What is Kip Winger’s deal?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Re: What is Kip Winger’s deal?

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

SikkiNixx wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:50 pm
sicktwistedfreak wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:40 pm Worked with Winger when I was working for Atlantic Records and he never gave off a weird vibe to me. I think he's just a very direct person and seems to lean more on the serious side. Always came across as thoughtful and very smart.

Reb and Rod were over the top nice and it made working with them a pleasure!!
Hey dude, .... When did you stop working for Atlantic Records?? Did you work at the NYC office in the Sony building on Maddison Ave (I believe)??
I stopped working for Atlantic in 1996, but I worked out of a home office. I reported into Jason Linn [at the NYC office], who was my boss and an all around great guy.
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

sicktwistedfreak wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:55 pm
SikkiNixx wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:50 pm
sicktwistedfreak wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:40 pm Worked with Winger when I was working for Atlantic Records and he never gave off a weird vibe to me. I think he's just a very direct person and seems to lean more on the serious side. Always came across as thoughtful and very smart.

Reb and Rod were over the top nice and it made working with them a pleasure!!
Hey dude, .... When did you stop working for Atlantic Records?? Did you work at the NYC office in the Sony building on Maddison Ave (I believe)??
I stopped working for Atlantic in 1996, but I worked out of a home office. I reported into Jason Linn [at the NYC office], who was my boss and an all around great guy.
Reported into him, eh? 😉
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Like all his deals, VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:28 am What did he think was gonna happen? He got a bunch of studio cats together to chase the latest trend and cash in. It's not like they were making some kind of art that suddenly went over the publics head. Was all gonna end sometime and he got 2 more platinum records than a lot of bands doing the same thing did. If he was really all that he would've been able to go forward with his own style. He was lucky and connected enough to be in the right place at the right time.
Paul and Rod were studio cats? That’s the first I’ve heard. Paul was a member of Aldo Nova’s backing band before getting the Alice gig at the beginning of the second half of the 80s. The Alice gig is how Paul and Kip met. Other than that gig, Kip really wasn’t a sideman like Paul was.

Rod was a prog rock and fusion guy who recorded and toured with Steve Morse in the 70s and 80s. It’s a little hard to be a ghost when you’re constantly recording in your own band and on the road like Rod and Paul were, respectively. Both Rod and Steve were rock fans and musicians too, obviously. Steve was in Deep Purple and Kansas for how long? It’s not fair to hammer Rod just because he can play and is a fan of different genres.

Kip and Reb were the two studio guys. Kip and Reb both worked with Beau Hill. That’s how they met, IIRC. Kip co-wrote a Kix song that Beau was producing. Reb was the youngest guy in the band. Sure, he is influenced by Larry Carlton but he’s also influenced by Van Halen, Rhoads, Lynch, ZZ Top, Hatchet and Sammy Hagar. I don’t get the criticism.

Kip had been trying to get a record deal since the early 80s. He played with his brothers first in Colorado and then moved to New York and started working with Beau Hill. A guy has to pay the bills and eat. He didn’t meet Paul until the Alice gig in ‘86 but didn’t stick with the gig as long because he was writing and demoing songs with Reb and they were trying to get a deal. I don’t see how that is some, big, fake, manufactured thing.

How was the dartboard thing fair? Especially given where Metallica was at the time in their life and career writing sackless shiite like Nothing Else Matters. I’ve never seen a band cut off their balls in such a blatant, desperate attempt at mainstream success in my life as Metallica’s from 1991-1995.

The Beavis and Butthead thing said a lot more about Generation X then it did about Winger.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

GoodJudge wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:39 am What's his deal? It's because anyone in the real world that even remembers Winger does so for 1 of 3 reasons:

Beavis + Butthead
Lars' dartboard
Cutting down the sleeves and collars of his t-shirts to a thin strap

The music? Not really. There was no More Than Words or To Be With You or even Silent Lucidity that broke out of the genre and still gets put on soft rock compilations, let alone anything harder. He had a decent run for what it was, and did better than most. But it's still.just forgettable bubblegum.
I remember them being one of the best live bands of the genre with three solid albums and memorable songs. Kip’s ballet trip was a tad annoying. But compared to the antics and likes of Stanley, Roth, Snider, Dubrow, Dokken, Pearcy, Tramp, Miracles, Rose, Gary and Geoff, Kip came off looking like Paul DiAnno at the peak of his career in Maiden.

Tate looked and acted like an 18th century French hooker for over half the time.