Hall & Oates: Hall Sues Oates Over Hit Songs

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Hall & Oates: Hall Sues Oates Over Hit Songs

Post by CrankerBait »

DangerZone wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:13 pm
Turner Coates wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:52 pm Oates Recorded New Version of Hall & Oates Hit 'Maneater' — but Has No Idea If Daryl Hall Likes It

https://people.com/john-oates-maneater- ... ve-7965129

From the beginning, John Oates wanted “Maneater” to go reggae.
All Darryl has to do is play that for the judge.
Case closed in Halls favor
Not so sure about that. If anything, it suggests that Oates came up with the original as a reggae song, something that Hall has also confirmed in past interviews. Maybe Hall should be paid a royalty as one of the co-writers if the song is performed live or released as a new version, but he can't stop Oates from playing it, regardless of the arrangement.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

CrankerBait wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:37 am
DangerZone wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:13 pm
Turner Coates wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:52 pm Oates Recorded New Version of Hall & Oates Hit 'Maneater' — but Has No Idea If Daryl Hall Likes It

https://people.com/john-oates-maneater- ... ve-7965129

From the beginning, John Oates wanted “Maneater” to go reggae.
All Darryl has to do is play that for the judge.
Case closed in Halls favor
Not so sure about that. If anything, it suggests that Oates came up with the original as a reggae song, something that Hall has also confirmed in past interviews. Maybe Hall should be paid a royalty as one of the co-writers if the song is performed live or released as a new version, but he can't stop Oates from playing it, regardless of the arrangement.
I was just joking about how terrible that version is.

Paul McCartney was similar to D. Hall - read an interview where he went to a pub and saw sheet music for ‘hey Jude’ and his name was cut off since Lennon’s was first. This irked him into some sort of action.

It’s like they have 99% of the share but that last 1% eats them alive
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

Restraining Order Muzzles Oates ... Hall Says Keep My Songs Out of Your Mouth!!!
https://www.tmz.com/2023/11/23/hall-and ... olo-court/

Hall & Oates are on the outs over what songs John Oates is allowed to sing by himself ... sources familiar with the dispute tell TMZ.

The 2 -- BTW, the most successful duo in music history -- have been in arbitration, we're told, trying to work out the ground rules of who can sing what as a solo artist, along with money issues of course ... so say our sources.

Hall ran to court on November 16, asking for a restraining order against Oates ... and the judge granted that order the next day.

"There's gonna be a civil war!"
"Really? When?"
"Lemme check my phone."
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

I like Oates, but that reggae version of Maneater was unlistenable.
Bono Nettencourt
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

TooOldToCare wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:36 am I like Oates
Why? Is it the mustache?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:43 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:36 am I like Oates
Why? Is it the mustache?
If the price of the ride is right.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

My parents saw Hall & Oates at their lowpoint, playing some outdoor patio at a bar in South Carolina in the '90s. Those guys managed to wait it out, get themselves back in arenas, and are now going to torpedo the whole thing over John Oates solo shows?

I would think the lawyer bills over this cost more than anything Oates makes at a solo gig.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Yet another version of "the story."

Daryl Hall is suing John Oates over plan to sell stake in joint venture. A judge has paused the sale
https://apnews.com/article/hall-oates-l ... a592b021d9

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Daryl Hall has sued his longtime music partner John Oates, arguing that his plan to sell off his share of a joint venture would violate the terms of a business agreement the Hall & Oates duo had forged.

The move quickly prompted a judge to temporarily block the sale while legal proceedings and a previously initiated arbitration continue.

A Nashville chancery court judge issued the temporary restraining order on Nov. 16, writing that Oates and others involved in his trust can’t move to close the sale of their share of Whole Oats Enterprises LLP to Primary Wave IP Investment Management LLC until an arbitrator in a separately filed case weighs in on the deal, or until the judge’s order expires — typically within 15 days, unless a judge extends the deadline.

"Really? When?"
"Lemme check my phone."
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:33 pm Still dont know which is which.
I wasn't too sure either.

Thankfully the next post cleared it up. :lol:
LurkingAtWork wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:45 pm Hall has always come across as a dick. The bababooey looking guy seems alright
This story is great sludge.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

John Oates Opens Up About Partnership With Daryl Hall As Legal Battle Continues
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/john-oat ... 57f5cc783d

“You can’t ignore the fact that the Hall & Oates catalog of hits and the 50-year career will always trump almost anything that Daryl does on his own or I do on my own, which is OK, because I’m very proud of that music,” Oates said. “I think we made music that will stand the test of time.”

“But, at the same time, I’m not very nostalgic,” he said. “I make the analogy of what it’s like when you go to a great museum, and you’re really excited to go and see all the beautiful paintings or the exhibits or whatever it might be, and then near the end, your feet start to hurt and you say, ‘You know what? I can’t wait to get out of here.’ That’s kind of how I feel about it.”

"Really? When?"
"Lemme check my phone."
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

These puns are awful :lol: :lol:
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.