Peter being trained in jazz drumming and how much more difficult jazz is to play & master than hard rock.

As for Ace & Bruce, from what I’ve seen on recent cruise ship videos they’re about equal.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

DangerZone wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:57 pm
risingfarce wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:21 pm Do you honestly think Eric Singer, and Bruce for that matter, were fired due to their musical performances?
I can’t really say as I’m not a drummer.
All I know is, countless people have attested to Peter being trained in jazz drumming and how much more difficult jazz is to play & master than hard rock.

As for Ace & Bruce, from what I’ve seen on recent cruise ship videos they’re about equal.
LOL

Peter had trouble keeping 4/4 time. "Jazz lesson" money was a waste.

Do you actually think Peter is a jazz drummer?

Do you actually think KISS is a jazz band?

Bruce and Ace equal? Are you fucking kidding? Ace plays like shit. It's been that way for a decade or more. The guy has hearing lose. He can't sing and play guitar at the same time. His band (actually Gene's band) is carrying him. Never in his life was Ace a better guitarist than Bruce.

You don't have to be a drummer to know that Bruce and Eric Singer were in prime shape in 1995, unlike Ace and Peter.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Man, I fucking hate KIss, but Ace was always better than Bruce.

The only thing that matters about guitar is WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO PLAY, not what you CAN play.

Liiiike, technical ability is meaningless. ACE had the ability to play stuff that I actually know, solos and riffs I remember.

I honestly could not tell you how a single Bruce solo or riff goes. I honestly do not know what is him or any of the other mediocre guitarists Kiss has had..VV, MSJ, Bruce, Frankenhead ~none of them have any distinctive voice on the instrument.

...but it is all moot because as always, Kiss is shite.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

fatscott
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by fatscott »

Blah...blah...blah.......KISS FUCKING SUCKS. Always has, always will.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

This idea that Bruce Kulick didn't have memorable solos is ridiculous.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Sleek wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:45 am Man, I fucking hate KIss, but Ace was always better than Bruce.

The only thing that matters about guitar is WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO PLAY, not what you CAN play.

Liiiike, technical ability is meaningless. ACE had the ability to play stuff that I actually know, solos and riffs I remember.

I honestly could not tell you how a single Bruce solo or riff goes. I honestly do not know what is him or any of the other mediocre guitarists Kiss has had..VV, MSJ, Bruce, Frankenhead ~none of them have any distinctive voice on the instrument.

...but it is all moot because as always, Kiss is shite.
Q--Tips. Use them.

Go listen to Adam Lambert. That's more your speed.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:04 pm This idea that Bruce Kulick didn't have memorable solos is ridiculous.

"Forever"

"Tears Are Falling"

"I Will Be There"

"I Walk Alone"

"Crazy Crazy Nights"

"King Of The Mountain"

"Reason To Live"

"God Gave Rock And Roll To You"

"Unholy"

"Spit"

"Every Time I Look At You" (from "Unplugged")

"Hate"

"Jungle"