The Beatles 'Now & Then'

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Darrien
Headlining Clubs

The Beatles 'Now & Then'

Post by Darrien »

Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Re: The Beatles 'Now & Then'

Post by Mister Freeze »

Between "Now & Then" and "Angry"... the Beatles and the Rolling Stones are putting out the best new music of 2023.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

I dig it.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
mfgtr
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by mfgtr »

Meh -
John Lennon’s solo demo has some sweet ideas but as with much of his solo work , is morose and dirge like in tempo.
NOT AT ALL the uplifting power & life of the four Beatles and if this was a fans tape , McCartney wouldn’t give it such consideration. His love for John overrides all in this case.

I find the song below the standards of some of Paul’s solo work of the past 30 years AND John Lennon never intended this to be released.

! ! !
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Average Beatles song, more of a curiosity or an experiment to piece it together with technology. Interesting, but certainly not essential.

The new Stones album though, it's a banger!
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:08 am Average Beatles song, more of a curiosity or an experiment to piece it together with technology. Interesting, but certainly not essential.

This pretty much sums it up. Cool to hear and will probably grow on me over time, but definitely not essential.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

It's no Real Love.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Terrible. And I love Lennon's solo stuff.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

As George said, it’s just a crap track. It’s not a song, it’s half an idea of a song. There were way better demos that came out on the JL Anthology that they could have worked with.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

I’ll take what I can get from The Beatles … love it.
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

Huge Beatles fan. I didn’t hate it like I figured I would. Almost like the Beatles doing latter-day Pink Floyd. Unfortunately it’s as half-baked as most of John’s solo stuff. Paul need to sweeten it up a bit with a better chorus or a bit of added melody. It’s Ike Floyd with only Dave or only Roger. Their contrast always made for the best material. I do like it better than the “new” anthology songs.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

Meh.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

mfgtr wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:57 am Meh -
John Lennon’s solo demo has some sweet ideas but as with much of his solo work , is morose and dirge like in tempo.
I love how dark and sad the original demo is. They didn't do the song any favors IMO, It's too upbeat, and bloated, also Paul's modern day voice is rough.
The Beatles subreddit is full of people in tears over it, so I guess I'm in the minority lol.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

The fact that I just heard a new Beatles song for the first time was a pleasant surprise, however, it didn't do much for me. Also not a fan of piecing things together. I am old school with musicians writing music together, especially The Beatles. The magic was John & Paul sitting in a room together.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Just saw the video for this and oof, the editing in They All Lie And Cheat was better. It looks unbelievably shit. Awful.
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:08 am Average Beatles song, more of a curiosity or an experiment to piece it together with technology. Interesting, but certainly not essential.

Agreed. I was pretty excited to give it a listen but I found it repetitive and it completely lacking any hook. Not a bad piece of music but when I compare it to their body of work, it was just ok.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
PhrozenInferno
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by PhrozenInferno »

Stuck it on and forgot about it immediately until I realised Apple Music had been playing Beatles radio for 2 songs.

I've played Hackney Diamonds maybe 10 times start to finish since its release.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

I'm a huge Beatles fan, they were my first favourite band, and I'm really digging this song.

However:
Darrien wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:02 am I love how dark and sad the original demo is.
I agree with this, I think I'd have prefered if the song had kept its more melancolic vibe.

Still, great stuff nonetheless.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

I love it... they didn't disappoint.

It's a nice fitting coda to the best band there ever was or will be.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

A beautifully simple lyric. "Now and then I miss you."

That kind of thing will punch you in the gut at just the right moment. Especially with the right amount of whiskey.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

NeonKnite wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:51 am It's a nice fitting coda to the best band there ever was or will be.

I agree. It's not meant to top the charts, sell a tour or anchor a new greatest hits. I prefer this over "Free As a Bird/Real Love" - and those "new" songs are now 28 years old, which is crazy.

The sentiment is there. And it's the Beatles. They really changed the world. I fear they'll get lost in time in a bit. AI is going to generate new "Beatles" songs and successive generations won't know the difference.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:25 am
NeonKnite wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:51 am It's a nice fitting coda to the best band there ever was or will be.

I agree. It's not meant to top the charts, sell a tour or anchor a new greatest hits. I prefer this over "Free As a Bird/Real Love" - and those "new" songs are now 28 years old, which is crazy.

The sentiment is there. And it's the Beatles. They really changed the world. I fear they'll get lost in time in a bit. AI is going to generate new "Beatles" songs and successive generations won't know the difference.
It's a bookend, which is why it's paired with "Love Me Do,' the band's first release.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

It's no Monkeys "That Was Then, This Is Now"........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7NuBTmQ7g
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

That Monkees song was a cover, The Mosquitos did it originally the year before.

It only had two of them on it, Nesmith didn’t give a fuck and Davy refused to do it because he wanted more money. He used to leave the stage on the 86 tour in protest because he wanted absolutely nothing to do with it.
Last edited by BernieTaupson on Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Today at work they had on the Sirius channel the Blend and they played it! I was very surprised!
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Another song I look forward to not listening to.

And don't diss the Monkees!
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

SeniorGrande wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:04 am
And don't diss the Monkees!
Even if they deserve it?

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

No love for Davy coming back from the dead with Neil Diamond's Love To Love? https://youtu.be/9w1SYiyUzcA?si=tOj1HVDg0y0ebeVy
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Mr. Snuffy
Recording Your Demo

Post by Mr. Snuffy »

Great Cheap Trick B side
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Solo Beatles stuff can be sketchy. This is a demo that Lennon didn't feel was good enough to make into a real song so he gave it to McCartney, and it shows.

Terrible song, terrible idea to bring it back to life in 2023.

These fuckers are LEGENDARY. They should just continue to do their own thing and keep The Beatles name in the past where it belongs.