Who likes VH II better than VH I?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

What's your fave?

VH I
52%
VH II
48%

Total votes: 58
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Who likes VH II better than VH I?

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Who likes VH II better than VH I?

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

both great albums but i went with 1.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

Fuck...this is like choosing between children. Both are perfect, but I'll go for the debut as it came first.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Out of the first 6 albums, II would probably be my least favorite. Love it, but if I ranked them, it would be last.
zz666
Headlining Clubs

Post by zz666 »

VHII is my fave Van Halen album.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Just like how Wish You Were Here is better than Dark Side.

It's incredibly close, I've got them both as 5 Star records. But probably due to radio burnout, I'd much rather hear DOA or LIght Up the Sky than anything on VHI.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:44 am Just like how Wish You Were Here is better than Dark Side.

It's incredibly close, I've got them both as 5 Star records. But probably due to radio burnout, I'd much rather hear DOA or LIght Up the Sky than anything on VHI.
Burnout is really the only reason why anyone would choose II over I. VH I is clearly the dominate one.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

This might sound crazy, but to me VHII is the perfect summer album, while VHI is more of a winter album. Dunno why, but that is how I always felt.
Same for Diver Down : summer album.
So my favorite changes with the seasons.
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

I love them both, and "Dance The Night Away" is my favorite VH song of all-time, but the first album is perfect.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Metal Judge
Headlining Clubs

Post by Metal Judge »

I also like VHII better over VHI
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

The debut was the album that changed how rock guitar was played, but II still has more good songs than I. VHII for me
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

I don’t like either just same amount of boredom
Worshipping Van Halen dodged that bullet in life thank God
Van Halen super fans are mostly miserable people with Al Bundy life

Saigon Kick 1 vs Saigon Kick 2
Just started SK1 on beach walk this morning
Clear skies and fun
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

The famous saying is that you have your entire life to write your first album and six months to write your next one. I feel like that happened with all of the VH records... the Dave ones at least.

They all have moments of greatness but lots of filler. VHII has the least amount of filler but just doesn't have the urgency of the debut. I'm sticking with the debut.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

Alex' work on II makes it the best VH record, for me
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

light up the sky is my favorite vh tune ever...d.m.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

Dance the Night Away and Beautiful Girls are the worst tunes of the Roth era VH
VH II is the worst album of Roth era VH, maybe even if ADKOT is included.

Have I answered the question here? :)
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Van Halen II was the first VH album I ever owned, so there's a sentimental attachment.

And half of the debut album has been played to death by classic rock radio. So, II for me.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I always loved "D.O.A." One of their most overlooked songs.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:11 pm I always loved "D.O.A." One of their most overlooked songs.
Agreed. Great chugging guitar riff on that one.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Objectively, VH I is the better album, but I'm also burned out on the overexposure I suffered from hearing those tunes on the radio constantly.

VH I also packs way way more energy than VH II, I mean the album starts out quietly with You're No Good, whereas Running with the Devil is a loud and proud "The party is starting!!!!"
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah I remember Templeman telling a story about their version of You're No Good - he heard them playing it and said, "what is that?"
"It's You're No Good - the Linda Ronstadt song."
"Doesn't sound like it to me."
Then he said, "We put it on the record anyway."
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

The original House of Pain with the Running with The Devil horns should have been on the first album. Kicks the fuck out of the 1984 version.

Thread answer: its gotta be VH1. Even though II has Somebody Get me a doctor and D.O.A.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:43 am The famous saying is that you have your entire life to write your first album and six months to write your next one. I feel like that happened with all of the VH records... the Dave ones at least.
The only problem with this wrt Van Halen is that they basically had the first 4-5 albums written in 1976.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:14 pm Yeah I remember Templeman telling a story about their version of You're No Good - he heard them playing it and said, "what is that?"
"It's You're No Good - the Linda Ronstadt song."
"Doesn't sound like it to me."
Then he said, "We put it on the record anyway."
Not sure how accurate that is. WB demanded they do another cover song after the success of YRGM. So they turned their original song Down In Flames into a cover of You’re No Good.

And later reworked the original song into Tattoo.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:44 am Just like how Wish You Were Here is better than Dark Side.

wish u were here stomps the shit outta dark side
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

aznsquirt wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:43 pm
DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:43 am The famous saying is that you have your entire life to write your first album and six months to write your next one. I feel like that happened with all of the VH records... the Dave ones at least.
The only problem with this wrt Van Halen is that they basically had the first 4-5 albums written in 1976.
Yep. VH I and II were basically re-recorded demos. Then they had to write a little more for WACF/FW and DD was almost all covers. 1984 was pretty much the 1st album that they did totally from scratch, and that even had House of Pain, which altho heavily rearranged still grew out of an old song. That's how they kept the year-in-year out album/tour cycle going for so long - they were sitting on 3 years worth of material from the club days.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

The irony of doing a bunch of cover tunes for DD when there were at least a dozen quality tunes that they had demoed years before and never used for anything. House of Pain, Bullethead, Down In Flames (Tattoo), Big Trouble (Big River), Put Out The Lights (Beats Workin) …
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:43 am
aznsquirt wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:43 pm
Yep. VH I and II were basically re-recorded demos. Then they had to write a little more for WACF/FW and DD was almost all covers. 1984 was pretty much the 1st album that they did totally from scratch, and that even had House of Pain, which altho heavily rearranged still grew out of an old song.
GGB was played live as an instrumental in 1982 and the music to Jump was also supposedly written around 1981 so not entirely from scratch. There was less recycled demo music on Fair Warning, only parts of Mean Street were frankensteined together from the demos for She's the Woman and Voodoo Queen (unless I forgot something...). WACF had 4 songs from 77 or before, and DD.. oh well. Only two proper songs "Secrets" and "Little Guitars" that weren't covers or recycled demos.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

News to me that Full Bug and Hang Em High were demoed before 82?
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:09 pm News to me that Full Bug and Hang Em High were demoed before 82?
Hang 'Em High was Last Night on the 1977 Warner Bros demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6RzJKtV52o

I like the people who bitched that A Different King Of Truth was just old demos when that's what Van Halen always did. They even reworked an old song on Balance in 1995, which was "Take Me Back (Deja Vu). That was called "Show No Mercy" and it was being played in 1977. They always reworked old shit. Every album had old shit that they reworked and kept going back to until they got it how they wanted it.