Kerry King's comeback

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Kerry King's comeback

Post by Anthrax442 »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:31 am
Michael Hotts Ghost wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:22 pm If Holt is involved I could see them getting Rob Dukes.
Nah, that would be too Exodusy (3/5ths of the Shovel-Headed Kill Machine lineup), and KK wouldn't want another bald tough guy in the band, esp. one that's bigger than him.

He should get Pete Helmkamp from Angelcorpse. The guy plays bass at the same time, has a great "voice" and writes lyrics. Oh wait, he's bald too, nevermind... But a bass playing singer is a must, they won't be able to afford a fifth guy.
I agree with everything in this post. I don't see Dukes ever getting a high profile gig again.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Don't call it a comeback? And who doesn't want to hear Kerry King play ALL the notes??
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:44 pm I never got Slayer... ever... not even for a minute.

Absolutely No songs... or at least nothing that is discernible from noise.

Metallica stands out, head and tales above those other 3... and it's why they are as big as they are.

IMO, Slayer is the bottom of those 4... by a mile and I don't care for Anthrax or Megadeth either.

Kerry King... I have casually been around him a few times, and every time he seemed angry, miserable and def has short man's complex.

While they didn't dress like the Vinnie Vincent Invasion, much-like Pantera, Slayer too wore Zebra striped clothes, stretchy black Spandex pants, wrist bands, studs, and scarfs around their neck, legs and the rest... just like Def Leppard, Motley Crue and Ratt.

All had goofy long hair too...

$tEvil
I agree with most of this. Slayer is noise salad. Just awful to my ears.

But I do like Megadeth and Anthrax.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Michael Hotts Ghost wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:22 pm How long til a KKKK tour?? ... KKs Priest and Kerrys Kings (Kerrys Klowns)... throw in Newsted opening with Kings of Thrash (Kings of Wank) Dave Ellefson / Jeff Young...

If Holt is involved I could see them getting Rob Dukes.
I’m thinking KKK (Kerry king’s klowns)
Psychobolia.com
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Indy_Rob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:22 am
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:44 pm I never got Slayer... ever... not even for a minute.

Metallica stands out, head and tales above those other 3... and it's why they are as big as they are.

IMO, Slayer is the bottom of those 4... by a mile and I don't care for Anthrax or Megadeth either.

Kerry King... I have casually been around him a few times, and every time he seemed angry, miserable and def has short man's complex.

While they didn't dress like the Vinnie Vincent Invasion, much-like Pantera, Slayer too wore Zebra striped clothes, stretchy black Spandex pants, wrist bands, studs, and scarfs around their neck, legs and the rest... just like Def Leppard, Motley Crue and Ratt.

$tEvil

Nonsense!

Slayer were awesome right out the gate. Every album up to and including Seasons in the Abyss showed some genuine evolution from the previous album, Rick Rubin helped them tighten up their sound, they were able to maintain a stable lineup, no bullshit dictator (Megadeth!), no silly beach shorts (Anthrax!), and of course there's tons of killer songs across most of their albums (the decline didn't start until their 7th album, Diabolus in Musica, in my book).

If you think they're noise, that's fine, that's your opinion. Noise in my book is Napalm Death or the first 2 Carcass albums, or most grindcore acts... But Jeff Hanneman's songs were brilliant, more so than KK's admitedly, and if the big 4 had to be ranked, they're second only to Metallica, there's a reason why Megadeth opened up for Slayer when the 2 toured Europe together a dozen or so years ago. Anthrax are just too goofy and dysfunctional; their greatest hits fits on a cassingle!

Kendall says hi!

Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:07 am

$tEvil

Nonsense!

Slayer were awesome right out the gate. Every album up to and including Seasons in the Abyss showed some genuine evolution from the previous album, Rick Rubin helped them tighten up their sound, they were able to maintain a stable lineup, no bullshit dictator (Megadeth!), no silly beach shorts (Anthrax!), and of course there's tons of killer songs across most of their albums (the decline didn't start until their 7th album, Diabolus in Musica, in my book).

If you think they're noise, that's fine, that's your opinion. Noise in my book is Napalm Death or the first 2 Carcass albums, or most grindcore acts... But Jeff Hanneman's songs were brilliant, more so than KK's admitedly, and if the big 4 had to be ranked, they're second only to Metallica, there's a reason why Megadeth opened up for Slayer when the 2 toured Europe together a dozen or so years ago. Anthrax are just too goofy and dysfunctional; their greatest hits fits on a cassingle!

Kendall says hi!

I respect your enthusiasm, but I just can’t get into Slayer. I’ve tried. Just doesn’t work for me.

That said, I’d pork Kendall.
Mr. Snuffy
Recording Your Demo

Post by Mr. Snuffy »

KK's singer in his new band is Mark from Death Angel. Or at least that was the original plan.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Mr. Snuffy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:50 pm KK's singer in his new band is Mark from Death Angel. Or at least that was the original plan.
Really? Huh, that's a better/higher profile vocalist than I was expecting.
Bassmaster1984

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Slayer was AWESOME from the debut through Diabulous. Funny how everybody praises Jeff and his talents yet rip in the Diabulous album which Jeff wrote most of and Kerry did nothing on. After Diabulous they turned into a noise band and seemed to turn away from melody and more cookie cutter screaming vocals. Band dysfunction did them in and Tom lost total interest in doing it anymore.
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

Bassmaster1984 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:04 am Slayer was AWESOME from the debut through Diabulous. Funny how everybody praises Jeff and his talents yet rip in the Diabulous album which Jeff wrote most of and Kerry did nothing on. After Diabulous they turned into a noise band and seemed to turn away from melody and more cookie cutter screaming vocals. Band dysfunction did them in and Tom lost total interest in doing it anymore.
I dunno, World Painted Blood had some really strong songs.

What I find remarkable is the whitewashing of Jeff Hahnemann's last days. He was not rehabbing his arm and trying to rebuild his strength. He had left his wife and was running around with the singer from Nashville Pussy. This was an open secret but rarely discussed, and it has been scrubbed from all mentions of Jeff after his death. I realize it's not cool to trash a guy in death, but don't sanctify him either when he sure didn't deserve it
DrLoveMunster
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by DrLoveMunster »

Traxan wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:14 pm
Bassmaster1984 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:04 am
What I find remarkable is the whitewashing of Jeff Hahnemann's last days. He was not rehabbing his arm and trying to rebuild his strength. He had left his wife and was running around with the singer from Nashville Pussy. This was an open secret but rarely discussed, and it has been scrubbed from all mentions of Jeff after his death. I realize it's not cool to trash a guy in death, but don't sanctify him either when he sure didn't deserve it
Wait, WTF? Jeff Hanneman was banging Blaine Cartwright!?! :shock:
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Is Kerry pissed that Corey Feldman beat him to the "Comeback King" title?
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
Borges
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Borges »

The first 6 Slayer albums are all great. Diabolus was a big step down, but still OK. GHUA was crap. Christ Illusion was decent, World Painted Blood was good, Repentless sucked.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Outside of their final tour and festivals, Slayer wasn't playing massive venues.

You know where they played when they came around my way on the Repentless tour? The Arizona State Fair. :lol:

With Tom or without him, they're going to be playing a few arenas and a lot of theaters after the first "comeback" tour.. if they were to bring back that name.

The thing that has me confused is I'm sure Tom has some ownership of the name, where they'd have to pay him a cut if they went out as Slayer. But even giving up a chunk of that money, you'd think it would still do better than under some new name.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

FreddyFender wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:02 am
The thing that has me confused is I'm sure Tom has some ownership of the name, where they'd have to pay him a cut if they went out as Slayer. But even giving up a chunk of that money, you'd think it would still do better than under some new name.
Tom's been there since the beginning. I've got a feeling that he probably simply doesn't want to see a version of "Slayer" without him, regardless of the money.

I think if there was going to have been some sort of reunion or performance as Slayer, it would have been at Power Trip, it would have had to have been something really BIG.
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Traxan wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:14 pm
Bassmaster1984 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:04 am Slayer was AWESOME from the debut through Diabulous. Funny how everybody praises Jeff and his talents yet rip in the Diabulous album which Jeff wrote most of and Kerry did nothing on. After Diabulous they turned into a noise band and seemed to turn away from melody and more cookie cutter screaming vocals. Band dysfunction did them in and Tom lost total interest in doing it anymore.
I dunno, World Painted Blood had some really strong songs.

So a guy is a piece of shit because he leaves his wife?
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

Mr. Snuffy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:50 pm KK's singer in his new band is Mark from Death Angel. Or at least that was the original plan.
if he were to make it work with Death Angel's schedule, that would be awesome.

if not, I'd rather keep Death Angel.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:02 pm
So a guy is a piece of shit because he leaves his wife?
It was more Slayer kept pushing this story that Jeff wasn't in the band anymore because of a spider bite, which was made up. Bit by a spider or not, that wasn't why he was on the sidelines for years before he died.

He wasn't in the band anymore because he was in the throes of alcoholism. And it eventually killed him.

So it was weird to read statements from his wife that he was working on recovering from a spider bite, when there would be photos of him out partying with the girl from Nashville Pussy who he was obviously in a relationship with. It was just strange.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

FreddyFender wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:09 pm
So it was weird to read statements from his wife that he was working on recovering from a spider bite, when there would be photos of him out partying with the girl from Nashville Pussy who he was obviously in a relationship with. It was just strange.
I'd never heard that aspect of it, but yeah, supposedly he was a "drinking a handle of vodka for breakfast" alcoholic. Chances of coming back from that aren't good as a rule.
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:22 am I'd never heard that aspect of it, but yeah, supposedly he was a "drinking a handle of vodka for breakfast" alcoholic. Chances of coming back from that aren't good as a rule.
As Warrel Dane found out. Can't believe it's been six years.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

The only confirmed member of this I've heard is Paul Bostaph. Not a peep about Death Angel singer or Gary Holt.

If true, I think Mark singing would be pretty interesting and I could see him pulling off the old Slayer stuff fairly well.

I'm not sure Holt would be interested. I think Exodus would be on the same level as a Kerry King solo project right now, so why bother? Looking back at his time in Slayer he wasn't allowed to write any riffs or contribute song ideas for the Repentless album even though he had already been in the band for some time. He wrote his solos and that's it.

At least in Exodus he calls the shots. Why leave that for another club level band that's 100% a Kerry King solo project where Holt plays second fiddle.

Here's King's new band logo:

Michael Hotts Ghost
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

I will be surprised if this project is anything other than doomed from the start...

Its either going to be originals that sound like Repentless reject songs or some Five Finger Bro Punch shart
Mr. Snuffy
Recording Your Demo

Post by Mr. Snuffy »

Gary Holt is 100% not involved in this project
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:07 am

$tEvil

Nonsense!

Kendall says hi!

kendall is a good looking lady.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Lobo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:32 pm The only confirmed member of this I've heard is Paul Bostaph. Not a peep about Death Angel singer or Gary Holt.
I heard early rumors about Mark too. That being said, I have a very reliable source on who one of the prospective guitar players is.

Apparently, part of the reason a full lineup hasn't been announced is that Kerry's been trying to decide between an "All Star Supergroup" type lineup and just putting the best band he can around himself. And allegedly there's additionally been a delay on whether his chosen "big name guitar player" can commit.
Psychobolia.com
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

aznsquirt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:03 am
Lobo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:32 pm The only confirmed member of this I've heard is Paul Bostaph. Not a peep about Death Angel singer or Gary Holt.
I heard early rumors about Mark too. That being said, I have a very reliable source on who one of the prospective guitar players is.
C'mon, who is it. This is the gossip board, we'll keep it a secret.
metalslayer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by metalslayer »

Mr. Snuffy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:26 am Gary Holt is 100% not involved in this project
Yep, he confirmed this….
ElectrickMagick
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ElectrickMagick »

I have to think King could put a new band together and call it "Reign in Blood" and play festivals and clubs/theaters anywhere else. It wouldn't be Slayer money, but as the guy in charge it would still be a hefty chunk of change for him, and I could see Slayer fans being happy with it. Calling it "Reign in Blood" or something of that nature would make it very clear that it was a Slayer-related project with Slayer songs.

I'm with the CEO though, I never got Slayer. I always liked Anthrax better because of the vocals.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:16 am
aznsquirt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:03 am
C'mon, who is it. This is the gossip board, we'll keep it a secret.
Haha, I almost didn't say anything because I hate not being able to spill the beans, and don't want to be "that guy". I don't know the name of "well known" guitar player I mentioned, and don't want to try and guess, but the lesser known guitar player is a bay area guy a little younger than all the O.G.s but is well known around here (and has played with Bostaph and briefly with some of the OG bay area bands), but is relatively unknown otherwise.

He'd be a perfect fit IMO, but he'd be a "new, unknown guy" to everyone outside of the bay.
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

aznsquirt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:48 pm Haha, I almost didn't say anything because I hate not being able to spill the beans, and don't want to be "that guy". I don't know the name of "well known" guitar player I mentioned, and don't want to try and guess, but the lesser known guitar player is a bay area guy a little younger than all the O.G.s but is well known around here (and has played with Bostaph and briefly with some of the OG bay area bands), but is relatively unknown otherwise.

He'd be a perfect fit IMO, but he'd be a "new, unknown guy" to everyone outside of the bay.
He wouldn't be the skinny dude from Gurschach would he?