SO TELL ME WHY - POISON

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

PhrozenInferno
Learning KISS Riffs

SO TELL ME WHY - POISON

Post by PhrozenInferno »

What a tune. Pity it got buried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJuwqHeL9LQ
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Re: SO TELL ME WHY - POISON

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I remember seeing the video on MTV the one time it aired!

1.I don't think the Swallow This Live concert video ever came out officially, did it?

2.Bret is the only person in the video! A sign that things were not well in the Poison camp!

3.The song always reminded me a little of Belinda Carlisle Heaven is a Place on Earth! And a little bit of Hit Me With Your Best Shot too. Very pop sounding song. I think the band produced it themselves. Not bad but if it had Open Up and Say Ahh production, it probably would've been better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NkhR5hFZE
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

Always been my favorite Poison song from the first time I heard it. It would have been a great live song to add to the set.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Rock radio was also changing in late '91...so they probably weren't able to get the single pushed.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
PhrozenInferno
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by PhrozenInferno »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:40 am I remember seeing the video on MTV the one time it aired!

1.I don't think the Swallow This Live concert video ever came out officially, did it?

2.Bret is the only person in the video! A sign that things were not well in the Poison camp!

3.The song always reminded me a little of Belinda Carlisle Heaven is a Place on Earth! And a little bit of Hit Me With Your Best Shot too. Very pop sounding song. I think the band produced it themselves. Not bad but if it had Open Up and Say Ahh production, it probably would've been better!

Wasn't aware they produced it themselves. Honestly, kudos.
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Post by Bob Sacamano »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:40 am I remember seeing the video on MTV the one time it aired!

It was aired as a PPV event. It was supposed to be released as a h me video but that release was canceled. I am pretty sure CC was already out of the band by the time So Tell Me Why was released.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

There may be a Mandela Effect thing going on here. "So Tell Me Why" definitely got regular MTV play. They didn't bury or ignore it. (MTV even gave "Stand" a chance a few years later.)

I recall being on some trip with a friend and watching a lot of MTV during this period. In addition to "So Tell Me Why," the videos we kept seeing were "Don't Cry," "Speak" (from the Queensryche live album, which was actually a big deal at the time) and some new song called "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Metal wasn't dead yet.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
PhrozenInferno
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by PhrozenInferno »

Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:42 pm There may be a Mandela Effect thing going on here. "So Tell Me Why" definitely got regular MTV play. They didn't bury or ignore it. (MTV even gave "Stand" a chance a few years later.)

I recall being on some trip with a friend and watching a lot of MTV during this period. In addition to "So Tell Me Why," the videos we kept seeing were "Don't Cry," "Speak" (from the Queensryche live album, which was actually a big deal at the time) and some new song called "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Metal wasn't dead yet.

This makes sense. It wasn't like one day it was GRUNGE. Look at Def Leppard's early 1990s success too. Bon Jovi?
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

I remember the premiere of Tell Me Why and Bret on Rockline promoting Swallow This Live. I don't remember it being in heavy rotation at all on MTV or hearing it on Rock radio.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Nate S Axel wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:54 am Always been my favorite Poison song from the first time I heard it. It would have been a great live song to add to the set.
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

I remember in Metal Edge they answered fan mail about video. Bert said Rikki was on bike trip. Bobby hurt his leg and CC was on vacation or some shit like that. But label had to have video shot that day only.

MTV for sure played this a bit. Maybe medium rotation.
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

For added perspective... "Ride the Wind" and "Life Goes On" were both in the Top-40 the same year "So Tell Me Why" was released.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Awesome song!
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

Did they even bother playing it live ? Ever?
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by rockker »

gtrjay wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:19 pm Did they even bother playing it live ? Ever?
Never
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

gtrjay wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:19 pm Did they even bother playing it live ? Ever?
Aside from Bert singing over a guide track, the song is probably 99.9% written, recorded and produced by someone other than "Poison"..........
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:05 pm For added perspective... "Ride the Wind" and "Life Goes On" were both in the Top-40 the same year "So Tell Me Why" was released.
Yeah, you'd think Poison would've had just enough goodwill left at that point to send "So Tell Me Why" at least some sort of chart position on the Hot 100, but for some reason it never happened. Must have been because of Nirvana...or maybe not?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Tuff had a video in heavy rotation in '91. Their album came out in May. Nevermind came out in September. Where was the 2nd Tuff video later in the year? hmmm....
VinnieStJohn
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by VinnieStJohn »

While watching the video (good song BTW) I found this video for What I Like About You I didn't even know existed...

https://youtu.be/Igj4GnkXjiA
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

rockker wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:54 pm
Never

I think they actually pulled it out one year during that summer amphitheater series in the late '90s/early 2000s.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

PhrozenInferno wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:01 pm
This makes sense. It wasn't like one day it was GRUNGE. Look at Def Leppard's early 1990s success too. Bon Jovi?
Also, Aerosmith - GAG from 1993 was their 2nd biggest studio album and Van Halen had two multiplatinum albums in the first half of the 90s - without the mandatory power ballad hit. And definitely without moving (too far) away from their classic sound - that's what killed bands like Mötley, Kiss and Warrant. Eventually Leppard too with Slang.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Always thought it was a decent track, but the killer song on Swallow This Live is No More Looking Back. THAT is one of the best things they've ever done, regardless of who actually wrote/recorded it.

There is a DVD bootleg out there of the video, not sure if it's the original master or just a recording of the VH1 broadcast.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
endstand

Post by endstand »

Never been a fan of Poison, but this is a good, catchy song.
dweezil

Post by dweezil »

Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:05 pm For added perspective... "Ride the Wind" and "Life Goes On" were both in the Top-40 the same year "So Tell Me Why" was released.
Both of those tunes BARELY cracked the Top 40 on the Hot 100.
"So Tell Me Why" probably flopped more because of fatigue. It's a decent song.
The video looks like it was shot in all of maybe 2 hours. 3 max.

So THIS is how Frontiers Records got their music video ideas!
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

dweezil wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:14 am

A better analogy might be "(Flesh & Blood) Sacrifice". The song didn't even chart, and the video barely got any airplay, which is probably a good thing since it was just B roll of Unskinny Bop footage anyway.

Sacrifice came out in July, So Tell Me Why was November.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Always loved this song. I always felt the video was kind of just thrown together and I don't recall seeing it more than a few times on MTV.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

No, they knew that their fans wouldn't swallow it.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Anthrax442 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:28 pm
dweezil wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:14 am

A better analogy might be "(Flesh & Blood) Sacrifice". The song didn't even chart, and the video barely got any airplay, .
Always thought that was odd as it's one of the best songs on that album but it wasn't played live a lot either. Neither were Valley of Lost Souls and Life Loves a Tragedy.

On the other hand Life Goes On and Ride the Wind were bland, average songs and You're Mama Don't Dance was a crappy cover of a song that sucked in the first place and they all became hits. Wtf, Poison?
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

love the song.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
kc primo
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by kc primo »

CC should’ve released a full solo record with Spike on vocals after his split from Poison.
Kelly Hanson (Foreigner) was his original lead singer for his post Poison project Needle Park. The record company didn’t think Kelly had the chops and made CC drop him.
30 years later and Hanson is holding it down.
CC has one solo record with him on vocals lol. Horrible