Guess who doesn't like ADKOT?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Guess who doesn't like ADKOT?

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Re: Guess who doesn't like ADKOT?

Post by dmbrocker »

Shocking. You'd think Dave would enjoy hearing himself go "Tattoo! Tattoo!" for nearly 5 minutes straight.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

No shit. suckit, you already shared this under your other nym.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Better than any post-Skyscraper DLR album.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:50 am Better than any post-Skyscraper DLR album.
Not exactly a high bar there.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Good example. All bands who erroneously released albums beyond their heyday should do this. The Dolls, The Stooges etc, just take that shit down and pretend they never happened.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

So delete all the Hagar albums too?
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:59 am So delete all the Hagar albums too?
All Roth after Skyscraper and all Van Hagar can go in the bin, and we can all forget about the VH reunion which was, let's be honest it, depressing as hell.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:25 am Good example. All bands who erroneously released albums beyond their heyday should do this. The Dolls, The Stooges etc, just take that shit down and pretend they never happened.
Are we finally being honest?

I actually liked and was really impressed with the New York Dolls album (the one with the pink background) but I don't think I've listened to it since the day I bought it!

And my first opinion of ADKOT... I actually liked Tattoo. Reminded me a bit of Sensible Shoes which happens to be my favorite DLR song. And I liked Stay Frosty because it reminded me of Ice Cream Man.

There were a couple of lyrics that I love ("Some days you're the dog. Some days you're the hydrant" is gold) but the album production is all wrong. WAY too much distortion and compression. They just hit it way too hard. It doesn't breathe like classic VH records. And it was pretty obvious that Dave was in an isolation booth. It didn't feel like a true band record. LOVE the energy on the album though. They are playing their asses off. I just would've preferred a classic sound.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:46 am the album production is all wrong. WAY too much distortion and compression. They just hit it way too hard. It doesn't breathe like classic VH records. And it was pretty obvious that Dave was in an isolation booth. It didn't feel like a true band record. LOVE the energy on the album though. They are playing their asses off. I just would've preferred a classic sound.
Couldn't have said it better. The songs and playing is good but listening to ADKOT all the way through just makes me tired. Listening to any of the first six albums makes me energized. Some of the best produced hard rock albums.

ADKOT could have been the same as the songs aren't that different. But the production is very much 2012, dated instead of timeless. Just googled John Shanks and he seems quite disliked on the Bon Jovi boards - he produced a couple of their later albums and plays live with BJ.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Roth accepted the Wolf/Mikey situation because he realized he wasn't getting back in the band otherwise, but in hindsight I'm sure he has the same feelings most fans have: Van Halen is Eddie, Alex, David, and Mikey.

Going from 3/4ths of the classic lineup to during the brief Sammy reunion to..... 3/4ths of the classic lineup when Roth rejoined was stupid. A total missed opportunity.

I'm sure Roth's opinion of the album has less to do with who is on bass and more to do with the fact that it's not the band that took over the world... it's the Van Halen Family Band feat. DLR.

Eddie. Alex. David. Mikey. Accept no substitutes.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

And after the 2012 tour it was never heard again.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:37 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:59 am So delete all the Hagar albums too?
All Roth after Skyscraper and all Van Hagar can go in the bin, and we can all forget about the VH reunion which was, let's be honest it, depressing as hell.
Whatever, van hagar was great too, just different. Also, the reunion was fantastic until the last tour
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

There is no way Wolf would have any say or creative control over ADKOT at any facet. I highly doubt the Eddie Van Halen Estate had Wolfie listed as any sort of executor of Van Halen music.

As much as this as this entitled asshat despises the VH nod, he surely loves to gripe openly about the bands business.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Whatever Happened To… wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:25 am Good example. All bands who erroneously released albums beyond their heyday should do this. The Dolls, The Stooges etc, just take that shit down and pretend they never happened.
Metallica should cancel half their discography in that case.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

ParaDime77 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:29 pm There is no way Wolf would have any say or creative control over ADKOT at any facet. I highly doubt the Eddie Van Halen Estate had Wolfie listed as any sort of executor of Van Halen music.

As much as this as this entitled asshat despises the VH nod, he surely loves to gripe openly about the bands business.
He was asked a direct question by Trunk, and he did his best to avoid calling out DLR.

Personally, I'm annoyed, because I like ADKOT very much, and I missed the boat on the vinyl version, which is now like $400. If they were to figure this shit out, it would open the door to re-release it, like they just did for Balance.

Not sure why I'm surprised though. This band hasn't been able to do anything right for over 30 years, why the hell should they start now?
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Fletch »

Kind of surprised Dave doesn’t like it. It’s got his fingerprints all over it. That’s the best albums worth of music DLR has been involved with since 1986
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Fletch wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:56 am Kind of surprised Dave doesn’t like it. It’s got his fingerprints all over it. That’s the best albums worth of music DLR has been involved with since 1986
Technically, a lot of it was pre-1986.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

SchenkerFan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:38 am
Metallica should cancel half their discography in that case.
Half is being generous. They have, what, five, six, decent songs? The rest, complete waste of time.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Fletch wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:56 am Kind of surprised Dave doesn’t like it. It’s got his fingerprints all over it. That’s the best albums worth of music DLR has been involved with since 1986
Agreed
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

FreddyFender wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:13 am Roth accepted the Wolf/Mikey situation because he realized he wasn't getting back in the band otherwise, but in hindsight I'm sure he has the same feelings most fans have: Van Halen is Eddie, Alex, David, and Mikey.

Going from 3/4ths of the classic lineup to during the brief Sammy reunion to..... 3/4ths of the classic lineup when Roth rejoined was stupid. A total missed opportunity.

I'm sure Roth's opinion of the album has less to do with who is on bass and more to do with the fact that it's not the band that took over the world... it's the Van Halen Family Band feat. DLR.

Mike must have really pissed off the brothers for some reason.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:01 am
FreddyFender wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:13 am Roth accepted the Wolf/Mikey situation because he realized he wasn't getting back in the band otherwise, but in hindsight I'm sure he has the same feelings most fans have: Van Halen is Eddie, Alex, David, and Mikey.

Mike must have really pissed off the brothers for some reason.

I think maybe from playing with Sammy’s projects as well as Eddie wanting to play with his son
RockSkar wrote:
Itwalksamongus wrote:
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

So....are we all just believing Wolfat here???

Why would DLR allow the live album to be streamed.

Makes no sene to me. I highly doubt Dave cares about that petty BS. Now Alex on the other hand....I can see being pissed about something, and just saying F it. Take it off.

This seems to me, Wolfie just being a prick. He probably has no idea why it is not on Spotity
Kerry67
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Kerry67 »

This 100%
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

daveg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:39 am So....are we all just believing Wolfat here???

Why would DLR allow the live album to be streamed.

Makes no sene to me. I highly doubt Dave cares about that petty BS. Now Alex on the other hand....I can see being pissed about something, and just saying F it. Take it off.

This seems to me, Wolfie just being a prick. He probably has no idea why it is not on Spotity
Totally different situation. Tokyo Dome was done via Warner Brothers, so it lives with all the rest of their catalog, so Dave would have no say in the matter. A Different Kind of Truth was a one off with Interscope before they re-signed with Warner, and they specifically did it as a 10 year deal, in case they did decide to re-sign with Warner, that they'd be able to re-release it through them.

It's not just streaming, ADKOT is completely out of print/deleted on the physical side too, until VH gets their shit together, which at this rate, might be never, this album simply doesn't exist unless you have a copy already.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

I've always liked the album. And I'm glad I still buy CDs. Physical media is still relevant.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Did Wolfie get writing credit for those songs?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

BDG135 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:24 am Did Wolfie get writing credit for those songs?
Just checked the liner notes, writing to all songs is credited to Van Halen/Roth. Now, whether "Van Halen" includes Wolf, who the fuck knows?
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Anthrax442 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:47 am
BDG135 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:24 am Did Wolfie get writing credit for those songs?
Just checked the liner notes, writing to all songs is credited to Van Halen/Roth. Now, whether "Van Halen" includes Wolf, who the fuck knows?
It wouldn't surprise me if Eddie insisted Wolfie gets publishing too.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
JizzySynatra
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by JizzySynatra »

Not sure how Roth gets the call on that. Yeah, the production isn't my favorite but the album was way better then I expected. I'd understand if they wanted to remove that Roth live album, but this makes little sense.