The definitive live hair band album?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Re: The definitive live hair band album?

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Another vote for Tesla. The arrangements of their own songs plus their choice of covers and releasing "Signs" as a single really helped make them to look more like a 70's classic rock band.

Poison would have to get some credit for releasing a true live album at the height of their success (maybe not the height, but still in their prime at least). Pretty much every 80's band has released a live album since then though. GNR, Motley, Def Leppard, Warrant, Winger, Trixter, Firehouse, etc... but I don't think any of them are definitive.

On a side note...were the Kiss, Frampton and Thin Lizzy live albums so popular because their studio albums were not so great? With Thin Lizzy at least, I think the live versions are all better. They have more energy and are fuller sounding. I don't think that's true for any of the 80's rock bands. They all had big production records, so the live albums were always a bit of a letdown.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned this one yet...

Yeah, I know. It's not really live. But then again, neither is KISS Alive.

Which makes me wonder about this candidate...

Either way, it's pretty great.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:03 am
GoodJudge wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:40 am I love old Hanoi and most of the later offshoots but the Cherry Bombz were not a high point. That live album is a sloppy mess and not in a good way.

Obviously I'm going to answer the original question with Hanoi's 'All Those Wasted Years'.
Fair point. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqADnzKmmH4
Anita has aged well and I'll give her credit for still wanting to perform but one thing she hasn't done in the last 35 years is take singing lessons. Some of that was painful! I did make it most of the way through but had to cut the karaoke massacre of House of the Rising Sun.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:40 am

On a side note...were the Kiss, Frampton and Thin Lizzy live albums so popular because their studio albums were not so great? With Thin Lizzy at least, I think the live versions are all better. They have more energy and are fuller sounding.
Priest's Unleashed supports your theory. The songs off SWOD and SAS were almost different songs live, while the songs from the better produced Stained Class didn't gain much in the live versions. Exciter is actually better in the studio.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

People are picking an acoustic album to define hair bands?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

BDG135 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:36 am People are picking an acoustic album to define hair bands?
Yeah I thought of Five Men Acoustic Jam but I don't consider it to be a good representation of their studio albums.
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

Beast from the East
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

SchenkerFan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:42 am
BDG135 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:36 am People are picking an acoustic album to define hair bands?
Yeah I thought of Five Men Acoustic Jam but I don't consider it to be a good representation of their studio albums.
Agreed. I think we mean it's just the best live album in general. Seems there are no "definitive" live albums. We're just going to have to stick with Kiss, Frampton Comes Alive and Thin Lizzy! Let's try this again in another 40 years.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Beast from the East

Rough Cutt Live
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

And how is Judas Priest a hair band? How big was their hair? The youngsters would say they were Nowabhm.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BDG135 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 pm And how is Judas Priest a hair band? How big was their hair? The youngsters would say they were Nowabhm.
KK's perm was pretty big and neither Priest nor Motörhead (another mislabeled band) were NWOBHM.
Can understand "the youngsters" though, they are British and if you were born in the 90s or 00s, 1974-5 and 1980-82 are almost the same era.
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

It’s worth mentioning Hanoi Rocks All Those Wasted Years.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

My choice is Swallow This Live, as good as Five Man Acoustical Jam is, it's not really representative of what a "normal" Tesla show would be.

Beast From The East is good too, but with the CD release, unless you get the Japanese version, they ended up cutting 3 tracks (Standing in the Shadows, Sleepless NIght, and Turn on the Action) to make it fit on one disc, which is a bummer.

It's a good point about bands not releasing live records, though:

Winger - No live album until 2007
Warrant - No live album until 1997 (contractual obligation to CMC)
Ratt - No live album
Guns N Roses - Only a compilation
Bon Jovi - Only compilations and This House is Not for Sale Live
Whitesnake - No "modern" live album until 2003
Motley Crue - No cohesive live album until 2006
Van Halen (Dave) - No live album from classic era
Megadeth - No live album until 2002
Metallica - No true live album until 2009 (S&M not standard set, Binge & Purge boxed set and not album)
Skid Row - No live album
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I'm 75% certain this is an official release and not a bootleg...

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:27 pm I'm 75% certain this is an official release and not a bootleg...

It's as official as a Deadline/Cleopatra release can be!
bill_kir
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by bill_kir »

Hanoi Rocks - All Those Waster Years
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Anthrax442 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:14 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:27 pm I'm 75% certain this is an official release and not a bootleg...

This is probably my favorite of the albums listed so far. Problem is, no one really knows about it, it may or may not be a bootleg...and was released 10 years after their prime.

I actually think Tesla might be the correct answer here. Had a legit hit that wasn't on any studio album and still gets played on classic rock radio. Went Platinum.

Poison second
Operation Livecrime 3rd
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Tesla and Ozzy not hair metal. Especially acoustic Tesla. Poison sucks balls. Beast From The East is the winner by process of elimination and not sucking...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

BDG135 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 pm And how is Judas Priest a hair band? How big was their hair?

Then why are we talking about the Scorpions? (Excuse me, I mean... why are we talking about Scorpions?)

I don't exactly associate "hair" with Klaus Meine.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:50 pm
BDG135 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 pm And how is Judas Priest a hair band? How big was their hair?

Then why are we talking about the Scorpions? (Excuse me, I mean... why are we talking about Scorpions?)

I don't exactly associate "hair" with Klaus Meine.
Ouch. Klaus is just going to have to comfort himself with those gold toilets they have on their rider.

In all seriousness though, growing up I thought World Wide Live and Live Bites would have made the perfect Scorpions double live album if it was packaged together (I didn't know about Tokyo Tapes at the time).
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:03 am
GoodJudge wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:40 am
Whatever Happened To… wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:10 am Image
I love old Hanoi and most of the later offshoots but the Cherry Bombz were not a high point. That live album is a sloppy mess and not in a good way.

Obviously I'm going to answer the original question with Hanoi's 'All Those Wasted Years'.
Fair point. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqADnzKmmH4
No offence but that sounded pretty bad considering they had good musicians like Dave Tregunna and Timo Caltio (R.I.P. :cry: ) in the band. Wonder if they rehearsed much. Love that bar / venue though, Hope & Anchor.

Not sure if many actual hair metal bands were good enough for live albums. I like the classics already mentioned, but they aren`t exactly hair metal (The Scorps, Maiden, Kiss and Tesla unplugged).

Hanoi Rocks` live album is up there of course - good energy and great songs! They get my vote.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

another vote for the scorpions and dokken.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:48 pm Image
This would be my pick.

Let's make it a Trinity with Priest...Live and World Wide Live.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Or any other truck-top-only exclusive "Extended Versions" series
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

daveg wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:15 pm
Anthrax442 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:14 pm

This is probably my favorite of the albums listed so far. Problem is, no one really knows about it, it may or may not be a bootleg...and was released 10 years after their prime.

I actually think Tesla might be the correct answer here. Had a legit hit that wasn't on any studio album and still gets played on classic rock radio. Went Platinum.

Poison second
Operation Livecrime 3rd
i have to admit...i'm not the biggest cinderella fan but when i saw them on the long cold winter tour they sounded awesome...d.m.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

SeniorGrande wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:28 am Image

I'd like to buy this. Which gas station should I go to?
DrumminAway
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by DrumminAway »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:03 am
SeniorGrande wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:28 am Image

I'd like to buy this. Which gas station should I go to?
Chevron Extra Mile
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

If Scorpions are eligible then it is World Wide Live.

If they're not, but W.A.S.P. is then Live...In The Raw.