My Half Assed Blotz Review & Night Ranger Too

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

My Half Assed Blotz Review & Night Ranger Too

Post by Blumpkin King »

Made my way down to the City National Grove of Anaheim to see Night Ranger last night. Traffic sucked for the 38 mile ride, but I knew it would. Got to the venue around 8:30. It was packed. Sold out and I didn't see an empty seat. This was a rescheduled show from Feb. Rescheduled because the day of that show Jack had some heart issues.

Got to my seat about 8:40. The opening band was already done. I was sitting in Tier 2 Row F. The place has about 6-7 rows in each tier. Row F was the front of the second tier right over the tops of the heads of the floor section. Seat I grabbed a few weeks ago. As I am looking around, who is seated right behind me but the Blotz. This is my second time seeing Blotz in the wild. The other was a few years ago when he was getting on the same plane as I was back to LA from Chicago. I noted at that time he had boarding group G, the last to go on. Now the Blotz's hair is just weird. It's so dyed and looks like straw on the back and had some weird swooped to one side. For some reason Blotz wants to leave the area and he decides to walk down my aisle instead of his. He was in a denim outfit that looked like it was bejeweled. Kind of looked like he just watched the movie Rhinestone and wanted to adopt that look.

Show started at 9. Night Ranger were great, but they are always great. They play perfectly. Jack sounds fantastic. Brad hams it up and plays very solid. Kelly sounded pretty good. Keri fits right in as he has been there over a decade. The keyboard player seems out of place, even though they always have had a keyboard player. The keyboard player tries to fit in so much that he has decided to look just like Fitz did when he was in the band. He is awkward when he walks away from his keyboards and tries to get the crowd pumped up. Kelly does a drum solo and the rest of the band comes out and it becomes this group drum solo thing that is entertaining for a minute, but then just seems to become lame. The lamest part is when Jack tells Fitz Jr. to come help and he lumbers from his keyboards to the drums. Jack seems to talk off the cuff, but you know it's the same stuff every night. They are likable and have a really tight show. I've seen Night Ranger a ton and they always give 100% and the show is great.

Back to Blotz. With him behind me I realized he probably could not see much. Standing, I am a little under 6'1 and he is not. Did I have some satisfaction knowing I was blocking his view - Yep. At one point Blotz walked down to the floor level (I noticed because a security guard stopped him) and then just walked off to the side. When he came back he seemed so lost and tried to go in my row when his friends grabbed and pulled him to the next row where his seat was.

One criticism I have about the show was the length. It was 1:25. They took a song out of the setlist that they usually do. Not sure why. The other criticism is that hey play 2 covers. Schools Out (Because Keri played with Alice Cooper) and Crazy Train (Because Brad toured with Ozzy). It's lame. Play a couple of more Night Ranger songs instead. I guess the same could be said for the Damn Yankees songs, but at least Jack was originally on those songs.

You Can Still Rock In America
Four In The Morning
Sing Me Away
Coming Of Age
Sentimental Street
Schools Out
Crazy Train
Night Ranger (Drum Solo)
Come Again
High Enough
Goodbye
Don't Close Your Eyes
Don't Tell Me You Love Me
Sister Christian

When the show was done I turned around to leave and the Blotz was gone. Into the wind just like that.

Really Good show and I really enjoyed it. Worth $40 for the ticket and the Boltz Sighting.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: My Half Assed Blotz Review & Night Ranger Too

Post by Black Stuff »

LOL @ Blotz in da wild.

But:

1) Was Cindy Brady with him?
2) Was he being a dick to people?
3) Was he wearing something ridiculous?
4) Were any of the new Experience RATTS with him?
5) Did he bitch about sound and/or the drumming?
The power of Sludge compels you.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Blumpkin King wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:29 am Made my way down to the City National Grove of Anaheim to see Night Ranger last night. Traffic sucked for the 38 mile ride, but I knew it would. Got to the venue around 8:30. It was packed. Sold out and I didn't see an empty seat. This was a rescheduled show from Feb. Rescheduled because the day of that show Jack had some heart issues.

Got to my seat about 8:40. The opening band was already done. I was sitting in Tier 2 Row F. The place has about 6-7 rows in each tier. Row F was the front of the second tier right over the tops of the heads of the floor section. Seat I grabbed a few weeks ago. As I am looking around, who is seated right behind me but the Blotz. This is my second time seeing Blotz in the wild. The other was a few years ago when he was getting on the same plane as I was back to LA from Chicago. I noted at that time he had boarding group G, the last to go on. Now the Blotz's hair is just weird. It's so dyed and looks like straw on the back and had some weird swooped to one side. For some reason Blotz wants to leave the area and he decides to walk down my aisle instead of his. He was in a denim outfit that looked like it was bejeweled. Kind of looked like he just watched the movie Rhinestone and wanted to adopt that look.

Show started at 9. Night Ranger were great, but they are always great. They play perfectly. Jack sounds fantastic. Brad hams it up and plays very solid. Kelly sounded pretty good. Keri fits right in as he has been there over a decade. The keyboard player seems out of place, even though they always have had a keyboard player. The keyboard player tries to fit in so much that he has decided to look just like Fitz did when he was in the band. He is awkward when he walks away from his keyboards and tries to get the crowd pumped up. Kelly does a drum solo and the rest of the band comes out and it becomes this group drum solo thing that is entertaining for a minute, but then just seems to become lame. The lamest part is when Jack tells Fitz Jr. to come help and he lumbers from his keyboards to the drums. Jack seems to talk off the cuff, but you know it's the same stuff every night. They are likable and have a really tight show. I've seen Night Ranger a ton and they always give 100% and the show is great.

Back to Blotz. With him behind me I realized he probably could not see much. Standing, I am a little under 6'1 and he is not. Did I have some satisfaction knowing I was blocking his view - Yep. At one point Blotz walked down to the floor level (I noticed because a security guard stopped him) and then just walked off to the side. When he came back he seemed so lost and tried to go in my row when his friends grabbed and pulled him to the next row where his seat was.

One criticism I have about the show was the length. It was 1:25. They took a song out of the setlist that they usually do. Not sure why. The other criticism is that hey play 2 covers. Schools Out (Because Keri played with Alice Cooper) and Crazy Train (Because Brad toured with Ozzy). It's lame. Play a couple of more Night Ranger songs instead. I guess the same could be said for the Damn Yankees songs, but at least Jack was originally on those songs.

You Can Still Rock In America
Four In The Morning
Sing Me Away
Coming Of Age
Sentimental Street
Schools Out
Crazy Train
Night Ranger (Drum Solo)
Come Again
High Enough
Goodbye
Don't Close Your Eyes
Don't Tell Me You Love Me
Sister Christian

When the show was done I turned around to leave and the Blotz was gone. Into the wind just like that.

Really Good show and I really enjoyed it. Worth $40 for the ticket and the Boltz Sighting.

Amazing review...

My favorite lines are...

"""""This is my second time seeing Blotz in the wild."""""

"""""He was in a denim outfit that looked like it was bejeweled."""""""

$ludge
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

Black Stuff wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:45 am LOL @ Blotz in da wild.

But:

1) Was Cindy Brady with him?
2) Was he being a dick to people?
3) Was he wearing something ridiculous?
4) Were any of the new Experience RATTS with him?
5) Did he bitch about sound and/or the drumming?
1. Didn't see her
2. I don't think anyone recognized him but me.
3. Read the review
4. I have no idea what they look like, but unless they are 55-60 year old men with short hair and wear dress shirts to a concert I would say no.
5. I could not hear him complain, but that's not to say he didn't. I'm sure he was jealous of the turnout and response to Night Ranger.

Add - He seemed to be with 3 accountant type guys. They all had Band Guest Laminates. He did not have one, or he was too cool to wear it.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Ah shitz, I thought this was a review of his new band playing!
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

Awesome review!
Biggest takeaway many missed so far, Blotz has friends? :lol:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Saw them a few weeks ago and instead of Crazy Train and Schools out we got 7 Wishes, Rumors in the Air, Secret of My Success, and Reason To Be.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

I have asked Brad several times about the covers, always answers that they survey the crowd & see if they need to "dumb it down" & enter the covers. If they think its a knowledeable crowd, they do deep cuts.
I would think LA would get the deep cuts.
Ive done one M&G (won it, not paid) & actually pleaded to em NO COVERS which they laughed about. Well, we got no covers that night!
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

cowpins wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:04 pm Saw them a few weeks ago and instead of Crazy Train and Schools out we got 7 Wishes, Rumors in the Air, Secret of My Success, and Reason To Be.
You definitely got the better set list.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

cowpins wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:04 pm Saw them a few weeks ago and instead of Crazy Train and Schools out we got 7 Wishes, Rumors in the Air, Secret of My Success, and Reason To Be.
I'm coming to Florida to see them next time.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Blumpkin King wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:10 pm
I'm coming to Florida to see them next time.
It was in Daytona Beach and being the bikers capital of the SE I figured that would be the place ideal place to get the place on a frenzy with the covers, but to greenie's point, maybe we were their audience and they brought out the deeper songs. Jack did call Reason to Be as an audible. They were about to start High Enough (because, you know, Ted asked them to play some Damn Yankees for the fine people on the FREE state of Florida) and Jack had Keri go in to it. 7 Wishes was GREAT though.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Oh, and I've seen these guys 15+ times, and Brad is one of my all time favs, however, this is the first time I've seen them sober, and damn does he play at lot of whammy bar. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

You should have given Blotzer a Blumpkin in the bathroom
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Do they still do the "classic rock medley breakdown" in the middle of Don't Tell Me?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Hungwell
100 Million Hungwell Fans Can't Be Wrong

Post by Hungwell »

Blumpkin King wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:29 amNow the Blotz's hair is just weird. It's so dyed and looks like straw on the back and had some weird swooped to one side.

To his credit he is tryin' to make a wig outta half a bowl of Angel Hair pasta.

Back to Blotz. With him behind me I realized he probably could not see much. Standing, I am a little under 6'1 and he is not. Did I have some satisfaction knowing I was blocking his view - Yep.

Great review. I was prayin' you were gonna ask him for the time and then hit him with the Blotz Clock!!