Why Slash “always hated” Kiss

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Why Slash “always hated” Kiss

Post by Turner Coates »

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/why-slash- ... ated-kiss/

While there might be evident similarities between Slash’s work with Guns N’ Roses and that of Kiss, namely their stadium-filling stadium rock, which is often guilty of delivering a hefty scent of cheese through the speakers, the top hat-donning axeman has made it clear that his not a fan of Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons’ group.

“Immediately after my interactions with the band, I started to hear lots of stories Slash was saying behind my back.” Stanley writes. “He called me gay, made fun of my clothes, all sorts of things designed to give him some sort of rock credibility at my expense. This was years before his top hat, sunglasses and dangling cigarette became a cartoon costume that he would continue to milk with the best of us for decades.”

However, the Kiss man claimed to have the final say only a few months later when Slash called, saying he wanted some free guitars. “You want me to help you get guitars after you went around saying all that s— about me behind my back?” Stanley allegedly told his younger counterpart. “You know, one thing you’re going to have to learn is not to air your dirty laundry in public. Nice knowing you. Go f— yourself.”

"I'm just here for the irony and the dancing."
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Why Slash “always hated” Kiss

Post by jens »

Turner Coates wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 am This was years before his top hat, sunglasses and dangling cigarette became a cartoon costume that he would continue to milk with the best of us for decades.”
Good observation, this is absolutely so
Turner Coates wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 am However, the Kiss man claimed to have the final say only a few months later when Slash called, saying he wanted some free guitars. “You want me to help you get guitars after you went around saying all that s— about me behind my back?” Stanley allegedly told his younger counterpart. “You know, one thing you’re going to have to learn is not to air your dirty laundry in public. Nice knowing you. Go f— yourself.”
This has to be made up though, as so much of Paul's autobio.
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

I hope Slash talked shit about his ear too. No way was Slash begging Paul for free guitars. :roll:
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

jens wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:25 pm This has to be made up though, as so much of Paul's autobio.
"I didnt write this book to thettle thcores, I wrote as a man's journey to find true happiness. And to thettle thcores."
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Is this real?
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Welcome to 2014 when Paul’s book came out.
wildside1969
Opening for Slaughter

Post by wildside1969 »

MattleyCrue wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:53 pm Is this real?
Yes, Slash talks about it in this Youtube interview he did with RockHard Magazine. Its the first minute and a half of the video. Slash said some thing about Paul in an interview with the LA Times and then later realized Paul was endorsed by BC Rich. He asked Paul to hook him up because he wanted to use one to record the Appetite For Destruction album. After Slash asked him for the favor Paul had a fit. The interview Slash did that pissed Paul off is the bottom link.

Slash on why he had no contact with Paul Stanley for years

https://youtu.be/Za1jKPb-eds?si=BDVec48ZgLKsMpWQ

Guns & Roses: Bad Boys Give It Their Best Shot

https://www.a-4-d.com/t2461-1986-07-06- ... eles-times
Last edited by wildside1969 on Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Here is also the documentary of when Paul first met GnR:

https://youtu.be/G0QtsO3Or0A?t=31
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Makes me like Slash even more...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Sounds like he hated Paul Stanley, not Kiss.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:56 pm Sounds like he hated Paul Stanley, not Kiss.
Who doesnt??
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Slash talked about all of this in his book. Pretty much the same as Paul said, only Paul said it without the swearing and didn't come across as such a badass in Slash's version.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:56 pm Sounds like he hated Paul Stanley, not Kiss.
Young Slash would rather have died than admitted that he likes anything uncool.

Hey Slashie how did that Poison audition go? Played any of the Anvil covers you used to play with Tidus Sloane?
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

That 86 interview isn’t the one Paul got fucked off about. That one Slash said Paul came to their show with a blonde trophy wife. Paul went to the show with Carol Kaye the publicist. Who was brunette.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Grendel wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:33 pm I hope Slash talked shit about his ear too. No way was Slash begging Paul for free guitars. :roll:
I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the claim. Slash loved BC Rich guitars in the early days and Paul was a long time BC Rich endorser.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:22 pm
Young Slash would rather have died than admitted that he likes anything uncool.

Hey Slashie how did that Poison audition go? Played any of the Anvil covers you used to play with Tidus Sloane?
Haven't you read his book? And him auditioning for Poison has been known since the 80s. He's always been upfront about that. As far as playing Anvil covers, he was on their DVD talking about them and speaking highly of them.
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Turner Coates wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 am This was years before his top hat, sunglasses and dangling cigarette became a cartoon costume that he would continue to milk with the best of us for decades.”
BWHAHAHHAHAHA
Stanley Eisen calling out people that dress up in cartoon costumes.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

AlexVonHaig wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:08 am
BWHAHAHHAHAHA
In this case, he's right. Slash and the rest of GnR were quite obviously chasing classic rock credibility during AFD and passing themselves off as more "real" than other LA hairbands.
But Stan knows a cartoon costume when he sees one.
I can give Adler a free pass, but that's because he didn't pretend to be anything else than a LA hairband guy who could just as well have been in LAG, Shark Island, Tomorrows' Child....
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:17 am
AlexVonHaig wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:08 am
BWHAHAHHAHAHA
In this case, he's right. Slash and the rest of GnR were quite obviously chasing classic rock credibility during AFD and passing themselves off as more "real" than other LA hairbands.
But Stan knows a cartoon costume when he sees one.
I can give Adler a free pass, but that's because he didn't pretend to be anything else than a LA hairband guy who could just as well have been in LAG, Shark Island, Tomorrows' Child....
I agree that the cliche look of most "hair" acts of the 80s was overdone and gimmicky but wearing leather tats and long hair is a long shot from imitating the Banana Splits for 50+ years
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

Can anyone imagine just what Appetite would have sounded like had Paul produced it?
Wednesday 13 Fan

Charles Bukaki wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:33 pm Can anyone imagine just what Appetite would have sounded like had Paul produced it?
Thankfully, there was never a chance of that happening.

It probably would have sounded like Kiss.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:00 pm
Charles Bukaki wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:33 pm Can anyone imagine just what Appetite would have sounded like had Paul produced it?

Given the time frame it probably would have sounded like Crazy Nights with a worse, one eared producer...
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:00 pm

Given the time frame it probably would have sounded like Crazy Nights with a worse, one eared producer...
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:32 pm
Who doesnt??

Word to the wig system, Huey.
skunklovestiger

Post by skunklovestiger »

jens wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:25 pm
Turner Coates wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 am However, the Kiss man claimed to have the final say only a few months later when Slash called, saying he wanted some free guitars. “You want me to help you get guitars after you went around saying all that s— about me behind my back?” Stanley allegedly told his younger counterpart. “You know, one thing you’re going to have to learn is not to air your dirty laundry in public. Nice knowing you. Go f— yourself.”

Wrong - its true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za1jKPb-eds
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

skunklovestiger wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:07 am
jens wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:25 pm

Wrong - its true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za1jKPb-eds
Yeah, Slash mentioned it in his biography and I think even said Paul was right and he learned from it, i.e. be aware of what you say in public.