Power Trip Concert Review. Concession prices, ride sharing mishaps and band's reviews.

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

vernomatic
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Power Trip Concert Review. Concession prices, ride sharing mishaps and band's reviews.

Post by vernomatic »

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2HQzAl ... cd650d4d27

https://youtu.be/6JVTqBzS09A?si=19kLMYAYjSj3NFhK

On this episode, we present a firsthand account of the highly anticipated POWER TRIP festival that took place in Indio, CA on the weekend of 06-08 Oct, 2023. Metal Mayhem ROC friend & contributor, Mike Dadura (a native of Philadelphia, PA), who was in attendance for the 3-day event, brings to us an in-depth & revealing recap of the full weekend. POWERTRIP featured Guns N’ Roses and Iron Maiden (Friday, October 6), AC/DC and Judas Priest (Saturday, October 7) and Metallica and Tool (Sunday, October 8).

Mike shares all of the details- flying from the east coast to California, his accommodations, ride sharing mishaps, concession pricing and excessive logistic hurdles. We get the scoop on the venue setup & the challenges of maneuvering through an area that contained 200,000 plus attendees. We hear all about the bands & the performances themselves, with Mike illustrating the highlights & lowlights of each of the bands based on what he saw & heard. And coming off of the concert stage, we hear about many of our Metal heroes hanging around to watch & support one another from the perspective of being a fan, and we get the low-down on the makeshift AC/DC bar that was a focal point for the weekend in a nearby town.
Another example of a great, unique, conversation filled with in-depth anecdotes and disclosures found only here at Metal Mayhem ROC.

Thank you for the support and remember to always KEEP IT HEAVY

Visit the website and join the Metal mayhem ROC community. Sign up for our weekly newsletter keeping you updated on all new podcast episodes as well as reminders for our live Radio show on Monday nights.

METAL MAYHEM ROC SOCIALS:

https://metalmayhemroc.com/
https://metaldevastationradio.com/
http://pantheonpodcasts.com/
https://twitter.com/MetalmayhemR
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Y8gR ... WwyLBfIHOA
https://www.instagram.com/metalmayhemroc/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/metalmayhemroc
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Power Trip Concert Review. Concession prices, ride sharing mishaps and band's reviews.

Post by LAglamrocker »

Well that was garbage no info
Nobody wants listen to stupid podcast

keep it heavy …how stupid
Guess you want be surrounded by 200,000 well 60,000
that paid or got free 3day passes- old tired rockers
You should review Stagecoach
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
vernomatic

Re: Power Trip Concert Review. Concession prices, ride sharing mishaps and band's reviews.

Post by vernomatic »

LAglamrocker wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:39 pm Well that was garbage no info

Well Thank you for checking out our product. Appreciate the constructive criticism. There actually was a bit of info in this episode. And The KEEP IT HEAVY tagline is awesome.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

What product? Never pressed YouTube play :lol:

Keep it silent..better for your “product”
djwill665
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by djwill665 »

double post*
Last edited by djwill665 on Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
djwill665
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by djwill665 »

<the challenges of maneuvering through an area that contained 200,000 plus attendees.>

Attendance was NOT 200k. All 3 nights combined. Total fabrication.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

djwill665 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:25 am
<the challenges of maneuvering through an area that contained 200,000 plus attendees.>

Attendance was NOT 200k. All 3 nights combined. Total fabrication.
Not crowded at all in GA night 3
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Best was when some scab in Misfits announced playing to 135000 at Aftershock few years ago..that was maybe the 4 day attendance on steroids

Maybe 10000 saw Misfits that night..3 other stages had bands going on including the Main Stage

200,000 bottles of water sold at 15$ for Power Trip..I believe that :!:

Hard to believe everyone didn’t fly home after Tool sleeping pill
IREEKOFAWESUMNES
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by IREEKOFAWESUMNES »

WATERS WERE $2 AT POWER TRIP BUD
metalslayer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by metalslayer »

vernomatic wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:02 pm

Well Thank you for checking out our product. Appreciate the constructive criticism. There actually was a bit of info in this episode. And The KEEP IT HEAVY tagline is awesome.
I am into “heavy” music and I only let friends and loved ones in on this on a need to know basis. If you are over 18 and you think “keep it heavy” is bad ass, I am not sure what to say.

Some people get a pass…. For instance Eric Rutan of many legendary death metal projects might say “keep it heavy”, but he has earned it…. He creates music in that scene.

Some McDonalds eating obese subhuman has no right to fly this flag. Not trying to paint with a broad brush here, but I have seen the followers of the “heavy” bands that I enjoy.

Usually I have sympathy for idiots that yell such nonsense as “keep it heavy”, but not today my diabetic balding friend
vernomatic

Post by vernomatic »

metalslayer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:17 pm

I am into “heavy” music and I only let friends and loved ones in on this on a need to know basis. If you are over 18 and you think “keep it heavy” is bad ass, I am not sure what to say.

Some people get a pass…. For instance Eric Rutan of many legendary death metal projects might say “keep it heavy”, but he has earned it…. He creates music in that scene.

Some McDonalds eating obese subhuman has no right to fly this flag. Not trying to paint with a broad brush here, but I have seen the followers of the “heavy” bands that I enjoy.

Usually I have sympathy for idiots that yell such nonsense as “keep it heavy”, but not today my diabetic balding friend
It's a tagline . " HEAVY" doesn't mean obnoxious squiggly line bands. That's not our angle, Its the celebration of harder rock and metal music. Well ill make sure to ask Kirk Hammett tomorrow when we interview him as to what the attendance was for the festival.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Legend.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Any person going to ANY event of this magnitude, and being shocked at costs, long lines and the all around crazy logistics is an absolute asshole.

Never-mind 200,000 people... anything beyond an arena, is a "F#@k that" for me. Even 50-60k per day, is going to be a nightmare to deal with.

Also, when these events are held in the middle of nowhere, in a field, etc... which is usually the case, you are now 30-40 or 80 miles from the major city, its transportation hubs like trains, subways, etc... and it's going to be a mess pure and simple.

I listened to a little bit of this podcast int with this guy who went... and him saying he was perplexed by the low number of Uber or Lyft drivers, paying $57 for tacos and beer, the long lines, long walks, getting here, going there, etc... all should be expected and predicted... unless of course you are living in fantasy-land.

A few notes...

Indio is 127 miles, or 2+ hours SW of Los Angeles, in truth, more like 3-4 hours with traffic.

It's also 75 miles from RIverside, which appears to be the biggest city closest to it.

Indio California has a population of 90,000 people, that is smaller than Green Bay Wisconsin.

While Lambeau Field has a capacity of 82,000, and the population in Green Bay is just over 100k, the difference is, they do this 10-12 weekends per year. And have been doing so, gradually building up to this over 60+ years.

The problem with Indio is, they don't have a Power Trip every week, or every year... and most of that staging, equipment, and those who set it up, run it, and tear it down, don't live there, or reside anywhere close either. Most of the staff were likely sucking up the local hotels, motels, and ride-share services too.

The infrastructure of a city this size, is not really able to handle the incoming of 70-80 or 100,000 people... and it's not just the fans, but thousands of related crew, staff and vendors.

In the end... total sh!t show... and not a ounce of sympathy should be felt for anyone who has the smallest complaint.

$tEvil
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:30 am Any person going to ANY event of this magnitude, and being shocked at costs, long lines and the all around crazy logistics is an absolute asshole.

100% this.

You go to one of these things and complain.... You really are an idiot. I'm not counting the people who went to Blue Ridge or any other of those cluster F festivals. Most of those people seemed to be complaining about sanitation and safety. I will listen to those people, but the majority of huge festivals that have been around for a while are just fine.

I love going to these big festivals. I also don't mind standing in a field of mud all day with idiots all around. It's the people who show up wanting to get pissed drunk, then complain about the price, and the long lines for the bathrooms that cause most of the problems

Bring a few empty water bottles to fill, some sunscreen, have a beer or 2 (not 30) , don't be a bitch and your day will be just fine.

Oh, and there are 50K people leaving at the same time as you. Relax in the parking lot, they all want to get home just the same.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

The show didn't start until almost 7. You don't have to eat there. One of my secrets to being able to afford so many events is not showing up hungry. I mean there was never a time when eating and drinking wasn't expensive and getting in and out of major events didn't involve a traffic jam.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

People complaining about anything related at these type of events, are the same people bitching about the Mall during the Holidays.

"OMG, there was NO parking and everything was crazy with lines 50 people deep!"

F#@K directly off!!!!!

My kid's Mom is kinda like this... she pulls into any shopping place and drives right to the front, and wonders why she cannot get a spot to park! :roll:

I am like the complete opposite... when I enter any parking lot, I take the first spot I see, which is usually the furthest from the door, and then I walk 60 seconds to the entry.

She is also blown away at the traffic at 5:00pm on the freeways... even though she drives home the same time daily. Silly!

$tEvil
IREEKOFAWESUMNES
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by IREEKOFAWESUMNES »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:53 am People complaining about anything related at these type of events, are the same people bitching about the Mall during the Holidays.

F#@K directly off!!!!!

My kid's Mom is kinda like this... she pulls into any shopping place and drives right to the front, and wonders why she cannot get a spot to park! :roll:

I am like the complete opposite... when I enter any parking lot, I take the first spot I see, which is usually the furthest from the door, and then I walk 60 seconds to the entry.

She is also blown away at the traffic at 5:00pm on the freeways... even though she drives home the same time daily. Silly!

$tEvil

sounds like u came inside a real winner...i agree 100% on the retards acting surprised at this sort of thing at shows though
metalslayer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by metalslayer »

vernomatic wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:57 pm
metalslayer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:17 pm

It's a tagline . " HEAVY" doesn't mean obnoxious squiggly line bands. That's not our angle, Its the celebration of harder rock and metal music. Well ill make sure to ask Kirk Hammett tomorrow when we interview him as to what the attendance was for the festival.
Enjoy Kirk’s “heavy” load all over your face you McDonald’s slurping loser
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

IREEKOFAWESUMNES wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:17 pm
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:53 am People complaining about anything related at these type of events, are the same people bitching about the Mall during the Holidays.

F#@K directly off!!!!!

$tEvil

sounds like u came inside a real winner...i agree 100% on the retards acting surprised at this sort of thing at shows though

""""""""sounds like u came inside a real winner.""""""""

I am going to pretend you didn't just type this on my board.

$tEvil
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Festivals are for teenagers, man.

Going to a music festival where everyone’s over 50 would be depressing as hell.

Seeing GNR play for over three hours when they got back together was exhausting. Who wants to watch bands for eight to ten hours three days in a row? Fuck that. :lol:
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:30 am The problem with Indio is, they don't have a Power Trip every week, or every year... and most of that staging, equipment, and those who set it up, run it, and tear it down, don't live there, or reside anywhere close either. Most of the staff were likely sucking up the local hotels, motels, and ride-share services too.

The infrastructure of a city this size, is not really able to handle the incoming of 70-80 or 100,000 people... and it's not just the fans, but thousands of related crew, staff and vendors.
Glastonbury Festival manages this year after year, where access for bands, crew and audience is through relatively minor country roads. Granted they've been doing it +50 years, but the roads haven't changed much. I suggest it goes back to a comment on a recent thread on US vs Euro festivals and why the former often go wrong: Europe tends to start with "let's plan a festival then see who we can get" vs the US announcing "we're gonna put on X, Y and Z artists on this date", then thinking about how to make it work.
AlexVonHaig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by AlexVonHaig »

OMG someone actually takes LAGs bait
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

ijwthstd wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:11 am The show didn't start until almost 7. You don't have to eat there. One of my secrets to being able to afford so many events is not showing up hungry. I mean there was never a time when eating and drinking wasn't expensive and getting in and out of major events didn't involve a traffic jam.
The majority of Americans go there to eat though, the music is just background noise.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

GoodJudge wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:06 am
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:30 am The problem with Indio is, they don't have a Power Trip every week, or every year... and most of that staging, equipment, and those who set it up, run it, and tear it down, don't live there, or reside anywhere close either. Most of the staff were likely sucking up the local hotels, motels, and ride-share services too.

Glastonbury Festival manages this year after year, where access for bands, crew and audience is through relatively minor country roads. Granted they've been doing it +50 years, but the roads haven't changed much. I suggest it goes back to a comment on a recent thread on US vs Euro festivals and why the former often go wrong: Europe tends to start with "let's plan a festival then see who we can get" vs the US announcing "we're gonna put on X, Y and Z artists on this date", then thinking about how to make it work.
The sites where Coachella has been for like 20 years. I’d say it’s as dialed in as much as they want it to be. ( they prolly ain’t losing sleep if parking takes a min to get in and out) It’s not like it’s a first time venue choice by a fly by night promoter.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

F#@K directly off!!!!!

$tEvil
On that note, I do hope she is not one of those morons who sits and waits for a parking spot, whilst the driver in said parking spot has 50 packages to load into their SUV and are clearly taking their fucking time doing it.
Those people need a severe kick in the ass. Both of them . . .

But as you also mentioned, if you go to the mall during Christmas time, don't complain about the fuckery.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

FreddyFender wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:59 pm Festivals are for teenagers, man.

Going to a music festival where everyone’s over 50 would be depressing as hell.

Seeing GNR play for over three hours when they got back together was exhausting. Who wants to watch bands for eight to ten hours three days in a row? Fuck that. :lol:
All of this!

$tEvil
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

My 4 day Aftershock schedule
Wake up 7am get free hotel breakfast
Wake up again 12pm leave get lunch at Chipotle
Drive 35 miles to best venue ever for festival
Park for free 1 mile across from Police station
Walk to venue over a bridge
Go in 2pm-11pm- free water and shade all day. Walk around venue all day- cool be able to walk all day no stress
Leave venue do fun things- eat around 1am.
Sleep repeat 4 days
Big prize at end GNR
Walked 5 1/2 miles per day- that’s what my IPhone told me
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

LAglamrocker wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:01 am My 4 day Aftershock schedule
Wake up 7am get free hotel breakfast
Wake up again 12pm leave get lunch at Chipotle
Drive 35 miles to best venue ever for festival
Park for free 1 mile across from Police station
Walk to venue over a bridge
Go in 2pm-11pm- free water and shade all day. Walk around venue all day- cool be able to walk all day no stress
Leave venue do fun things- eat around 1am.
Sleep repeat 4 days
Big prize at end GNR
Walked 5 1/2 miles per day- that’s what my IPhone told me
I walked 6 miles back to the room after AC/DC. Didn't want to wait for rideshare area / crush / surge so I decided to walk off site a little. By the time I got to a suitable intersection I realized it was like less than 2 miles so I walked the rest of the way. My friends like to bail early to beat traffic and I ain't about that. But we did bail together after Master Of Puppets (because I can just buy the download) and took us 45 mins from the gate to Del Taco to the room.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Metallica songs 10-13 that’s a lot of suffering
I would have walked out
sleeping pill Tool and KROQttalica even 6 miles away with unlimited Double Del Cheeseburgers not far enough away

Who wouldn’t want Chipotle bowl 4days in a row with chicken-double brown rice-black beans- mild hot sauce-sour cream- double guacamole? Then winning music lottery and discovering Jehnny Beth under a freeway stage
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

GoodJudge wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:06 am I suggest it goes back to a comment on a recent thread on US vs Euro festivals and why the former often go wrong: Europe tends to start with "let's plan a festival then see who we can get" vs the US announcing "we're gonna put on X, Y and Z artists on this date", then thinking about how to make it work.
A lot of it boils down to year-on-year experience. Hellfest started out in 2006 with "only" 11000 attendees... Since then, they've slowly scaled upwards, getting bigger sponsors, bigger bands, charging higher prices, etc... Although there's been some mishaps along the way (unforseen heatwaves/rainstorms, not enough porta-potties, not enough water fountains, crazy lines due to their stupid cashless/token system, etc.), they've eventually become France's second biggest annual festival, ahead of most mainstream festivals that existed before the Hellfest.

But yeah, personally, I went once with a 1-day pass (for Mötley/W.A.S.P./Danthrax/Heaven & Hell/Fuckcherry/Down) and that was enough for me to know that I'm not into those huge crowds and the logistical nightmare of going there as a fan. From here on out, I'm staying local, Adam Bomb next month at the local Dr. Feelgood venue will be a blast.