Ozzy Osbourne Shot in the Dark Live 1989

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Ozzy Osbourne Shot in the Dark Live 1989

Post by ParaDime77 »

https://youtu.be/Crv2WKDZHWA?si=98WDutXlMm1TYiIG

Man, when that intro hits with Zakk and Geezer, this goes to 11!
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Ozzy Osbourne Shot in the Dark Live 1989

Post by BernieTaupson »

Zakk didn’t know how to do the intro harmonics without his guitar going out of tune so it was always a sample.

Is that Airey doing the backing vocals through a vocoder? Never noticed that before.

Liza Minnelli dancing at 4:05
ALMOSTsaved
Headlining Clubs

Post by ALMOSTsaved »

This was that pay-per-view show with BulletBoys, wasn't it? If so, why are they in a theater? Always wondered that.
kwf
Headlining Clubs

Post by kwf »

The tour was called Theater of Madness
Total Package
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Great lineup. Always liked the Just Say Ozzy EP that came out after this tour.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

ALMOSTsaved wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:27 pm This was that pay-per-view show with BulletBoys, wasn't it? If so, why are they in a theater? Always wondered that.
If they knew they were recording, maybe they wanted to do it in a theater that would possibly have better acoustics than an arena or a shed?
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

ALMOSTsaved wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:27 pm This was that pay-per-view show with BulletBoys, wasn't it? If so, why are they in a theater? Always wondered that.
Because the sound was so much better. The building is pretty famous for that...lots of live stuff has been recorded there.
wildside1969
Opening for Slaughter

Post by wildside1969 »

kwf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:51 am The tour was called Theater of Madness
The Theater of Madness tour was the first leg of the No More Tears tour from October 1991 thru April 1992. Ozzy then took a 2 month break before coming back and doing the No More Tours leg of the tour from June 92 thru November 1992 and retiring.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Nice clip; I wonder how early in the tour this was.

Reason I ask is that at the end of the clip you can hear Ozzy almost call Zakk "Jake".
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

I prefer the way Jake played it.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

aznsquirt wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:33 pm Nice clip; I wonder how early in the tour this was.

Reason I ask is that at the end of the clip you can hear Ozzy almost call Zakk "Jake".
Holy fuck you’re right, then he says JACK WYLDE!
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:54 pm I prefer the way Jake played it.
Yeah, this lineup doesn’t sound good to me. Don’t like the way Randy is playing the tunes either.
wildside1969
Opening for Slaughter

Post by wildside1969 »

aznsquirt wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:33 pm Nice clip; I wonder how early in the tour this was.

The show was six and a half months into the tour. Two months later the tour would be over.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

wildside1969 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:44 pm

The show was six and a half months into the tour. Two months later the tour would be over.
Hahaha 6.5 month into the tour and he's still too fried to get Zakk's name right.
HottKarl777

Post by HottKarl777 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:50 pm Zakk didn’t know how to do the intro harmonics without his guitar going out of tune so it was always a sample.

In Zakk's defense if you bend a note sharp behind the nut on a Les Paul the string will almost always be flat when you release it. This would be a hard lick to pull off live in the beginning of a tune
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:16 pm

Holy fuck you’re right, then he says JACK WYLDE!
Maybe it was an in-joke ... at the 89 show I saw he introduced Zakk as "Randy Moore" :)
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

HottKarl777 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:31 pm
BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:50 pm Zakk didn’t know how to do the intro harmonics without his guitar going out of tune so it was always a sample.

In Zakk's defense if you bend a note sharp behind the nut on a Les Paul the string will almost always be flat when you release it. This would be a hard lick to pull off live in the beginning of a tune

This. Learned it during the pandemic (Les Paul) and I’d fall out of tune every time I did it no matter how many times I tightened the strings. It’s in a weird tuning to begin with.

Love this performance. Zakk’s always killed it, and it never stops being strange being reminded of how live audiences actually, like, moved in the pre-iPhone era.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Kicking Jake out was about the dumbest thing they did.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:06 pm
Kicking Jake out was about the dumbest thing they did.
I concur.

It sounds like Phil Soussan might have been behind that.

He didn’t last much longer.

He went on to play with Billy Idol for 10 minutes & Vince Neil for 15 minutes.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

HottKarl777 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:31 pm

Jake still seems to be able to pull it off:

https://youtu.be/RSn2s14iDX4?si=2wC1-WKftkC1_DQq
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Why the fuck did he hire Bill Susan anyway? He looked like an androgynous dork, there are bass mistakes all over The Ultimate Ozzy video and he couldn’t write songs.

He stole Shot In The Dark from his previous band and said he wrote it. That’s the litmus test on songwriting stuff, if someone comes out with a brilliant song out of nowhere and then never writes anything of note ever again.

He has a nice home in Vegas though, I’ll give him that. I’d post a screenshot here but maybe that counts as doxing.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:07 pm Why the fuck did he hire Bill Susan anyway?
From the sound of it, on a total whim.

Quote Phil:

"Out of the blue I got a call from Swan Song owner Jimmy Page ! He wanted to know if I wanted to help him put a band together!
Hmmmmmm……… Let me think about this one!
For almost a year we ended up jamming and playing with various drummers; Chris Slade, Rat Scabies, Chris Slade again! and I was having the time of my life! Then I received a call after doing a live TV show with some band. Out of the blue this voice on the phone says “Hi…Phil, This is Ozzy…meet me at this f***ing bar ” After some long auditions I decided to leave Jimmy and go to work with Ozzy. Jimmy had still no plans to tour and was still finding his feet after having been out of the scene for so long. We talked about it and he wished me luck; he is still a wonderful friend and human being. The greatest guy to be stuck in Soho with at 5 am after being thrown out of every bar and unable to get a cab! No one believes he is who he is !!!"
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:07 pm Why the fuck did he hire Bill Susan anyway? He looked like an androgynous dork, there are bass mistakes all over The Ultimate Ozzy video and he couldn’t write songs.

He stole Shot In The Dark from his previous band and said he wrote it. That’s the litmus test on songwriting stuff, if someone comes out with a brilliant song out of nowhere and then never writes anything of note ever again.

He has a nice home in Vegas though, I’ll give him that. I’d post a screenshot here but maybe that counts as doxing.

Yeah, I think Bob Daisley mentioned he thought the bass playing on TUS was amateur level in his book, and glad he didn’t play on it, presumably because of the shiny production. I still like the album though.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:07 pm
Klaus Meine the sole writer of Wind of Change, one of the biggest singles of all time, would like a word with you.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:02 am Klaus Meine the sole writer of Wind of Change, one of the biggest singles of all time, would like a word with you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_and ... ions_song)
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:40 pm
BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:07 pm Why the fuck did he hire Bill Susan anyway? He looked like an androgynous dork, there are bass mistakes all over The Ultimate Ozzy video and he couldn’t write songs.

Yeah, I think Bob Daisley mentioned he thought the bass playing on TUS was amateur level in his book, and glad he didn’t play on it, presumably because of the shiny production. I still like the album though.
Last great Ozzy album. No Rest sucks, NMT is one song, and the rest is forgettable.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:37 am
Love_Industry wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:02 am Klaus Meine the sole writer of Wind of Change, one of the biggest singles of all time, would like a word with you.
Wow. I stand corrected. Pure Instinct sucks and bombed from what I remember but this was apparently a hit single. Even here in Sweden. A minor one but still.
Last edited by Love_Industry on Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:37 am
There's a pretty big gulf between Winds of Change and You and I. Pure Instinct was DOA in the US.

Good song, though.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.