RIP ... Classic L.A. Guns drummer Steve Riley Dead at 67

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VicStelly
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: RIP ... Classic L.A. Guns drummer Steve Riley Dead at 67

Post by VicStelly »

Publicity stunt.
Demon Kogure
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by Demon Kogure »

Called it
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

LovePowerFromTheMamaHead wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:29 am
alleyrulez wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:24 am
gtshark1 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:10 am Phil cane out with a very brief statement today amd pointed out they were never truly friends.

What an ass...
from what I could tell from that statement, it seemed it was due to the fact that Riley was a private person and mostly kept to himself.

the headline definitely makes it sound worse than it is.
Phil released the following statement via his personal Facebook page: "Very shocked to hear about Steve Riley's passing today. He was a good guy and an excellent drummer. We toured the world together many times and countless adventures both good and bad. Unfortunately we were never truly friends in 30 years I never once visited his house and apart from band stuff we never hung out or went to dinner together. I think he valued his privacy and kept work and family very much separate.

Definitely not as bad as the headlines. A rather nice statement all things considered

I would've worded it a touch differently, but nothing to get mad about. You could argue that Steve was stealing from the IP Phil and Chicken created and cost them money, even if "legally" he wasn't. So yeah, not bad all things considered.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

RIP Riley
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

Pretty shocking to hear this. Wasn’t Riley a member of a version of Steppenwolf early in his career? Dude has been in the national music game a LONG time. I recall the video from a couple of years ago either at M3 or something similar. It was a drum cam of Riley and when he played had these bizarre sounding sounds coming from his mouth when he played. Not sure if that was something he was always known for.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Metal Judge
Headlining Clubs

Post by Metal Judge »

“Phil released the following statement via his personal Facebook page: "Very shocked to hear about Steve Riley's passing today. He was a good guy and an excellent drummer. We toured the world together many times and countless adventures both good and bad. Unfortunately we were never truly friends in 30 years I never once visited his house and apart from band stuff we never hung out or went to dinner together. I think he valued his privacy and kept work and family very much separate.”

Maybe because the problem is you Phil?
Ralph2
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by Ralph2 »

Phil, leave out the personal stuff and keep it classy.

You sound like a bitter loser.
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

Did you know that the last time Eddie Trunk saw Steve Riley was when Eddie Trunk hosted M3 in 2021? Eddie Trunk posted it on Eddie Trunk's Twitter page.
https://twitter.com/EddieTrunk/status/1 ... 4502200742
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

gtshark1 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:10 am Phil cane out with a very brief statement today amd pointed out they were never truly friends.

What an ass...
Can't you read the article instead of just the headline?

What an ass...
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Riley's L.A. Guns - Featuring Bobby Blotzer
March 25, 2024
Tickets on sale now
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
gtshark1
Headlining Clubs

Post by gtshark1 »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:19 am

What an ass...
Can't you read the article instead of just the headline?

What an ass...
Never looked at any headline. Read the statement from LA GUNS Facebook page and posted here before the "headline/article" was even referenced.
kingbrian74

Post by kingbrian74 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:16 pm

from what I could tell from that statement, it seemed it was due to the fact that Riley was a private person and mostly kept to himself.

Phil released the following statement via his personal Facebook page: "Very shocked to hear about Steve Riley's passing today. He was a good guy and an excellent drummer. We toured the world together many times and countless adventures both good and bad. Unfortunately we were never truly friends in 30 years I never once visited his house and apart from band stuff we never hung out or went to dinner together. I think he valued his privacy and kept work and family very much separate.

Definitely not as bad as the headlines. A rather nice statement all things considered

I would've worded it a touch differently, but nothing to get mad about. You could argue that Steve was stealing from the IP Phil and Chicken created and cost them money, even if "legally" he wasn't. So yeah, not bad all things considered.
If it was legal, then he wasn’t stealing anything.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Any public comment at all from Tracii Chicken?
TorienRoxxGang

Post by TorienRoxxGang »

Learn from Steve that smoking is beyond stupid in the covid era. I mean the majority have called Steve the Cryptkeeper for years. RIP Steve Riley
gtshark1
Headlining Clubs

Post by gtshark1 »

Blackie made a nice and classy statement.
TumblingDice
Music Fan

Post by TumblingDice »

'He lit up the room when he walked in". His playing stands out on the first album. I lost interest in LAG without him
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

That sucks man...R.I.P.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

TumblingDice wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:32 pm 'He lit up the room when he walked in". His playing stands out on the first album. I lost interest in LAG without him
He didn't play on the first album.
Metal Judge
Headlining Clubs

Post by Metal Judge »

gtshark1 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:12 pm Blackie made a nice and classy statement.
Can you copy and post it please.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

RIP. Just remembered Riley was one of the first rock stars I met. Signing event for WASP's first album and tour. Blackie and Randy were there and some black haired dude nobody knew but expected to be Tony Richards.

One of the fans asked "Tony" why he had changed hair color. He answered that "Tony has left the band, I am the new drummer Steve". That's how we found out that they had a new drummer. Chris? Not sure if the story was real but Blackie said he missed their flight from Paris 😀
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:47 am
TumblingDice wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:32 pm 'He lit up the room when he walked in". His playing stands out on the first album. I lost interest in LAG without him
Riley didn’t play on the first LA Guns record?
Who did?
bad565
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by bad565 »

:
Nate S Axel wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:29 pm Did you know that the last time Eddie Trunk saw Steve Riley was when Eddie Trunk hosted M3 in 2021? Eddie Trunk posted it on Eddie Trunk's Twitter page.
https://twitter.com/EddieTrunk/status/1 ... 4502200742
Did you know he created the winery dogs! Reunited twisted sister! And even has a second home that he spends a lot of time in in Vegas!!!
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

What an ass...

No, that was not a nice statement. This would be a nice statement:

"Very shocked to hear about Steve Riley's passing today. He was a good guy and an excellent drummer. We toured the world together many times and countless adventures both good and bad."

This was not the time to go out of your way to mention he never invited you over to play cards or anything. What the fuck.
gtshark1
Headlining Clubs

Post by gtshark1 »

Metal Judge wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:15 am
gtshark1 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:12 pm Blackie made a nice and classy statement.
Can you copy and post it please.
https://blabbermouth.net/news/w-a-s-p-s ... ll-live-on
wildside1969
Opening for Slaughter

Post by wildside1969 »

DangerZone wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:05 am
SchenkerFan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:47 am
Riley didn’t play on the first LA Guns record?
Who did?
Nickey Alexander a.k.a. Nickey Beat was the drummer on the first LAG album. Steve joined right before the album was released in 1988.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I called Nickey that night (Friday?) after I found out about Steve. He answered the phone by saying: "That motherfucker was totally lying about his age!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Domino
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Domino »

always dig his drumming. RIP Steve
that bitch bends over and i forget my name
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

IN MEMORY OF …
Steve Riley talks L.A. Guns, Keel and W.A.S.P. history in never-seen-before interview with 80's Metal Recycle Bin
#steveriley #laguns #rileyslaguns #wasp #keel #steppenwolf #80smetalrecyclebin #traciiguns #phillewis #kellynickels #blackielawless #chrisholmes #randypiper #metalsludge
https://metalsludge.tv/in-memory-of-ste ... cycle-bin/

$ludge
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the Riley's LA Guns album that came out a couple years ago was actually better than the last 2 or 3 Phil/Traci LA Guns records.

Life is short, appreciate what you have.
Metal Judge
Headlining Clubs

Post by Metal Judge »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:29 pm IN MEMORY OF …
Steve Riley talks L.A. Guns, Keel and W.A.S.P. history in never-seen-before interview with 80's Metal Recycle Bin
#steveriley #laguns #rileyslaguns #wasp #keel #steppenwolf #80smetalrecyclebin #traciiguns #phillewis #kellynickels #blackielawless #chrisholmes #randypiper #metalsludge
https://metalsludge.tv/in-memory-of-ste ... cycle-bin/

$ludge
Dude was a class act. Never threw dirt on anyone. Always chose to take the high road no matter what the situation was.