Jazzmasters - Cool? Or ugly as shit?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Jazzmasters - Cool? Or ugly as shit?

Post by Grendel »

I’m on the fence about these.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: Jazzmasters - Cool? Or ugly as shit?

Post by sirthx2 »

I got one this year because I'm a degenerate collector and they have a really cool history. Also I was surprised that when I plugged it in and played it with some gain it roared like a freight train. Didn't expect that. I vote 'cool'.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Ugly as shit.

It's like they tried to make it uglier with all those tacky shit switches. No wonder Cobain loved them, with his "ugly is beautiful" aesthetic. He thought that about everything. his guitars, his painting, his sweaters, his choice of woman...
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

I think they get a worse rap as "ugly" than they really are because people have a penchant for getting them in stupid pastel colors and shit.

One in a classic Sunburst etc isn't really much different to me aesthetically than a Strat.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:08 pm Ugly as shit.

It's like they tried to make it uglier with all those tacky shit switches. No wonder Cobain loved them, with his "ugly is beautiful" aesthetic. He thought that about everything. his guitars, his painting, his sweaters, his choice of woman...
You commenting on the looks of a Jazzmaster is like David Duke commenting on the looks of Michelle Obama. OP, strike his comment from the record!
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Blech...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

Never mind the bollocks above. The JM middle position is a thing of beauty. Nothing at all like a quacky Strat 2 or 4 position.

Everybody rips out the rhythm circuit (or jams it with an eraser). Yes, it’s fucking stupid, but how much more stupid than marketing dummy neck pickups in EVH branded jackassery?

Not up to HardSkool on Vinteras or whatever the non AVRIs are these days, but grab a cheapo, a set of Duncan antiquities, and any fucking bridge but the stock one and it’s fluid and lyrical to an otherwise unrealizable degree.

(Or just get a Gretsch and be a man. Bigsby is the only other trem that compares, Floyd-o’s).
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

. . . Oh, also cool. In an ugly sort of way.

Like the Criss-clit of guitars, if you will.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

poisonheart wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:47 pm Never mind the bollocks above. The JM middle position is a thing of beauty. Nothing at all like a quacky Strat 2 or 4 position.

Everybody rips out the rhythm circuit (or jams it with an eraser). Yes, it’s fucking stupid, but how much more stupid than marketing dummy neck pickups in EVH branded jackassery?

Not up to HardSkool on Vinteras or whatever the non AVRIs are these days, but grab a cheapo, a set of Duncan antiquities, and any fucking bridge but the stock one and it’s fluid and lyrical to an otherwise unrealizable degree.

(Or just get a Gretsch and be a man. Bigsby is the only other trem that compares, Floyd-o’s).
Spittin' truth all over the yard!

Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

Who rips out the rhythm circuit? What do you mean by jammin with an eraser?
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Grendel wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:39 am Who rips out the rhythm circuit? What do you mean by jammin with an eraser?
It's an old Indian trick. :wink:

https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68490

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Cool, Jags too
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Jazzmasters are some of the most rockin’ guitars in history, baby.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Jim Root of Slipknot has a Jazzmaster endorsement. Talk about an odd pairing.

Gotta say though, the white one looks pretty cool:

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Lobo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:16 pm Jim Root of Slipknot has a Jazzmaster endorsement. Talk about an odd pairing.

Gotta say though, the white one looks pretty cool:

I dont understand why he and guys like John 5 get teles and jazzmasters, and then pack then full of humbuckers and make them not what they are supposed to be, but rather, just a regular humbucker guitar that has the outer shape cut into a dork guitar shape.

Why do they do this.

Play some pointy fucking guitars for fucks sakes! You're supposed to be metal!

i think they get sick of being pigeonholed, and think this makes them have some affinity with Keef or someone, even though they're chugging away in Drop C through a mesa boogie.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?