VH top 50 on Spotify

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Post Reply
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:09 am
Location: Vegas

VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by BernieTaupson »

Image
ROADHEAD wrote: I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote: I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote: QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!
User avatar
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:13 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

The top 5 are as I expected, but there's a few surprises elsewhere on the list. I thought "Poundcake" would have been higher up, for instance.
User avatar
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act
Posts: 4774
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Love me some Van Hagar but it’s not exactly dominating the Top 10 here.

Very surprised that Can’t Stop Lovin’ You is the second most streamed Van Hagar song, and by quite a large margin at that compared to the #3 Sammy song (Dreams).
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:09 am
Location: Vegas

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by BernieTaupson »

The Hagar stuff will have had a blip with the new remasters coming out. I remember when Ed died, there were ten VH songs in the top twenty or whatever it was and every single one was Roth except for WCTBL.
ROADHEAD wrote: I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote: I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote: QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!
User avatar
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist
Posts: 10128
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Mister Freeze »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:00 pm Very surprised that Can’t Stop Lovin’ You is the second most streamed Van Hagar song...

Was thinking the same. I'm a Van Hagar fan too, and that one's even too cheesy for me.

Sometimes I think certain songs do higher-than-expected numbers on Spotify because they end up on popular compilation playlists. "Rock of the '90s" and shit like that.

Then again, I'm always surprised Balance (with one pop radio hit) sold about as much as F.U.C.K. (with 3-4 great rock singles). That band had their fanbase locked-in during the '90s and totally fucked it up.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
User avatar
GreatWhiteSnake
Platinum Artist
Posts: 10995
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Hell, CA Population 4

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

By my count 16 Van Hagar. Sounds about right, maybe a bit high...
User avatar
Bono Nettencourt
Debut Album Goes Gold
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

"Little Guitars" sitting in the middle of the list gives me hope for humanity. So does the absence of "Feels So Good".
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
User avatar
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act
Posts: 4774
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:05 am
Then again, I'm always surprised Balance (with one pop radio hit) sold about as much as F.U.C.K. (with 3-4 great rock singles). That band had their fanbase locked-in during the '90s and totally fucked it up.

*in Wayne’s World voice* I was not aware of that! Love both albums pretty equally for different reasons but I was always under the impression that Balance was somewhat of a flop for them.

Somewhat related, I’m very surprised that Right Now is #12 here and the #3 for Sammy? I thought that song/video was a colossal hit for them.

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:29 am "Little Guitars" sitting in the middle of the list gives me hope for humanity. So does the absence of "Feels So Good".

Same, same.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
User avatar
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 3183
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 am

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by FreddyFender »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:00 am
Somewhat related, I’m very surprised that Right Now is #12 here and the #3 for Sammy? I thought that song/video was a colossal hit for them.
I thought so too.... it was all over MTV and wasn't it the clear Pepsi song? :lol:

But according to Billboard it didn't even hit the top 40. Peaked at 55.

https://www.billboard.com/artist/van-ha ... story/hsi/

But maybe my perception is warped because I thought Right Now was one of the best Sammy-era songs, so it stood out to me.

EDIT: yup, it was the in the Pepsi ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPvyq_KmXhc
User avatar
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act
Posts: 4774
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by SterileEyes1 »

^^^

Yeah, the Pepsi thing, the video was huge (Video Of The Year at the VMAs I think?) I once had a shirt that had the VH logo and every caption from that video printed on it. They opened the Balance tour with it. I figured it was the most successful Sammy era song, and by far! I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again…
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act
Posts: 4625
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:19 am

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by daveg »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:42 am ^^^

Yeah, the Pepsi thing, the video was huge (Video Of The Year at the VMAs I think?) I once had a shirt that had the VH logo and every caption from that video printed on it. They opened the Balance tour with it. I figured it was the most successful Sammy era song, and by far! I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again…
As someone said above, a lot of this depends on spotify playlists. Can't stop Loving you was on a classic rock playlist that I used to use for background party music. Was all the normal stuff.. Jump / Sweet Chlld / Pour some Sugar etc. All the big ones, Can't stop Loving you never seemed to belong on that list, but I'm sure got tons of plays because of it over the years.

I remember Right Now, being all over the video stations, but not really played on the radio. Poundcake, Runaround, were played all the time and Top of the World probably played more than Right Now.
User avatar
Bono Nettencourt
Debut Album Goes Gold
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Without extensively cataloging the whole thing, it kinda breaks down like this:

VH I, II, and 1984 all almost in their entirety
About 1/2 of 5150
3-4 songs each from the rest of the Dave and Van Hagar albums, with an emphasis on the chart singles, as you would expect.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
kanister
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2750
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:34 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by kanister »

daveg wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:59 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:42 am ^^^

Yeah, the Pepsi thing, the video was huge (Video Of The Year at the VMAs I think?) I once had a shirt that had the VH logo and every caption from that video printed on it. They opened the Balance tour with it. I figured it was the most successful Sammy era song, and by far! I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again…
As someone said above, a lot of this depends on spotify playlists. Can't stop Loving you was on a classic rock playlist that I used to use for background party music. Was all the normal stuff.. Jump / Sweet Chlld / Pour some Sugar etc. All the big ones, Can't stop Loving you never seemed to belong on that list, but I'm sure got tons of plays because of it over the years.

I remember Right Now, being all over the video stations, but not really played on the radio. Poundcake, Runaround, were played all the time and Top of the World probably played more than Right Now.

Can't Stop Loving You is also pretty popular song in European rock radio. Probably Van Hagar`s best known song after WCTBL. You almost never hear When It`s Love or Right Now. Poundcake sometimes.
User avatar
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Posts: 12657
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine
Contact:

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Uh-oh, nothing from ADKoT, Wolfie's gonna go out on an angry food binge.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:09 am
Location: Vegas

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by BernieTaupson »

ADKOT hasn’t been on Spotify for six months, and he doesn’t need an excuse to go on an angry food binge.
ROADHEAD wrote: I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote: I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote: QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!
User avatar
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist
Posts: 10128
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Mister Freeze »

I've always thought "Right Now" was Van Hagar's best moment. Even my wife (who, as documented on this board, has no interest in hard rock or heavy metal) calls it "a great song". Everybody knows it. Politicians use it for rallies, etc.

It's one of those songs that's bigger than its chart position. (Kind of like "You Shook Me All Night Long," which peaked at like #34 or something.)
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
User avatar
Bono Nettencourt
Debut Album Goes Gold
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

RN had the world by the balls for the 1st part of 92... then they tried to use it to sell clear Pepsi.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
User avatar
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act
Posts: 4774
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by SterileEyes1 »

kanister wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:11 pm
Can't Stop Loving You is also pretty popular song in European rock radio. Probably Van Hagar`s best known song after WCTBL. You almost never hear When It`s Love or Right Now. Poundcake sometimes.

This is something that surprises me to learn as well.

Literally my only knowledge of Van Halen (or at least Van Hagar)’s relationship with Europe is that they opened for Bon Jovi during the Balance era, so I’m surprised they ever had any sort of hit going for them out there.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
User avatar
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Posts: 12657
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine
Contact:

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Psychobolia.com »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:09 pm ADKOT hasn’t been on Spotify for six months, and he doesn’t need an excuse to go on an angry food binge.
Ah yes... I vaguely recall reading about this recently.

My top 50 wouldn't include any of it anyway, or any Van Hagar for that matter aside from Source of Infection maybe.
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:09 am
Location: Vegas

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by BernieTaupson »

No Learning To See or Big Fat Money?
ROADHEAD wrote: I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote: I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote: QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!
User avatar
Bono Nettencourt
Debut Album Goes Gold
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:13 am No Learning To See or Big Fat Money?
Wham, Bam!
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
kanister
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2750
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:34 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by kanister »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:50 pm
kanister wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:11 pm
Can't Stop Loving You is also pretty popular song in European rock radio. Probably Van Hagar`s best known song after WCTBL. You almost never hear When It`s Love or Right Now. Poundcake sometimes.

This is something that surprises me to learn as well.

Literally my only knowledge of Van Halen (or at least Van Hagar)’s relationship with Europe is that they opened for Bon Jovi during the Balance era, so I’m surprised they ever had any sort of hit going for them out there.
They really dropped the ball when they chose to dis Europe for 9 years after Roth left. DLR was much more visible here and probably sold more records. But the VH bros were probably content with being a household name in US and were not bothered.

VH never did a big successful headline tour in Europe. Only half assed promo tour of the live album, a handful of Bon Jovi support gigs and the Cherone tour in my understanding. They could have become huge here had they done a full production headline tour after the Monster of Rock dates in 1984/1985 or even with Sammy for 5150 tour. When they came with Cherone their draw was lower than Dave had on Skyscraper and ALAE tours. It was too late.
User avatar
GreatWhiteSnake
Platinum Artist
Posts: 10995
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Hell, CA Population 4

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

kanister wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:19 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:50 pm
kanister wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:11 pm
Can't Stop Loving You is also pretty popular song in European rock radio. Probably Van Hagar`s best known song after WCTBL. You almost never hear When It`s Love or Right Now. Poundcake sometimes.

This is something that surprises me to learn as well.

Literally my only knowledge of Van Halen (or at least Van Hagar)’s relationship with Europe is that they opened for Bon Jovi during the Balance era, so I’m surprised they ever had any sort of hit going for them out there.
They really dropped the ball when they chose to dis Europe for 9 years after Roth left. DLR was much more visible here and probably sold more records. But the VH bros were probably content with being a household name in US and were not bothered.

VH never did a big successful headline tour in Europe. Only half assed promo tour of the live album, a handful of Bon Jovi support gigs and the Cherone tour in my understanding. They could have become huge here had they done a full production headline tour after the Monster of Rock dates in 1984/1985 or even with Sammy for 5150 tour. When they came with Cherone their draw was lower than Dave had on Skyscraper and ALAE tours. It was too late.
Not a big college continent...
User avatar
Bono Nettencourt
Debut Album Goes Gold
Posts: 3978
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Re: VH top 50 on Spotify

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

kanister wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:19 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:50 pm
kanister wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:11 pm
Can't Stop Loving You is also pretty popular song in European rock radio. Probably Van Hagar`s best known song after WCTBL. You almost never hear When It`s Love or Right Now. Poundcake sometimes.

This is something that surprises me to learn as well.

Literally my only knowledge of Van Halen (or at least Van Hagar)’s relationship with Europe is that they opened for Bon Jovi during the Balance era, so I’m surprised they ever had any sort of hit going for them out there.
They really dropped the ball when they chose to dis Europe for 9 years after Roth left. DLR was much more visible here and probably sold more records. But the VH bros were probably content with being a household name in US and were not bothered.

VH never did a big successful headline tour in Europe. Only half assed promo tour of the live album, a handful of Bon Jovi support gigs and the Cherone tour in my understanding. They could have become huge here had they done a full production headline tour after the Monster of Rock dates in 1984/1985 or even with Sammy for 5150 tour. When they came with Cherone their draw was lower than Dave had on Skyscraper and ALAE tours. It was too late.
It was the bros. DLR wanted them to tour the world but they weren't into it, which is ironic since they're the sons of 2 expats, not him.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Post Reply