VAN AWESOME ….. Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham and Joe Satriani ‘The Best Of All Worlds’ 2024 Tour

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: VAN AWESOME ….. Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham and Joe Satriani ‘The Best Of All Worlds’ 2024 Tour

Post by BernieTaupson »

The Waboretards : Best of Both Worlds.

Easily the best one so far but it’s still pretty tentative. You can tell this is going to be a half-ass thing, Sam smokes too much pot to make it be a tight ship.

https://youtu.be/_McrKz17ZvU?si=2FF29u2WGDHfOyVK
Last edited by BernieTaupson on Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BernieTaupson

Re: VAN AWESOME ….. Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham and Joe Satriani ‘The Best Of All Worlds’ 2024 Tour

Post by BernieTaupson »

TheCULTofMANSON wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm
BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 pm The solo aside, Joe was fucking terrible on that. You’d think they’d nail it in rehearsals before playing it in front of millions of people on Stern.
You’re drunk
Bro I jammed it in my garage when I was a kid more accurately than that.

Hell, the guy on Sludge that filmed a jam of five VH songs in his apartment as a tribute to Ed when he died and he was drinking beer in between each song and getting progressively more drunk played it more accurately than that.
Metal Judge
Headlining Clubs

Post by Metal Judge »

Could it be that John Deacon and Alex Van Halen are the two smartest rock stars on the planet?
Last edited by Metal Judge on Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Van Chickencircle : Good Enough

https://youtu.be/Ke9TYDgya1M?si=3IfQ2shebvX8OvBm

Pretty good. If Satch can just do all the stupid guitar heroics instead of having to play something with any feeling then he’s great.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

I hope they rehearse... a Lot... because their appearance on Stern was not even slightly impressive.
Metal Judge
Headlining Clubs

Post by Metal Judge »

Am I the only one that thinks this Sammy, Michael band sucks? I mean this bands songs all sound the same.
Sammy kicked major ass in his early years but all his music in his older years are all so fucking boring.
Nibbler
Forming a Band

Post by Nibbler »

You’d think Satriani would have more respect for himself or for Ed than to show up and play like that. John5 or Nuno would have been a better choice, this is just Chickenshit with a different drummer. And they already toured with a different drummer and still called it Chickenshit in the past.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Nibbler wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:36 am You’d think Satriani would have more respect for himself or for Ed than to show up and play like that.
TF you kidding? If he's selling his doodles for money like Paula, he's not going to turn down a summer shed tour...
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

Nibbler wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:36 am You’d think Satriani would have more respect for himself or for Ed than to show up and play like that. John5 or Nuno would have been a better choice, this is just Chickenshit with a different drummer. And they already toured with a different drummer and still called it Chickenshit in the past.
Nuno would have been the perfect choice IMO. He's a huge EVH fan, has that natural rhythm in his playing and more than enough technique to pull it off.
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

Nibbler wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:36 am You’d think Satriani would have more respect for himself or for Ed than to show up and play like that. John5 or Nuno would have been a better choice, this is just Chickenshit with a different drummer. And they already toured with a different drummer and still called it Chickenshit in the past.
Nuno would have been the perfect choice IMO. He's a huge EVH fan, has that natural rhythm in his playing and more than enough technique to pull it off.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:21 pm Pretty good. If Satch can just do all the stupid guitar heroics instead of having to play something with any feeling then he’s great.
This is why I never got into him. Zero feeling, just technical crap that gets old.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

cowpins wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:25 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:21 pm Pretty good. If Satch can just do all the stupid guitar heroics instead of having to play something with any feeling then he’s great.
This is why I never got into him. Zero feeling, just technical crap that gets old.
That's a pretty unfair dismissal. Instrumentals are hard to write. The early stuff Satch, Vai, Yngwie did was groundbreaking and innovative. You can only go so far with it til you start repeating yourself. Satch had a good 10 year run from 86-95, longer than anyone else in that genre. Surfing is a guitar classic, like someone threw EVH, ZZ Top, Yngwie, and the Ventures in a blender. The songs had groove. It was just hard for him to keep coming up with newer, cooler stuff, like it is for most artists.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:50 am
cowpins wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:25 am
That's a pretty unfair dismissal.
Agree. Saw Satriani with Deep goddamn Purple in the 90s. You don't get to replace Blackmore in Purple MK2 - the Made in Japan line-up - if all you do is stupid guitar heroics.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Right Now was fucked. Best of Both Worlds was good.

Someone doing Eddie's stuff needs to sound like a train about to go the fuckin' tracks. Nuno would have been perfect.

Saying that....I will admit this sounds better than with Vic.

Is it Jason that keeps screwing up in these videos? They were really struggling to agree where the 1 was.
Last edited by FreddyFender on Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Is Jason really all that as a drummer? What has he really done, other than live off his dads legacy?
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:04 am Is Jason really all that as a drummer? What has he really done, other than live off his dads legacy?
Lose the weight? He's got that on Wolfie!
Nobodyspecial
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Nobodyspecial »

5150 sounded pretty good
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

I'm sure it's just a suggestion of songs they could end up playing, but the poster has 12 VH songs...and 9 Sammy non-VH tracks.

Van Halen tribute, my ass. He's going to play the same solo stuff he's played for the last thirty years, and throw in a few VH tracks he doesn't usually play just to get some ticket sales.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

I’m expecting that as well. Not the first time he’s bullshitted about playing a bunch of VH stuff and then just played his normal set.
killdrum
Opening for Slaughter

Post by killdrum »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 pm The solo aside, Joe was fucking terrible on that. You’d think they’d nail it in rehearsals before playing it in front of millions of people on Stern.
It's easy to arm chair quarterback this. But....Vic actually played those better,had a better tone and tried to at least get Ed's slinkly groove. Satch is stiff as fuck and didnt seem to spend nearly enough time digging in on these. Countless coverband guitarists do those better and don't have the audience. I mean his tone REALLY sucks.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

You’re nuts. Vic played VH stuff with Sam for twenty years and still sounded like someone with a broken arm. Even on his worst day Satriani would be better than Vic on his best day.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

It's bad enough that some people here stan for Spam, but for his band? :roll:
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:22 pm You’re nuts. Vic played VH stuff with Sam for twenty years and still sounded like someone with a broken arm. Even on his worst day Satriani would be better than Vic on his best day.
I think both things can be true. Vic (so far), did a better job of trying to mirror Eddie's tone, but he also did a shit job of approximating those guitar parts.

Joe can do the technical stuff better and more accurately, but he doesn't have the tone yet, it sounds like that he's just playing everything with his standard gear, which makes sense with this being a one off radio appearance, and they hadn't really rehearsed yet.

The tone and gear issues can be fixed, but if Vic was going to get any better at playing those parts, it would have happened years ago.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I'm obviously in the minority here but I thought Satch's latest album 'The Elephant of Mars' was fantastic. Take a listen to the opener 'Sahara'

Joe Satriani "Sahara" (Official Music Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMqn8h3kJzg
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

I'm not really up on the latest amp technology. But so many people rave about the modeling amps out there and how great they are at mimicking tones. Wouldn't it be fairly easy for Satriani or somebody in his camp to get dialed into EVH's signature tone and use it on tour?

Everybody seems to be using these amps on tour now. Holt had a bunch of Hanneman's stuff dialed into his Kemper to get his live sound when he toured with Slayer.

In a recent Kirk Hammett interview he says Metallica now uses them on tour as well.

Can't Satriani just get Ed's tone dialed into a modeling amp? Is it a simple or complicated process?
Last edited by Lobo on Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

He’s not going to sound like Ed even if Fattits WVH loaned him Ed’s old Frankenstrat and the Marshall Plexi he recorded the classic albums with.
kwf
Headlining Clubs

Post by kwf »

Chicken Soup > Van Hagar
Total Package
Gwrexx
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Gwrexx »

Everyone that bags on Vic about "he can't play the VH stuff" hasn't listened to him in the Circle at all apparently. He does just fine with the Van Hagar material and his tone is great. Yeah, he wasn't up to snuff originally when Sammy picked him but he's had no problem with that VH stuff other than Poundcake, which for the life of me I can't understand why but the tap harmonics that Eddie did on that song he TOTALLY gets wrong..Satch on the other hand gotten them correct just goofing off on Stern/Trunk so....

That said, if I were Sammy would I have chosen him back in the day as my guitarist? Hell no, but he's done just fine for what he's there for...but it was a great call to get Satch and he'll do great once they get some rehearsals in...
Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground for all my friends out on the burial ground. Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down. It's just that demon life has got me in its sway
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Good Christ people get over yourselves. Actually don't. Keep getting all worked up. It's hilarious...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557